10-26-2012, 07:28 AM
User Info
I got a stick of Erasmic shave soap ( with Tallow ) from Freddy a while back, and I've really enjoyed it. I don't see much chatter about it so i thought I'd provide a little discussion point for it.

I will admit I did grate it up into a glass bowl, as I typically don't like to use shave sticks, but I don't think that it changed the character of it very much.

It has an old school, faintly lemonish scent. As I used it this morning, and it oddly enough reminded me of a faint RazoRock XXX or 4711 scent. Subtle, but pleasant. Probably nothing to get excited about, but to my nose better than some of the Turkish lemon scented sticks which come across a wee bit strong.

I have no problem getting a thick and stable lather from it*. I face lathered it this morning from my inexpensive Tweezerman brush, and it quickly developed into a prototypical lather. Cushion and glide were certainly not an issue.

It probably is a little light on post shave face comfort compared to soaps that excel in that arena. My face never feels bad after using it, but it doesn't feel pampered either. I really don't expect luxury face feel from what is essentially a drugstore product, and the fact it doesn't harm my face or skin in any fashion is good enough for me. I just like to cover my bases when I review a product.

I enjoy this soap. I imagine when I eventually use this particular stick up I'll add another to some order I make to replace it. It doesn't stay in my usual rotation, but I do get the urge to use it often enough.

* A note on lather creation. My water must be the softest in the world. I can lather Williams, and MWF with ZERO problems or special procedures. I always feel the need to point that out because I've literally lathered soaps that my friends find unlatherable.

0 252
 10-26-2012, 07:53 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Its a great shave stick (the one with tallow).The veggie version was the worst shave stick I have ever used or tried to lather.

This one contains a nice barbershop scent and its performance reminds me of the old Wood of Windsor soap (the tallow one too).

For its price , a very good shavestick to try.The best?Maybe not , but better than Arko for sure ! Biggrin

86 7,123
 10-26-2012, 09:02 AM
User Info
(10-26-2012, 07:53 AM)Teiste Wrote: Its a great shave stick (the one with tallow).The veggie version was the worst shave stick I have ever used or tried to lather.

This one contains a nice barbershop scent and its performance reminds me of the old Wood of Windsor soap (the tallow one too).

For its price , a very good shavestick to try.The best?Maybe not , but better than Arko for sure ! Biggrin

Did they finally can the veggie version? It seems like they went back to tallow at some point.

0 252
 10-26-2012, 10:01 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(10-26-2012, 09:02 AM)GeneAut Wrote:
(10-26-2012, 07:53 AM)Teiste Wrote: Its a great shave stick (the one with tallow).The veggie version was the worst shave stick I have ever used or tried to lather.

Did they finally can the veggie version? It seems like they went back to tallow at some point.

They may have, Gene, though I'm not sure. Over the years, while visiting Scotland, I found the tallow sticks harder to find. Now the tide seems to have turned. The veggie sticks seem to have all but disappeared and I am noticing more tallow.

2 11,211
 10-26-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info

Yes , people complained about how bad was the veggie stick , and there you go , they came out with the tallow stick (again).They also have the 75 g stick called Erasmic Supreme , which is basically the veggie based version and very bad indeed...

86 7,123
 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(10-26-2012, 10:01 AM)freddy Wrote:

They may have, Gene, though I'm not sure. Over the years, while visiting Scotland, I found the tallow sticks harder to find. Now the tide seems to have turned. The veggie sticks seem to have all but disappeared and I am noticing more tallow.

Freddy, dem emes (the truth) is, the Erasmic sticks are back in the tallow form again, and thank goodness for that. There is also the Erasmic Supreme sticks which are in glycerine form. These Supreme sticks are good as well.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 2,562
 02-13-2013, 11:00 AM
User Info
(11-30-2012, 05:32 PM)JAYDEE Wrote:
(10-26-2012, 10:01 AM)freddy Wrote:
(10-26-2012, 09:02 AM)GeneAut Wrote: Did they finally can the veggie version? It seems like they went back to tallow at some point.

Freddy, dem emes (the truth) is, the Erasmic sticks are back in the tallow form again, and thank goodness for that. There is also the Erasmic Supreme sticks which are in glycerine form. These Supreme sticks are good as well.

I hadn't seen the Supreme sticks before. Thanks for sharing the picture Smile

0 252
 06-03-2013, 04:15 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I'm bumping this old thread on the Erasmic Shave Stick because I've been using it for the past week and wanted to share my impressions.
First of all its a 50 gram stick from the UK and comes packaged in a box with a red plastic holder and wrapped in wax paper. I have read about various reformulations of this soap. It appears I have the tallow version but I'm not sure of the overall time-line or which version I have (see the picture below for the ingredients). Its quite inexpensive only a few bucks from various vendors and probably cheaper across the pond at a drugstore. I'm bad at describing scents but I enjoyed it.
I first used this in stick form as intended and found the lather to be fairly thin with a tenancy to disappear. After a few tries I decided to mill it up and put it in a bowl to see if I would have better luck. Milling was a mess, it was dry and crumbly. Once it was in a bowl I tried a few tricks like soaking it in hot water before the shave but there wasn't any improvement to the lather. I tried to take a photo of the lather but it kept disappearing before I could get a shot off. So I either don't have the luck or water that GeneAut did with his review.
Overall it reminds me of Williams Mug Soap. I'm not very impressed and won't be replacing or recommending it.

[Image: erasmic2.jpg]

2 501
 06-04-2013, 12:40 PM
  • pooking
  • Wishful thinker.
  • Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn
User Info
Same experience here... No lather, smells bad, over-dry and crumbly. Worse shave stick I ever used, will stay with Palmolive.

(06-03-2013, 04:15 PM)vuk Wrote: I'm bumping this old thread on the Erasmic Shave Stick because I've been using it for the past week and wanted to share my impressions.
First of all its a 50 gram stick from the UK and comes packaged in a box with a red plastic holder and wrapped in wax paper. I have read about various reformulations of this soap. It appears I have the tallow version but I'm not sure of the overall time-line or which version I have (see the picture below for the ingredients). Its quite inexpensive only a few bucks from various vendors and probably cheaper across the pond at a drugstore. I'm bad at describing scents but I enjoyed it.
I first used this in stick form as intended and found the lather to be fairly thin with a tenancy to disappear. After a few tries I decided to mill it up and put it in a bowl to see if I would have better luck. Milling was a mess, it was dry and crumbly. Once it was in a bowl I tried a few tricks like soaking it in hot water before the shave but there wasn't any improvement to the lather. I tried to take a photo of the lather but it kept disappearing before I could get a shot off. So I either don't have the luck or water that GeneAut did with his review.
Overall it reminds me of Williams Mug Soap. I'm not very impressed and won't be replacing or recommending it.

[Image: erasmic2.jpg]

7 147
 06-04-2013, 01:25 PM
User Info
I paid a premium for the "Tallow" stick and wound up shipping it back to Phil and he refunded me, and cleared his stock.

That stick is horrible....

0 652
 06-05-2013, 06:05 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Wow. This is the opposite of my experience but I need to check my stock. This has always been a reliable soap for me.

35 2,703
 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
(06-05-2013, 06:05 PM)TexBilly Wrote: Wow. This is the opposite of my experience but I need to check my stock. This has always been a reliable soap for me.

Yea I was under the impression that it was a pretty decent soap which is what lead me to try it. I don't know when it was reformulated but the vintage formula must be the one that people rave about because it certainly wasn't this one. Oh well, you win some and lose some.

2 501
 06-09-2013, 09:20 PM
User Info
One of the best smelling products out there...imo.

3 53
 06-10-2013, 01:51 AM
User Info
As shave sticks go, equal to all; better than most. Scent not really rememberable.

5 410
 06-10-2013, 02:12 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I like Erasmic stick too, w. tallow. To me it has a raw tobacco kind of smell about it. Works well for me.

0 1,622
 06-10-2013, 02:39 PM
  • Cobre
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
My experience with this stick is positive, I have the tallow version and it lathers well and I like the scent.

8 153
 06-12-2013, 01:24 PM
User Info
Unfortunately I didn't keep my packaging so I'm not sure exactly what version Freddy sent me, and it's been at least 2 years ago that he sent it to me. It did have tallow listed in the ingredients.

I still have the grated up stick he sent me, and it gets a semi-regular use in my admittedly large rotation. The next time I reach for it I'll get a picture of the lather.

As to my lather, I've been able to create good lather from some products that many others seem to have issue with. It's not my technique, so it must be my water.

0 252
 06-12-2013, 01:51 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
(06-12-2013, 01:24 PM)GeneAut Wrote: Unfortunately I didn't keep my packaging so I'm not sure exactly what version Freddy sent me, and it's been at least 2 years ago that he sent it to me. It did have tallow listed in the ingredients.

I still have the grated up stick he sent me, and it gets a semi-regular use in my admittedly large rotation. The next time I reach for it I'll get a picture of the lather.

As to my lather, I've been able to create good lather from some products that many others seem to have issue with. It's not my technique, so it must be my water.

Gene do you recall if it was dry and crumbly when you grated it up? From what I can gather the stick was orginally tallow then was refomulated to non-tallow and finally back to tallow again. I'm thinking its the newer refomulated tallow version that has this dry crumbly consistancy.

2 501
 06-17-2013, 09:35 AM
User Info
I bought tallowed version in cardbox as above.
Worst Shave stick I have ever used.

Smell is acceptable but lather likes a handsoap. No slickness and No protection.

I do not recommend to buy cardbox even tallowed version.

0 58