Poll: Shaving before or after the shower :which one give you better results?
I shave before a shower
I shave after a shower None.I only apply hot water on my face before my shave. I apply a hot towel and thats all. Another method.
 10-25-2012, 12:24 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
So , what do you prefer , or which method gives you better results , to shave before or after the shower?

I shave before the shower.I found that with the extra dry and sensitive skin that I have , I cant stand hot water on my face for over 1 minute , since that dries out even more my skin (and the water here is super hard also).So I shave before the shower , apply some pre shave oil , shower , and apply some after shave lotion/balm or Jojoba Oil.

So , what about you?

86 7,123
 10-25-2012, 12:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I started out years ago showering at night and shaving in the morning, and it has always worked well for me. I can understand if someone wants to shower first, but I personally do not think one way is better than the other.

173 23,540
 10-25-2012, 02:42 AM
User Info
I shave after my evening shower, but for no other reason than that's how I have always done it (and it is convenient for me).

I have very occasionally shaved a few hours pre-shower, but did not notice any difference that would make want to change my routine.

31 1,800
 10-25-2012, 02:45 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
(10-25-2012, 12:30 AM)Johnny Wrote: I started out years ago showering at night and shaving in the morning, and it has always worked well for me. I can understand if someone wants to shower first, but I personally do not think one way is better than the other.

This goes for me aswell. Evening shower, morning shave. Works just fine for me.

5 447
 10-25-2012, 05:34 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I have no preference, depending on my mood or schedule I will do either. My usual preferred routine is a night shave just before bed with only hot water/MRGLO prep and shower in the morning to wake my lazy ass up.

31 1,510
 10-25-2012, 05:40 AM
User Info
I almost always shower before I shave. For me the shower is very much part of the process. Being awake before shaving seems like a good idea, and there's no way I could just hop out of bed and be alert enough to avoid slicing myself up.

That said, I have been known to shave in the afternoon or evening, sans shower, if I have something going on that night and want to look my best. It works without major problems, but I'm keeping my routine.

0 98
 10-25-2012, 05:56 AM
User Info
I always shave after a shower. It was the same when I used carts and goo, and even years before when I used electric exclusively.

10 2,062
 10-25-2012, 06:08 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Shave before the shower and finish off with cold water to seal the pores.

100 12,444
 10-25-2012, 06:12 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I always shave before a shower. This ensures that I do not have left over lather in my ears and also gives me the best results.

When I shower first, it almost feels like the razor skips across my skin. I do not know if this is due to my hard water or what but it is definitely not ideal.

45 16,346
 10-25-2012, 06:31 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Like Johnny a shower at night ensures a clean hot lather shave in the morning. I find the sweat of the shower lingers and gets in the way of the shave.

42 1,041
 10-25-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info
I typically shave after a shower, even though I've noticed better results when shaving before I shower. The only reason I can think of that I still shower first is that I really need the shower to wake me up better before I shave. However, I'll have a new routine shortly with the arrival of my WaterRower. I plan on rowing upon waking. Shaving before or after the shower following a workout will be something I experiment with to see which I prefer.

31 7,914
 10-25-2012, 08:24 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I do both. I see no benefit in one or the other. Prep is most important, be it in the shower or at the sink.
One thing for sure, it's much easier to get that lather out of your ears in the shower Biggrin

88 4,233
 10-25-2012, 09:05 AM
User Info
Depending on how things go on any particular day, I may shave before the shower, after the shower, or just shaving with no shower at all. I cannot tell the difference in terms of shave quality or ease. I do notice that shaving after shower is more pleasant, because the bathroom is warmed up. then again, having my feet on a cold tile floor DOES tend to wake me up! Biggrin

15 316
 10-25-2012, 09:19 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Always before the shower. I can't stand shaving in a steamy, warm/hot bathroom.
The shower also seems to soothe my skin after the shave too and as mentioned above, all residue of cream or soap is washed away.

6 905
 10-25-2012, 10:58 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I enjoy a hot shower before shaving.Warms the bathroom up, makes the air moist too. Enhancing the atmosphere for the shave.

1 3,507
 10-25-2012, 04:41 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I now shave after the shower. I wash my face and use cleanser while in the shower.

Then, after I get out of the shower I move to the sink and I do another pre-shave step or two and then shave. (My shower is in a different room than the sink.)

When I am done, I rinse with Hot Water then, Cold Water and rub face with Alum Block, (clean my brush/scuttle/razor) rinse with Cold Water and apply Witch Hazel and then After-Shave Balm.

1 819
 10-25-2012, 05:29 PM
User Info
Before the shower if they occur consecutively. The only reason I do so is that I want to use the mirror for the shave and it'll fog during/after the shower.

32 6,309
 10-25-2012, 06:31 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I prefer shave before shower - usually in the evening. Most of the time it's followed by a nice soak in the hot tub.

~Frank

18 271
 10-26-2012, 06:43 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I always shave right after my shower.

45 3,955
 10-26-2012, 07:35 AM
  • J_fro
  • From the 716!
User Info
I shower then shave after addressing my coif.
Has to be this way for me. I do not have as sensitive skin as some folks and there is no way a shave from the night before will look ok at 2pm on me.

12 648