10-26-2012, 12:09 PM
User Info
How do these two popular razors compare? Is it considered that one is more agressive than the other?

I should say that I have owned both for quite some time and rarely use either. I tend to reach for the vintage inventory. Even so, I find them in no way similar and am curious as to the opinions and observations of others. Personally, I find that each has some attributes that I like and some that I don't.

2 202
 10-26-2012, 04:03 PM
User Info
38C is more aggressive, IMHO. It's also a heavier razor (probably why it is more aggressive to me.)

Both are nice modern production razors. I tried the 34C a few times and didn't care much for it.

12 1,243
 10-27-2012, 09:04 AM
User Info
I probably should have titled this "which modern razor will I like?"

The 38C has nice shaving qualities but I don't like the handle. The spiral knurling has a tendency to twist in my fingers. The EJ is missing something, I'm not sure what.

New razors like Tradere, Ikon and even Cobra are a little pricey just to see if I like them. Are they that much nicer?

2 202
 10-27-2012, 09:16 AM
User Info
I do not have the EJ, but I do have the Mühle 89 and the Merkur 38c. I personally prefer the 38c and have gotten used to the handle. You should be able to swap out handles on the EJ to something more to your liking and perhaps get a better shave out of it.

129 6,685
 10-27-2012, 12:11 PM
User Info
Have you ever tried using one shim in the EJ89? Give it a try and let me know what you think. i can almost guarantee that this is what is missing with it, for you. Good luck.

75 20,883
 10-28-2012, 03:58 AM
User Info
The Merkur handle being 2-piece, seems to be proprietary and can't be swapped with something else (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd like to try shimming the EJ but am not sure how it's done. The only way I can imaging is to trim a blade and put is under the main shaving blade, thereby steepening the angle. Would that be close to correct? There must be a thread about it somewhere...

Thanks.

2 202