10-24-2012, 04:27 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I have been contemplating my journey from simply wet-shaving with a cartridge and canned goo to the brotherhood of double and single edge shaving using much higher quality brushes and software.

On November 1st I will have been cartridge free (and a card carrying member of the traditional shaver's union :>) for one full year and I have no intention of ever going back. I do have one big complaint about my transition however, and it has to do with some bewildering decisions being made at some of the various product manufacturers regarding discontinuation of some of the most remarkably wonderful shaving products. And the amazing thing is that this has all happened during the relatively short period of time that I have even been looking for the holy grail products to shave with.

So, even though I have stocked up on many (most) of these items, I know that I will one day run out and it infuriates me to know that someday, I will never be able to purchase them again.

Here is my list of beloved discontinued items (since I began DE shaving) : What would be on your list:?

1. Floid Blue Aftershave (=only have 8 bottles of this stored up)
2. Irisch Moos Shave Stick (only have 2 of these)
3. P160 (only have 1 shaving mug full of this)
4. Razorock XXX (only have 3 of these)

18 281
 10-24-2012, 05:24 PM
User Info
You're sitting better than I am man. I have one bottle of Floid, one tiny piece of Irisch Moos, and none of the other stuff.

I agree, it does suck that all the best products are not being produced anymore. The best we can do, is just hold onto the memory and keep on keepin on Joe Dirt Style.

I say for now, just enjoy what you got and make the best of it. We can only hope that one day these people will get back around to making these items again. There are some items that were discontinued only to come back later. So for now, I'll use my Floid for special occasions.

2 396
 10-24-2012, 05:44 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
(10-24-2012, 05:24 PM)MegaBullfrog Wrote: I agree, it does suck that all the best products are not being produced anymore. The best we can do, is just hold onto the memory and keep on keepin on Joe Dirt Style.

I say for now, just enjoy what you got and make the best of it. We can only hope that one day these people will get back around to making these items again. There are some items that were discontinued only to come back later. So for now, I'll use my Floid for special occasions.

You are so right my friend, and there are many great replacements out there too. It just seems that every time I find what I think is "the perfect solution" "the end all, be all", then it won't be long till that item is doomed.

To be perfectly honest I could be happy with many of the products that are available and have been around a long time, and it's not really a matter of not having great quality products available, it just really stinks when it happens to one of your favorites.

18 281
 10-24-2012, 06:08 PM
User Info
DEs + blades
Tallow soaps
These would put a big damper if they disappeared. Hee hee.

At the moment, nothing except two artisan soap makers would be a major disappointment if they stopped making my two only soaps that i use.

75 20,883
 10-24-2012, 06:18 PM
User Info
I haven't even tried my Floid yet, so I don't know if I like it. The Irisch Moos smelled good, so I'll have to get around to using that too.

2 396
 10-24-2012, 08:19 PM
User Info
Well, I join you in the discontinuation of P160, but I'm sitting pretty there, and there are substitutes that are almost (but not quite) up to P160 quality.

P160 is about it for me, and not even so much there. I'm good.

32 6,308
 10-24-2012, 08:24 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-24-2012, 04:27 PM)daccpa Wrote: I have been contemplating my journey from simply wet-shaving with a cartridge and canned goo to the brotherhood of double and single edge shaving using much higher quality brushes and software.

On November 1st I will have been cartridge free (and a card carrying member of the traditional shaver's union :>) for one full year and I have no intention of ever going back. I do have one big complaint about my transition however, and it has to do with some bewildering decisions being made at some of the various product manufacturers regarding discontinuation of some of the most remarkably wonderful shaving products. And the amazing thing is that this has all happened during the relatively short period of time that I have even been looking for the holy grail products to shave with.

So, even though I have stocked up on many (most) of these items, I know that I will one day run out and it infuriates me to know that someday, I will never be able to purchase them again.

Here is my list of beloved discontinued items (since I began DE shaving) : What would be on your list:?

1. Floid Blue Aftershave (=only have 8 bottles of this stored up)
2. Irisch Moos Shave Stick (only have 2 of these)
3. P160 (only have 1 shaving mug full of this)
4. Razorock XXX (only have 3 of these)

This of it this way...you are now well stocked for the Mournful Monday Shaves

45 16,278
 10-24-2012, 08:26 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Luckily my only addiction to a discontinued product is Floid Blue, but unfortunately I only have 1 bottle with 75% remaining. I know it is still available in a few places but I am not paying $50-60 per bottle. I'll enjoy it sparingly until it is gone and then try to forget about it. Tongue

31 1,510
 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
If I have it and like, I am stocking for 3 lifetimes. If I don't have it and they stopped making it, hell with it, won't even try it.

88 4,233
 10-24-2012, 10:57 PM
User Info
(10-24-2012, 06:08 PM)celestino Wrote: DEs + blades
Tallow soaps

At the moment, nothing except two artisan soap makers would be a major disappointment if they stopped making my two only soaps that i use.

I hope that those two aren't Mystic Water and Mike's. I hear they're both closing their doors.

9 1,199
 10-24-2012, 11:16 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
1.RazoRock XXX

And thats it , so far.I do have 2 Irisch Moos sticks , which I like , but not that much to really miss...

86 7,123
 10-25-2012, 02:37 AM
User Info
(10-24-2012, 10:57 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote:
Tallow soaps

I hope that those two aren't Mystic Water and Mike's. I hear they're both closing their doors.

????? Tell me that this is humor?

3 452
 10-25-2012, 02:47 AM
User Info
(10-24-2012, 08:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, I join you in the discontinuation of P160, but I'm sitting pretty there, and there are substitutes that are almost (but not quite) up to P160 quality.

I have a nice, heavy block of p160 that Teiste sent me a while ago that I haven't tried yet. should I bring it out to try soon? Biggrin

40 5,830
 10-25-2012, 08:04 AM
User Info
(10-25-2012, 02:37 AM)redrako Wrote:
(10-24-2012, 10:57 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote:
Tallow soaps

????? Tell me that this is humor?

Shhhh, I'm trying to see how high I can get Celestino to jump.Wink

9 1,199
 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM
User Info
Thanks Randy,

Even though my heart raced a bit this morning, I know that your cause was noble! Smile

3 452
 10-25-2012, 05:40 PM
User Info
(10-25-2012, 02:47 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote:
(10-24-2012, 08:19 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, I join you in the discontinuation of P160, but I'm sitting pretty there, and there are substitutes that are almost (but not quite) up to P160 quality.

I have a nice, heavy block of p160 that Teiste sent me a while ago that I haven't tried yet. should I bring it out to try soon? Biggrin

I would. Or sell it. But if it was me I'd use it, and enjoy it. It won't get better by aging. Be sure to make an ultralather with it so as to get what the soap has to offer and not test your lather making ability.

32 6,308