10-25-2012, 05:55 AM
User Info
Hi everyone. 

I can't get a good lather. It'll be this very puffy almost aerated stuff instead of a nice thick lucious creamy texture.

I was using a synthetic cheapie Omega because I couldn't find a proper badger brush around here. I have L'Occitane shaving cream but doesn't give me a good lather in my scuttle. It'd be this pasty thing until I added water. Then it'd puff up nicely but apply thinly on my face. It'd be translucent as opposed to lush and thick. So I assumed the cheapie brush wasn't up to creating a good lather and finally found a Crabtree & Evelyn Best grade brush. What's frustrating is that I got the same exact results!

Goopy then runny/watery and translucent. I always make sure to add a tiny bit water. Drops at a time. I'm also making sure not to pump the brush when scrubbing.

I made sure to let the brush soak in warm water in the scuttle while I showered. 

I go in circular motions with minimal pressure. I did this in about 2-3 minutes. 

Whats going on Huh Sad

Thanks!

--------------

Solution

Success!!!!

Turns out I'd done everything appropriately except the water part.

I'd start out dry and then add water when it became paste-like. Here's the thing, I was adding too much water.

This time when it got pasty I added literally 3 drops. Then whipped it around for a good minute then added another 3 drops.

Previously I must've added a good 20 drops. Makes sense.

I was a bit drier this time but I can manipulate that easily.

0 193
 10-25-2012, 06:35 AM
User Info
How long are you loading the brush on the soap? The synthetic should produce amazing lather, and you won't need to soak it. Dunk the brush almost to the knot and then bounce it once or twice to get the excess water out. You still want it to hold a fair bit of water, which is why you don't flick the brush. Then proceed to load the brush on the soap for several seconds. The lather may start out with large bubbles, and be runny, but keep picking up soap with the brush. The bubbles will start to shrink until they are almost imperceptible. You can use pressure with the synthetic, and often that really opens up the mixing action of the bristles. It just sounds like you aren't using enough product. Once you master the soap, the cream will make more sense. Creams can be trickier because each one seems to have a different water content to start with.

3 195
 10-25-2012, 06:58 AM
User Info
(10-25-2012, 06:35 AM)Dirty Texan Wrote: How long are you loading the brush on the soap? The synthetic should produce amazing lather, and you won't need to soak it. Dunk the brush almost to the knot and then bounce it once or twice to get the excess water out. You still want it to hold a fair bit of water, which is why you don't flick the brush. Then proceed to load the brush on the soap for several seconds. The lather may start out with large bubbles, and be runny, but keep picking up soap with the brush. The bubbles will start to shrink until they are almost imperceptible. You can use pressure with the synthetic, and often that really opens up the mixing action of the bristles. It just sounds like you aren't using enough product. Once you master the soap, the cream will make more sense. Creams can be trickier because each one seems to have a different water content to start with.

Let's disregard the soap. I won't use it till I master the cream or get a Chubby 1.
I soak the badger hair brush in warm water for 5-10 minutes then wring out the excess water.

I'm using plenty of cream. At least 2 generous almond size dollops.

0 193
 10-25-2012, 06:58 AM
User Info
99.9% of all lather problems can be cured by using more product. If you have hard water then you'll need to use even more product. Also, with using a scuttle you may need to be aware of how hot it is as too hot can break the lather down as well.

31 7,914
 10-25-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info
Ok ill try a bit warmer than room temperature next time.

0 193
 10-25-2012, 08:22 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
+1 on more product. Never too much product, AND add more water little by little.

88 4,233
 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
User Info
Brian has got it spot on. It doesn't matter what brush you use, you can still make lather. Might not be as fast or pleasurable, but it will lather.

9 2,988
 10-25-2012, 02:35 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone. Will keep trying.

0 193
 10-25-2012, 05:34 PM
User Info
+1... more product.

OR

make sure the brush is drier so that you control the water. If you start with too much on the brush, adding drops will still be too much.

But it sounds like not enough soap or too much water. Different ways of saying the same thing, sort of.

32 6,311
 10-26-2012, 05:24 AM
User Info
Success!!!!

I'd start out dry and then add water when it became paste-like. Here's the thing, I was adding too much water.

This time when it got pasty I added literally 3 drops. Then whipped it around for a good minute then added another 3 drops.

Thanks everyone!

0 193
 10-26-2012, 07:52 AM
User Info
Congrats! Thumbup

31 7,914
 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Many more happy shaves! Biggrin

88 4,233
 10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
User Info
Trial-and-error. It works but it takes more time than we'd like once in a while. Sad

Enjoy the trip! Smile

0 554
 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM
User Info
Thanks guys!

I'm noW much more confident to lather from my T&H soap.

0 193
 10-26-2012, 03:35 PM
User Info
Congratulations and continued success!

75 20,883
 10-31-2012, 07:55 AM
User Info
(10-25-2012, 05:55 AM)hedonist222 Wrote: Hi everyone. 

I can't get a good lather. It'll be this very puffy almost aerated stuff instead of a nice thick lucious creamy texture.

I was using a synthetic cheapie Omega because I couldn't find a proper badger brush around here. I have L'Occitane shaving cream but doesn't give me a good lather in my scuttle. It'd be this pasty thing until I added water. Then it'd puff up nicely but apply thinly on my face. It'd be translucent as opposed to lush and thick. So I assumed the cheapie brush wasn't up to creating a good lather and finally found a Crabtree & Evelyn Best grade brush. What's frustrating is that I got the same exact results!

Goopy then runny/watery and translucent. I always make sure to add a tiny bit water. Drops at a time. I'm also making sure not to pump the brush when scrubbing.

I made sure to let the brush soak in warm water in the scuttle while I showered. 

I go in circular motions with minimal pressure. I did this in about 2-3 minutes. 

Whats going on Huh Sad

Thanks!

--------------

Solution

Success!!!!

I personaly think synthetic brushes are the way of the future however many of the soaps on the market now may not be work well
with one. I have one I use for testing soap batches and travel.
I have found that when making a lather a lot of large loose bubbles at first is not uncommon but the brush bristles job is to knock the size of the bubbles down which makes a foamy type of lather

0 34