10-25-2012, 07:10 PM
User Info
My 45 Bakelite broke.

I'm very upset as I was eager to try another Tiger shave with it as soon as possible.

Today it had no problems; I removed an old blade that had been in there, loaded the Tiger and screwed the head onto the handle, getting, as I mentioned in my SOTD, a sterling shave.

Untwisting it open about ten minutes ago, I cleaned the blade, having noticed some hairs leftover and when I proceeded to stick the head back on, the screw mechanism wouldn't hold.

This is my second Merkur to have this very problem. My Long Handle Classic went through the same 3 yrs. ago, so I sent it back to Merkur and got a replacement in mail.

Is this common or am I having bad luck? Can the type of water you use eat away at the metal screws?

Seems like a fluke; nevertheless, I'm disappointed as I love that razor.

0 257
 10-25-2012, 07:21 PM
User Info
Well, that's the pits!

Could you post a picture?

It sounds like the thread is stripped? Or is the thread rotating in the plastic?

I'm just curious. I don't have your answer. But a picture might help to see what's going on.

32 6,309
 10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
User Info
I just shaved with my Super Adj., whose TTO head is just massive compared to that of the Merkur 45, and decided to look more carefully at the 45. It looks like the plastic in the barrel of the handle got stripped...

Which makes me ask: Wouldn't this be a common experience?

(10-25-2012, 07:21 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Well, that's the pits!

Could you post a picture?

It sounds like the thread is stripped? Or is the thread rotating in the plastic?

I'm just curious. I don't have your answer. But a picture might help to see what's going on.

Looking over the razor, I see no way in which either of the two pieces comprising the head could be where the damage is located.

The yellow metal screw in the top-piece of the head is very clearly intact, meaning the damage is in the barrel.

Forgive the quality of my photo, taken with my Droid X2, whose camera is an absolute joke. Where you see whiteness at the entrance of the barrel is the product of the camera's flash. The area is not, to be sure, white but the same color as rest of the razor.

See what you think.

https://twitter.com/i/#!/AllCape/media/s...2FezZrGA4V

0 257
 10-26-2012, 07:29 AM
User Info
Sorry to hear about your merkur razors breaking. I don't think this is a common problem.

2 97
 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM
User Info
Oddly enough, the same happened to me with a 3-piece, all metal Merkur as well, the 23C, my favorite.

They replaced it in the mail.

I don't remember if it was a the screw in the head or the threads in the inside of the handle...

0 257