10-23-2012, 08:32 AM
User Info
One of the sad things of my lifetime is that many of the famous American companies are now foreign-owned.

http://money.msn.com/investing/c_gallery...=250221363

Budweiser (Belgium and Brazil)
Alka Seltzer (German)
Good Humor Ice Cream (Dutch)
7-Eleven (Japan)
Gerber (Swiss)
Firestone (Japan)
John Hancock Insurance (Canada)
Frigidaire (Sweden)
Chrysler Building (Eqypt)
Holiday Inn (U.K.)

0 282
 10-23-2012, 08:47 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-23-2012, 08:32 AM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: One of the sad things of my lifetime is that many of the famous American companies are now foreign-owned.

http://money.msn.com/investing/c_gallery...=250221363

Budweiser (Belgium and Brazil)
Alka Seltzer (German)
Good Humor Ice Cream (Dutch)
7-Eleven (Japan)
Gerber (Swiss)
Firestone (Japan)
John Hancock Insurance (Canada)
Frigidaire (Sweden)
Chrysler Building (Eqypt)
Holiday Inn (U.K.)

I have to agree, it wasn't long ago I was ranting about lousy outsourced support I was dealing with (India) and my nephew says it's a world economy and doesn't matter who owns what or where things are made or done. I was completely shocked, I'm not an old timer by any means, but being born in the 70's and almost 40 now, I believe my generation is among the last to really appreciate what Made in the USA means...sign of the times I guess.

31 1,510
 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I was unaware of 7-Eleven but knew about the rest. I worked my way through high school and part of college working for The Southland Corp who started 7-Eleven.

The only one of those that bothers me is the Chrysler Building.

173 23,554
 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
The largest American owned brewer is Samuel Adams with 1% market share.

They might have a larger market share now the numbers were from a documentary I saw called "Beer Wars" that came out in 2009 (great documentary by the way available on Netflix).

1 111
 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM
User Info
Apple.

All our shoe companies with the exception of AE & Alden.
Suit makers with the exception of HSM & HF & Oxxford. Maybe BB, but I think they moved to Canada?

Auto parts makers.... I'm going to stop. Too many to name.

The same is true for Europe though, its not just an American problem.

9 2,988
 10-23-2012, 10:42 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
This is worldwide. When I am in Scotland each summer you see "Buy British" everywhere. When was the last time any major product was made in a single country? Even the two major commercial airplane builders, Boeing (American) and Airbus (European) have parts made in each other's territory.

Interestingly, I haven't heard any comments about the products that are native to other countries but are owned by American firms. H.J. Heinz comes to mind. While the company's ketchup is known around the world, it also owns products sold exclusively in one country. Many of these products were gained through acquisitions (http://www.heinz.com/CSR2011/economic/me...tions.aspx).

2 11,211
 10-23-2012, 06:51 PM
User Info
Oakley, Ray-Ban, Polo, Ralph Lauren, The Sunglass Hut, Pearl Vision, Lens Crafters pretty much any famous eyewear brand and eyewear retail location you can name are all owned, licensed and manufactured by one Italian company- Luxottica.

5 938