10-22-2012, 10:12 PM
User Info
does anyone use facial scrub? if so, what kind and how often?

I've been reading a lot of positive reviews about St. Ives apricot facial scrub and it's pretty cheap!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.d...gMethod=rr

or

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.d...gMethod=rr

40 5,830
 10-22-2012, 10:43 PM
User Info
From what I've read it does the same thing as scraping a sharp blade over the skin. So, I stopped.

9 2,988
 10-23-2012, 04:38 AM
  • Jack
  • Old School
  • Long Island
User Info
(10-22-2012, 10:43 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: From what I've read it does the same thing as scraping a sharp blade over the skin. So, I stopped.

That sums it up very well.

0 161
 10-23-2012, 04:45 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
I used to when my face had some acne, but it dried out my face really bad. Now a glycerin cleansing soap bar is all I need.
I have been using Lucky Tiger face scrub lately though, its pretty good and very mild on the skin.

5 447
 10-23-2012, 04:51 AM
User Info
(10-22-2012, 10:43 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: From what I've read it does the same thing as scraping a sharp blade over the skin. So, I stopped.

This saved me from all the typing.

31 7,912
 10-23-2012, 06:08 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I use one consistently. It's helped with my mild adult acne.

It's the Proactiv scrub with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. I also find it easier on my skin than any other scrub or soap. It doesn't dry me out at all.

It works well as a pre-shave too but it's too expensive for that all of the time.
If I shave before a shower, I'll use the a pre-shave bar or Neutrogena Razor Defense Scrub which is my second favorite scrub and also a great pre-shave and then the Proactiv twice a day, every day.

I follow that shaving is mechanical exfoliation but my nose and forehead need attention too. Biggrin

6 905
 10-23-2012, 10:22 AM
User Info
(10-23-2012, 06:08 AM)EHV Wrote: I follow that shaving is mechanical exfoliation but my nose and forehead need attention too. Biggrin

I admit the nose is a little hard, but the forehead isn't a problem. Biggrin

Luckily my forehead is pretty youthful looking and thankfully free of any skin problems. So I don't bother with it too often.

Regarding the rest of my face, I've found that the salycilic acid things, benzoyl peroxide, and most importantly a disinfectant splash (AS or 50/50 alcohol water mix) has worked pretty well since I started at keeping the adult acne at bay. *knocks on wood*

edit: I could just be getting old too....

9 2,988
 10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
The only time I scrub my face is in the shower, and I usually use Cetaphil or Dove, because they are less drying for me than the other soaps that I use for cleaning the rest if me.

184 12,002
 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM
User Info
(10-23-2012, 10:46 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: The only time I scrub my face is in the shower, and I usually use Cetaphil or Dove, because they are less drying for me than the other soaps that I use for cleaning the rest if me.

that's when I would use it as well.

40 5,830
 10-24-2012, 06:14 PM
User Info
To take what John stated a bit further, i never scrub my face as i only use water, principally, except when i apply the later on the neck and cheeks, but i never use anything near the upper-face (eye area) and forehead except for water. i am not sure if it is the Unrefined Shea Butter, my diet, or what, but my skin is usually in great condition and very smooth and soft and at my age, i am very fortunate.

75 20,883
 10-25-2012, 04:51 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
In the Shower ...

I am experimenting with a Face Wash (Daily) and a Facial Cleanser (Once a Week).

The Face Wash will probably be replaced with a bar of cheap Glycerin Soap.

But, I wash my entire face with the soap.

I am proaably like Celestino in that my skin is usually in great condition and very smooth & soft at my age but, I am thinking what the heck and why not.

And it leaves me less Grumpy.

1 819
 10-26-2012, 12:34 PM
User Info
Prior to getting into wetshaving some 5 yrs. ago, I used highly commercial, low-end products: shower gels and facial washes. Often, a facial wash would contain little exfoliating beads, usually too soft or insignificant in size to do of any benefit.

Once I picked up this hobby, I, of course, bought shaving soaps galore. I switched, then, to bath soap. I have a tremendous collection and like rotating. It's hard to say, as many are so similar, which is best - but the true Anglican Yarldey's of London in Lavender, not to be mistaken with the far less fragrant US variety, made, I believe, in CT; the Anglican line also has an English Rose whose scent is very reminiscent of T&H's Rose SC.

For American bar soaps, I like all varieties of Irish Spring & Ivory, the latter of which is freer of chemicals. Neither contains detergents, as found in body washes and "beauty bars," like Dove.

As far as exfoliation is concerned, I use a sea-wool sponge. Every few days, I'll bring it in the shower with me, and, much like face-lathering with a brush and shave stick, I put some soap on my face and then apply the sponge to it, in gentle circular motions.

I cannot stress enough how much this practice improves the overall appearance of one's skin.

I use that sponge on body too, a few times a week.

Important to Note: Don't buy a faux sea-wool sponge but an authentic one. The package will say which it is. The artificial ones basically are like kitchen sponges and get overly wet and lack any abrasion.

I know stores sell the authentic ones for ~30 dollars, but I find mine in the 3-5 dollar range at drugstores, supermarkets, etc.

Just make sure it's authentic!

ANYWAY,

0 257
 10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Shea Moisture and Burt's Bees make decent scrubs. The Shea Moisture doesn't even feel like a scrub. It's called a "scrub/wash". Kiehl's makes a pre-shave scrub that I like, but definitely more drying. Important here is WHEN you use one. Some do better with them if you use them at night before bed, and then shave in the morning. Alot of guys say to limit them to every few days, no more than about 3 x's a week. That's about my personal limit. More might be too much, and some can be drying, as noted above. Some with alot of moisture can turn your face into putty. Scrubs help free up trapped whiskers, it's the salicylic acid in some at work here, and help shave closer by clearing off surface debris. Overdoing the abrasion thing helps nothing and can cause mechanical acne.
Most days, it's a washup with Basis Sensitive (recommendation from a dermatologist) or Dr. Bronner's Baby-Mild. Then, it's whackin' time !

0 1,291
 10-31-2012, 07:58 AM
User Info
I use a natural bar soap, like Dr. Bronners and a real soft loofa to as a preshave treatment, it works very well

0 34