10-23-2012, 09:36 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I store my soaps in the linen closet in the bathroom. I have never had any issues with my soaps being stored there.

Today I was surprised when I opened my Taylor of Bond Street Avocado, it had become a liquid. It did lather but not to the previous levels.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with TOBS shave soaps? Any insight to why this happened?

1 3,507
 10-23-2012, 09:45 AM
User Info
It happened to a Salter's shaving cream. I understand exposure to warm temperatures cause this commonly in Salter's creams. I moved the Salter's to the refrigerator, and it firmed up, but it turned out to be only temporary. Evidently, once they melt, the Salter's don't seem to want to remain firm for long.

24 1,151
 10-23-2012, 09:46 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Yes , the same happened to me and with an Avocado shaving cream . Put it on the fridge , as Gary has told you , and later , on a place where it doesnt get too warm.Eventually it will get a harder consistency , but not like when you got it , Im sorry to say.Its not ruin , you can use it , but I prefer creams with a much harder consistency rather than liquid.

86 7,123
 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I've only heard of TOBS creams drying out to croap like consistency, never really heard of it going to liquid. I had a tub of Avocado for about 6 months, rarely used and when I traded it the consistency was the same as it was on the day I bought it.

31 1,510
 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
User Info
Had a TOBS Sandalwood cream in a tub that dried to croap consistency, and continued to work well. Have a TOBS Rose cream in a tub that has not "melted". Both stored on an upper shelf in my bathroom, so they are kept on the warm side. Oh, forgot; have a puck of TOBS Sandalwood soap that has remained as soap in the same location as my creams.

3 543
 10-27-2012, 07:43 AM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
(10-23-2012, 09:46 AM)Teiste Wrote: Yes , the same happened to me and with an Avocado shaving cream . Put it on the fridge , as Gary has told you , and later , on a place where it doesnt get too warm.Eventually it will get a harder consistency , but not like when you got it , Im sorry to say.Its not ruin , you can use it , but I prefer creams with a much harder consistency rather than liquid.
My TOBS Lavender cream arrived "soupy". I learned not to order creams during the hot summer months. I stirred it with a toothpick and put it in the fridge for awhile. Its still not as it should be. When I use it I just dip my brush into it. It still works fine.

7 898