10-26-2012, 05:51 AM
User Info
Question concerning the Edwin Jagger razor everyone loves: What is the exact name/#?

I want the all-chrome model. It appears to come in at least three forms: smooth handle (how's the grip there?); lined handle; and barley handle. I prefer the appearance of the smooth handle, which I couldn't imagine EJ turning out if it were slippery. But I must ask: is it? I don''t care for the look of the barley, but, if necessary for practical reasons, the chrome model with the slightly texturized handle would be be fine.

Does this razor come in a long and short, or is there one standard handle size?

Anything else I need to know?

Again, I want the all-chrome razor, preferably smooth-handled. I don't want the gold variants or the ones with the colored handles.

Essentially, I want to make sure I order the right razor as I find there are several which look the same/similar and am a bit confused..Biggrin

Thx!

0 257
 10-26-2012, 06:08 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Start from HERE as they have almost every current model of EJs

100 12,437
 10-26-2012, 06:20 AM
User Info
I have 4 of the EJ DE89s: Smooth handle, Octagon, Lined and the Barley Chrome.

They are all the same length, so it really becomes a question handle texture. I am probably in the minority saying that the smooth handle isnt slippery, but I will say that the most attractive handle is the Barley Chrome. The subtle texture is very grippy, even when your hands are wet, and it is visually interesting.

That said; the shave head is what matters and with the DE89 shave head you will likely be very pleased

8 240
 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM
User Info
I have the EJ DE89 (the smooth ivory coloured one). I don't find it slippery at all when shaving, and I have to say it is probably my favourite razor (I prefer it over the Gillette Fatboy, Aristocrat, Slim, Flair Tip, Red Tip).
It is an amazing razor, especially for the price.

3 92
 10-26-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
I have the faux ivory model and I like it quite a bit. I in no way find it slippery. I like the handle length.

The only awkward handle I have is the barber pole Merkur HD38C. It has a tendency to rotate in your fingers (I'm left handed, it's better if you hold it in your right).

2 202
 10-26-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
Fairly sure all of the razor head pieces are the same. The handle weight and length can change the aggression. Many people make it into a frankenrazor if they don't feel the handle has enough grip.

2 97
 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM
User Info
I think I'll rule the smooth-textured one out, although, based on photos, I find that it's the most attractive.

Should I see it in Col. Drug my next visit (asap), and find that it's not slippery, then I'll take it.

To me the barley finish generally looks obfuscated in photos. I'll try to find a clearer photo.

I must admit, it's hard to pick a texture, even among the all-chrome varieties.

Thanks for the help. I've never looked more toward to trying a razor given its reviews and appearance.

0 257
 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM
User Info
I have the lined handle and am very happy with it. I had the barley but gave it to son in law after I got the lined one. Having had them both, they're both well made but my personal preference is the lined handle. I did not notice any difference between the two in terms of the grip when wet.

37 2,907
 10-26-2012, 01:11 PM
User Info
Thanks all.

It's down to the all-chrome octagonal or barley. I prefer the former aesthetically but I'm, again, worried about slipperiness.

Thanks again!

0 257
 10-26-2012, 01:16 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Rub alum on the handle or you fingers as it helps cut down on the slickness.

173 23,486
 10-26-2012, 04:52 PM
User Info
I agree with Leisureguy. The DE89 smooth handle version does not slip around when my hands are just wet, but it does slip around when my hands are soapy. So rinse clean.

In my hands, the DE89L lined version works identically. The lines are not pronounced and do not present a visual problem to these old eyes.

Have not tried the barley.

Guys who have spent Big Bucks on high-priced razors (such as stainless steel, which are certainly beautiful) may disagree, but this is the best shaver I own and modestly priced to boot. Can't go wrong with DE89 or DE89L. For the record, I have owned stainless steel and sold them.

15 316
 10-26-2012, 05:18 PM
User Info
(10-26-2012, 01:11 PM)boYexTRAORDINaRE Wrote: Thanks all.

It's down to the all-chrome octagonal or barley. I prefer the former aesthetically but I'm, again, worried about slipperiness.

Thanks again!

I use the octagon in my travel kit (for non-flight travel) and I will say that it is surprisingly comfortable to hold and use. You do not have to worry about any slippage, so if you like the looks - pull the trigger

8 240
 10-26-2012, 05:22 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
the handle, while not as "grippy" as a checkered handle, really aren't slippery. if you otherwise like the shave enough to keep the razor in your rotation, you can get other handles to use on it that strikes your fancy. it's medium aggressive for most. I have a smooth handle ivory Chatsworth, no probs with being slippery. they are, I can't really say"fragile", but they are cast zinc. it's tough, but "brittle". I dropped mine moving it, and the stud let go. I am a klutz. new heads are about $28 plus shipping. they limit purchase to 4 per customer at TESC. overall, they are nice razors. just a matter of test driving and liking it. remember, you heard this from a klutz...SHHHHHHH !

0 1,291
 10-26-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
I agree with OldDog23. The barley and lined handles are not as grippy as a knurled handle on a Merkur 34C or vintage Gillette. Even so, the EJ razors are not slippery at all unless you get soap on your hands. I have found that this hardly ever happens. Looking at it another way, Edwin Jagger would not be selling smooth handled razors if slipperiness was a problem.

0 303
 10-27-2012, 01:01 AM
User Info
I am a big fan of Edwin Jagger, and have a few of their different DE models.

My favourite model has too be the "lined chatsworth" with a flat comb/solid bar DE89 head. Excellent to hold quite a heavy razor & long, let all the weight do the work. The fit & finish is top notch.

Charles U.K

0 2,338
 10-27-2012, 02:35 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Another option I enjoy which improves the cutting action of the 89 is to pair it with an Ikon bulldog handle. Makes it an almost perfect razor for me. Something to consider if you find the stock handle slippery or too light.

42 1,041
 10-27-2012, 02:37 AM
User Info
I've had a few, my favourite is the barley chrome. It's the only one that remains in my den.

7 1,179
 10-27-2012, 04:45 AM
User Info
The smooth version is not slippery to me. A bonus is it is easier to keep clean because there is no detailing for soap scum to get in to. Just rub briskly with a dry bath towel when you change blades and it looks brand spanking new.

2 697
 10-27-2012, 05:26 AM
User Info
(10-26-2012, 01:11 PM)boYexTRAORDINaRE Wrote: Thanks all.

Thanks again!

Hello again, boYexTRAORDINaRE. I forgot too mention you asked about the weight and length of the Edwin Jagger " Chatsworth" lined.

The weight is: 113.4g

The length of the Handle + Head is: 113.5mm
The length of the Handle without Head is: 103.2mm.

And as a member has already said you can change the head, quite a lot to choose from. Either: OC or FB (open comb or flat bar)

Hope this helps.

Charles U.K

0 2,338