10-24-2012, 12:28 AM
User Info
Who likes it and who doesn't?

I've been using it more recently, and I'm presently sitting on the fence.

Does it soothe the skin? Not really. I feel like it makes the areas the razor roughed up up sting more, grow redder in color.

My face also feels uncomfortable after application: dry, tight, and stinging for some time.

Yet it's just salt and, as such, presumably better for the skin than alcohol AS, which burns for a second then leaves the skin well-soothed.

Regarding its use, how much do you rub on? Do you put your moisturizer/balm on over it, or do you rinse your face between the application of the Alum and your moisturizer/balm?

0 257
 10-24-2012, 05:34 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
I have been using alum as an aftershave when I first started wetshaving properly.
I found it didn't add much to my routine, so I stopped using it. Only use it when I have a nick now.
I find that witch hazel does a better job at soothing and toning.

However, when I used it I would rub my wet face with a wet alum block. Let it sit for about 90 secs while in the meantime I would clean up my gear. After that I rinsed, dried my face with a towel and applied a balm. Letting the alum sit on my face gave me a very dry and tight feeling. But I have read some people like to let it stay on the face. YMMV, I guess.

5 447
 10-24-2012, 06:16 AM
User Info
It causes serious razor bumps for me, every time. And it takes about a week to clear up. I stay far away from alum.

72 1,407
 10-24-2012, 09:00 AM
User Info
Ya, I've had the same bar for 3 yrs., and it's barely gotten smaller.

The few times I've used it I've felt it's magnified my irritation, not reduced.

0 257
 10-25-2012, 05:04 PM
User Info
I use it after every shave. I rub the block lightly on my face, and leave it on while I do my post-shave routine. I then use witch hazel on my face, followed by Trumper's Skin Food. My skin ends up smooth and firm.

37 2,975
 10-26-2012, 10:11 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I only use it occasionally, when I need to stop a tiny nick from bleeding. As has been mentioned, I hate the dry tight feeling left on my skin from using an alum block on my entire shaved area. For me, witch hazel is definitely the better option. Others may feel differently, though.

2 11,211
 10-27-2012, 01:14 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
+1 for TheLegalRazor. I enjoy it. It seals minor cuts and its antiseptic properties are great. No razor bumps and faster healing.

16 545