10-25-2012, 05:45 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
User spellrm, over on Reddit's Wet Shaving community Wicked_Edge, posted today a comparative of a brand new Feather DE razor blade, and the same blade after being used four times. The results are quite stunning, as are the images in general. I won't get into much detail on my own, but will instead copy each of his statements with each picture, enjoy!

New Feather blade. Yes that is a NEW blade. I'm not sure what the deal is with the gnarly surface.
[Image: vP4Je.png]

New Feather blade with characteristic X-ray analysis. 200x. Looks like we found some iron and chrome...and fluorine? The fluorine could be a false positive.
[Image: 2M0m7.png]

Good side view of the blade angle.
[Image: KrVYa.png]

3000x. Rotated for easier reading of the scale bar. It looks like the edge is about 10 microns!
[Image: Pp5WJ.png]

New Feather blade. Blade edge. 1200x. That dark strip is the blade edge, you are looking at it dead on.
[Image: Zs7da.png]

Used Feather blade with characteristic X-ray analysis. 1200x. Notice how the blade edge seems to have peeled away like a banana after four shaves. Compare this image with the previous one. Also found some Silicon on there, but it could be a false positive, I'm not sure.
[Image: tPWba.png]

New Astra blade 20x
[Image: s2u1j.png]

New Astra blade with characteristic X-ray analysis. 110x. More Iron and Chrome.
[Image: gtf23.png]

35 1,732
 10-25-2012, 06:00 PM
User Info
Interesting.

The false positive for flourine? It's coated right? If it's ptfe coated the "f" in ptfe stands for flourine.

32 6,309
 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(10-25-2012, 06:00 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Interesting.

The false positive for flourine? It's coated right? If it's ptfe coated the "f" in ptfe stands for flourine.

Good to know! I will pass along the info.

35 1,732
 10-26-2012, 07:35 AM
User Info
These pictures are insane looking. Thanks for posting them. The more blades we see like this the better idea of what kind of quality we are getting. Wonder what the quattro's or fusions look like.

2 97
 10-26-2012, 07:41 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
Spellrm actually has a funny story about Gillette coming to his professor about using SEM on their multiblades and him refusing. It' in the linked thread, worth a read.

35 1,732
 10-26-2012, 08:12 AM
User Info
(10-26-2012, 07:41 AM)Tonality Wrote: Spellrm actually has a funny story about Gillette coming to his professor about using SEM on their multiblades and him refusing. It' in the linked thread, worth a read.

Thanks for that. My eyes went straight to the pictures, not seeing the link. He says he doesn't have those to try out. I also don't have any corporate greed razors. I also imagine the blades might have to be extracted from a disposable or a cart to take the proper pictures. I'll send this individual some DE blades for testing. I also have a bic sensitive disposable I could send.

2 97
 10-26-2012, 10:40 AM
User Info
And that is why I sharpen my own razors. Biggrin

9 2,988
 10-26-2012, 03:55 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
All of today's blades are pretty "gnarly", from my limited examination under far less powerful magnification. Wait until you scope a BIC. The edge I can't say much about since my glass isn't as strong as yours. But otherwise, they are as rough as a cob. Yet, they shave okay for me, I just can't get more than a shave out of one, then it's shreddin' time. My Dad and uncles told me that they used to get at least 15 or so shaves from a blue blade of the 30's -50's. When I told them I changed blades every 10 shaves (1970) they thought I was bonkers ! Most anybody's blades today, I bin after no more than 4 shaves. The early microphotography look-see of 1931 (Popular Mechanics magazine) showed that blue blades were utterly destroyed after 4 shaves by a heavy bearded man. And just leaving a new one one out of the wrapper in the bathroom air without usage for 10 days caused a considerable amount of corrosion on it. Today's carts have the sharpest blades in history, and that may be why they, AND Feathers deteriorate quickly..the fine edge can't take the "heat" for long ? And like the straight user suggested above, you can re-strop a straight, you can only "bin" the DE blade. Partly, all stainless steel from a grinding or machining standpoint is "gally" or "stringy" and doesn't "machine up" as clean as does carbon, even though stainless is mostly carbon. One thing I read is that blades today, while having to be carfully formulated, are made with a considerable amount of scrap steel. Maybe the makers are content to see us get a few uses out of them, and they (not us) are satisfied. The scrap steel comment is tongue-in-cheek..certainly varies by maker. One cheap Korean blade, name withheld, couldn't make it through even one shave. I don't shave to save money. I shave to save ME. If they don't shred me up, I figure I'm getting the best I can get from what I have to pick from. And yes, I'm starting up with straights again. I look forward to seeing more of your findings. Thanks much !

0 1,291
 10-26-2012, 07:42 PM
User Info
My understanding is that modern blades are coated with teflon to compensate for being duller.

9 2,988
 10-27-2012, 12:14 PM
User Info
Thanks for the detailed pictures, Anthony!

75 20,883