02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Some question about what is in Sultans shave soap cream.

Sultans is made with: Palm Oil, Stearic Acid ,Coconut Oil, Aqua, Potassium Hydroxide, Potassium Carbonate, Citric Acid, Fragrance, Vitamin E

I have a sample of the sandalwood that was just sent to me. After two shaves I have drawn the conclusion that is pretty good and makes a lot of rich lather. Originally I didn't like the first sample but they might have changed the formula. I just ordered two containers of it.

100 12,438
 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I too received a sample of their reformulated (according to their eBay listed samples) Sandalwood cream. I have not had a chance to try it yet, but the initial sniff test did not give me any hints of Sandalwood as I know it. Perhaps it will open up when it is lathered tomorrow morning. I plan on shaving with the new sample then doing a side by side lather with both samples to see if I notice any difference.

127 2,375
 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
They used to refuse to provide a ingredient list. Now they've re-formulated and finally provide a ingredient list...makes me really wonder what was actually in the first batch. Dodgy

31 1,510
 02-01-2013, 01:52 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(02-01-2013, 01:42 PM)Arcadies Wrote: They used to refuse to provide a ingredient list. Now they've re-formulated and finally provide a ingredient list...makes me really wonder what was actually in the first batch. Dodgy

We will never know but the first sample I got last year didn't make lather too easy. The new sample (reformulated) does have a slight hint of sandalwood and lathers very easy. What I like in particular about the new batch is when I mixed it no clumps were left as the case with Cella.

100 12,438
 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
As I posted earlier I recieved the Lavender sample and I liked it pretty well. Then the other day, out of the blue, I recieved a Bay Rum sample. Havnt tried it yet.

7 898
 02-01-2013, 10:41 PM
User Info
(02-01-2013, 07:38 PM)Deano Wrote: As I posted earlier I recieved the Lavender sample and I liked it pretty well. Then the other day, out of the blue, I recieved a Bay Rum sample. Havnt tried it yet.

That happened to me too. I had the Signature Scent first, then the Bay Rum just a couple of weeks ago. The Bay Rum is a new formulation. I have them out to try this weekend.

Pat

0 836
 02-02-2013, 03:11 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I just got a sandalwood sample in the mail today out of the blue. I was quite surprised, but it smells good...

35 1,732
 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM
User Info
I, too, have been recieving samples from them. Got 3 new ones to try. Appreciate it and look forward to trying them out.

Wonder why though??

4 952
 02-02-2013, 04:06 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
I had the Signature sample, which I thought was quite good, and received a sample of the Sandalwood cream today. Very nice of them. If the Sandalwood is as good as the Signature, they have another winner.

0 230
 02-02-2013, 06:28 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I got a sample of Almond a while back, and a sample of Rose today. I haven't tried either, yet, since I'm not particularly fond of creams.

SWMBO said she might like to try the Rose. I told her I would be glad to let her try a brush & show her how to use it. We'll see!

~Frank

18 271
 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
User Info
I just got my third sample from them today, the Lavender. I love lavender scent so I'm excited about this. Pretty cool that they continue to send out samples, in spite of their little hiccup here when they first started.

Tonight I'll use their Signature Scent, which is what they first sent.

0 836
 02-02-2013, 10:21 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I attempted to face lather my new Sandalwood sample this morning and got an ok shave. This sample size combined with the consistency of the soap makes it hard to face lather and ultimately this was the cause of my issues I'm afraid. I scooped a fair amount of soap out of the sample and attempted to smear it on my face. The soap is soft enough to scoop out, but it doesn't take to smearing very well so it was a challenge to transfer from my finger to my face. I finally managed to get it done and attacked the soap with my 26mm Frank's finest fan brush. The lather was pretty good for the first pass providing a good layer of slick lather. I was using my Sanguine "shavette" so the pace was leisurely and the lather proved stable.

For the second pass I was already running low on lather. This brush needed more soap to make application easier, but I pressed on re-applying lather halfway through the second and then third pass. Overall I would say that this is a good product, but I will have to give it another shot to determine if it is worthy of a great designation. The scent really fell short in my sample, it was too light and not distinguished enough. When I use a Sandalwood product I expect to smell Sandalwood and I don't remember even detecting it.

I will be giving it another shot sometime this week, but definitely be using a bowl to lather. I prefer to face lather so buying a full size product might be the only way I could truly get a feel for the performance in that respect. It will need to really blow my socks off though to get that chance.

127 2,375
 02-02-2013, 11:31 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-02-2013, 03:13 PM)MichaelD Wrote: I, too, have been recieving samples from them. Got 3 new ones to try. Appreciate it and look forward to trying them out.

Wonder why though??

They're probably aware that their old formulation is unpopular so they want to get the word out, assuming the new works better.

10 1,858
 02-03-2013, 09:47 AM
User Info
I also got a sample of Lavender cream out of the blue yesterday. Unfortunately it sat outside overnight in sub-freezing temps. I hope that didn't ruin it.

10 2,062
 02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
User Info
Using their old formula last night (from when they first offered samples on this forum in October), I got a a great, slick lather but it did tend to clump up and even though I thought I mixed it up well, I still had an unmixed gob of it deep in my brush when I went to rinse it out. I like to take a dip of cream and smoosh it into the brush prior to face lathering, but I won't be doing that with this soap again.

Aside from that little nit, I had no problems with the cream. I used not quite an almond sized gob and had more than for 3 passes and touchups. I did find that it took a LOT of water, but once there, the lather was fantastic.

The scent I have in this sample is the signature scent. Nice, but not one I would pick.

Tonight I'll use their Bay Rum scent, out of a sample that they sent a few weeks ago. From my understanding this is a different formula than the one I tried last night and the texture is different too.

0 836
 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I received a sample of the new formulation today in the sandalwood scent. I haven't shaved with it yet, but just sniffing it in the container the scent is identical to the "signature" scent sample I received back in November and smells nothing like sandalwood. Huh
Perhaps the scent will change once I lather it up for tomorrows shave, if not I suspect they may have labeled the sample incorrectly or they're using an ingredient in their base that has a very potent scent.

31 1,510
 02-04-2013, 02:45 PM
User Info
Last night I used the Bay Rum sample I received about a month ago. I don't think this is their current formulation. It has a consistency similar to AdP. This time I took a scoop out and smeared it on my face prior to lathering. I don't care for applying it this way, but it worked and I had plenty of excellent lather from a peanut sized glob. I'll use a smaller amount next time.

Tonight I'll try the lavender sample of their current formulation. It seems creamy enough that I can just put the glob directly in my brush as I normally do with creams.

So far I've been very happy with the results of these samples.

0 836
 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I shaved with the new sandalwood formulation this morning. The scent was fairly lackluster, I never did really detect much if any sandalwood. I mostly just got a heavy "lotion" like scent that was also present in the "signature" sample I received last year, which reminded me of a lotion from Avon my mother used when I was a child. So either the scent is from a ingredient in the base, or their signature scent also has what they consider sandalwood mixed in, either way it smelled nothing like any sandalwood I've ever tried, artificial or natural.

Anyway, the scent isn't unpleasant despite not being able to really pin it down. It has the consistency of a thick toothpaste, much like the old formulation and easily whips up some seriously thick lather without leaving any clumps. It is a very thirsty and concentrated cream, I used about half the sample, roughly 2-3g of product and it just kept sucking up water and ended up requiring about 4x what I use in most other products.

I was rewarded with an abundance of very thick and slick lather, honestly I could have gotten away with using half the product as once my 3 pass shave was finished I had enough left for at least 3 more passes. Post shave feel was very nice and my face felt soft and well hydrated. If they improved the fragrances a bit this would be a very nice cream (they can call it a soap if they want, it's a cream) at $12 for 5 ounces and it's current potency you're looking at at least 90-100 shaves per tub, not bad.

31 1,510
 02-05-2013, 01:15 PM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
I got a sample of the Sandalwood today. Their product does have the consistancy of a cream. Ive tried a couple of their other samples and look forward to trying this one. So far ive liked what ive tried. Has anyone tried their Rose shave cream? If it has a nice rose scent I will likely order a tub of it.

7 898
 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM
User Info
(02-05-2013, 09:29 AM)Arcadies Wrote: I was rewarded with an abundance of very thick and slick lather, honestly I could have gotten away with using half the product as once my 3 pass shave was finished I had enough left for at least 3 more passes. Post shave feel was very nice and my face felt soft and well hydrated. If they improved the fragrances a bit this would be a very nice cream (they can call it a soap if they want, it's a cream) at $12 for 5 ounces and it's current potency you're looking at at least 90-100 shaves per tub, not bad.

I just tried their latest formula and like you I had lather to spare. Since this was a creamier texture than the first two samples I scooped out more than I should have. As you mention, it's s very thirsty cream so by the time I had added enough water, I had lather flinging and falling all over while I face lathered. I found this cream to be very, very slick.

The skin conditioning properties are also very nice. I was tempted to forgo the ASB, but used some anyway, just to use it.

Where I differ from your review is the scent. I was very happy with this one. My sample is of lavender and I found to have the perfect amount of scent. Enough to easily smell it throughout the shave, but not enough to be annoying.

All in all, Sultan's will be on my short list of products to buy after I knock out a few of my existing products, and I'll probably get the lavender.

0 836