10-25-2012, 03:26 AM
User Info
I have noticed a several times here and other places that a person will say "I used it once, never again" or have a brand new razor for sale. "Used exactly once, it wasn't for me".

If I would have used that logic, I would not be using one of my top 3 blades (7 o'cock blue) or my new Red Tip.

My first use of the 7 o'clock blue was not a good one, I thought the blade was terrible, but I decided to put in a new one the next day and it gives me most of my best shaves.

Fast forward to last week, I get in a Red Tip to try for the first time. It is the only birth year/quarter razor in my possession so I really wanted to like it.
Put in a 7 o'clock blue and proceeded to shave. It was a terrible shave Huh
Do I not like the red tip? The next night was a date night so I took the blade and put it in the Cadet, not much better a shave (and I get great shaves from the cadet).

Long story short, last night I put a new 7 o'clock blue in my Red Tip, and it was a BBS Smile

Most every brand of blade I have used more than 20 times has had a dud.

I am curious...Why do some folks only try a new blade or razor out just once, when they may be missing out on some good hardware? (Same goes for soaps/creams)

For any brand new folks out there, give a product a chance. There could be any number of reasons for an off performance.

31 1,800
 10-25-2012, 04:58 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I assume that it is a function of time.

Blades are cheap and so it is easy to dump those.

As for Soaps or Creams ... well if you don't like the scent or how it lathers or how it feels there is no one that says you have to continue to use it.

And a Razor ... well maybe you do not like its weight, the feel, the length, or how it shaves.

For me I would use each product (Razor, Blade, Soap, Cream) until I was done with it.

I have one soap that I got off the Bay that would probably make a better bath soap than a shaving soap. But, I am thinking that I will add some KMF and/or Glycerin to it to see if I can salvage it.

With that being said I would prefer to use a Soap or a Cream without adding any other cream or glycerin to it but, for this crappy shaving soap I will make an exception.

1 819
 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM
User Info
I agree Bowhnter, I don't think it's happened publically yet, but whenever someone privately suggests "one try and done", I always suggest giving it time. The hard part was finding "it" whatever it happens to be. Surely it deserves a chance.

One exception... Dorco blades. I'm guilty of one and done with them, but 2 different models and they both are the pits? What are the chances?

32 6,311
 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM
User Info
I believe that for many traditional shaving enthusiasts,there's a strong temptation to purchase items that have been hyped,the greater the hype,the larger the expectation and potential for a massive immediate letdown.

7 414
 10-26-2012, 06:06 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I would tend to agree with you. I like to give things a long chance before saying goodbye to them if at all. I'm a hoarder. Smile

The only caveat is that a lot of us take chances and order from the net without knowing a lot about certain things,(I don't and tend to research extensively before ordering) so this factor could come into play.

To add, I used to participate in a high end watch forum and I've seen this phenomenon with multi-thousand dollar watches. In to view and out the door almost immediately. Sometimes things were seen for sale months later with a "never worn" or "worn once, only in the house".

I guess a lot of people can benefit from this if they can get something as new or nearly new for a significant savings.

6 905
 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM
User Info
This just got me to thinking and I went to the blade drawer and checked my very first sampler pack from a couple years ago.
I picked up 4 different packs with guess what, only one blade out of them. Blush One pack I never even tried, probably because someone said they were no good Dodgy so I thought...must be true. But they sell them right, so some people must like them.

I only brought this up because I feel I would have missed out on some stuff I like if I had not given a product a 2nd chance.

Now, off to try some blades again, now that I know more about what I'm doing that I did back then Biggrin

31 1,800
 10-26-2012, 10:58 AM
User Info
Ehh, we have different histories, boiling points, and tendencies. Oh, and if there's one thing I cherish, it's the right to chuck out what and as I will. Wink

0 554
 10-26-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info
i usually give most things a try, but some, i know right away that they will not work for me be it razors, brushes or soaps. With blades, i will always try them with different razors and wait a week or so.

75 20,883
 10-29-2012, 02:39 PM
User Info
Good advice. On a second test I've found some products I didn't initially love are great... Gillette 7 O'Clock Blue Blades (what I'm currently using) for example!

0 95
 10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I agree one shot is often not enough to adequately learn about a product. I had a very bad first experience with pre-shave oil, but I tried it under different circumstances and found uses for it. I am still not a fan, but at least I know why. I found that pre-shave products often work better when added to the lather directly rather than to the face with lather on top. I started experimenting with pure glycerin and find it a useful additive to the lather, but not useful when applied directly to my face.

With that said, I don't think one needs to keep torturing oneself indefinitely. I tried the Futur and never had a satisfactory shave in six attempts. I did not see any benefit to keep trying to deal with it. There are other razors I really enjoy using. What's the point of making something work when there are so many choices? I suppose if it's part of your hobby to become proficient with everything out there, then fine, otherwise I believe it's best not to force things.

16 545
 10-29-2012, 04:14 PM
User Info
I am notorious for "one and done". However, I know precisely what I am looking for, and can often tell in a moment if I have found IT. This applied recently to a shave brush that was too HUGE and heavy (I opted for a Wee Scot that I absolutely adore); it applied to shave sticks the scent of which I knew instantly I didn't care for (especially the Derby); it applied to a Merkur 1904 model razor and to an Above the Tie Titan H1 (I opted for the Cobra Classic which is perfect for me and my face). In each of these instances, I knew exactly what I was looking for, be it size, scent, or performance, and this allowed me to know in an instant what I didn't want. The Tradere SB required more time to tell because it was very close to what I wanted (and was without the Cobra Classic as a reference point). The Above the Tie Titan H1 would likely have been IT had I not already had the Cobra Classic for comparison.

So, while I understand giving things a second (and third, and fourth, etc.) chance, I also understand that there are times when one & done is perfectly appropriate (especially when selling, where less used is better than more used, rather than collecting/hoarding).

That's my $.02.

18 242