03-19-2012, 05:55 PM
User Info
I don't know. The past five or six days have left my neck feeling sore. No visible irritation, no blood, but I'm still sore at 2100 after shaving at 1200. And I used a quality AS balm to quell the sensation. Not such a great job today.

I've been alternating between a 38C with a Kai and 34C with an Israeli Blue. Both are being replaced but I felt no discomfort during my shaves; the first shave with each was as good as ever. Nothing has changed in my routine. I don't get it. Confused

I'm going to lay off for a day or two. Then I'll use my Treet Delrin and either a fresh Izzy Blue or a Shark SS.

This is the wrong time of year to start a full-face beard! Undecided

0 554
 03-19-2012, 06:08 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Sometimes I get pretty complacent with my shaves and all of a sudden I start getting some irritation. Nearly always my problem is either blade angle or I'm applying too much pressure.

For my next couple of shaves I'll slow down and take my time. If I've been face lathering I switch to bowl lathering. If I've been out in a lot of sun and wind face lathering can irritate my neck. I'll make sure my lather is spot on and I might even switch to a tried and true lathering product like AOS soap for a few days. When I'm doing the actual shave I'll really focus on technique, proper blade angle and minimal pressure.

Good luck!

7 1,018
 03-19-2012, 07:30 PM
User Info
Are you face lathering? I've had brush burn that can be hard to distinguish from shaving irritation.

31 7,914
 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Michael, when you start shaving again, maybe do only one or two passes with the grain, just enough to look presentable but also give your skin a chance to heal completely.

2 11,211
 03-19-2012, 08:05 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Blend oils are your friends.A blend of olive oil,peanut oil,lanolin and sweet almond oil works miracles in a sensitive/irritated/stress/dry skin.You use them at night and the following morning your skin its ready for a shave.

86 7,123
 03-19-2012, 09:34 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-19-2012, 08:05 PM)Teiste Wrote: Blend oils are your friends.A blend of olive oil,peanut oil,lanolin and sweet almond oil works miracles in a sensitive/irritated/stress/dry skin.You use them at night and the following morning your skin its ready for a shave.

Teiste,

Is this something you buy that is already blended?

173 23,540
 03-20-2012, 04:49 AM
User Info
(03-19-2012, 06:08 PM)Sully Wrote: Sometimes I get pretty complacent with my shaves and all of a sudden I start getting some irritation. Nearly always my problem is either blade angle or I'm applying too much pressure.
Good luck!

Thank you. It might be you've nailed it. Now I think about it, this happened to me in my first year of DE shaving. At this point, though, I know what works in terms of hardware. So, back to the drawing board ... Thursday. Maybe Friday!

Brian, I lather in a bowl but it still amounts to face-lathering in the end. It can't be the brushes; they're all good quality and have been broken in well. I'm going to use a different cream from Godrej Deluxe (I don't know what's there in the linen closet; I know I have something else.) With luck, that's all there is to it.
Freddy, for a few months now I have only done a WTG and XTG follow-up. So, over-shaving is not it. I'll heal and start from -AAUGH- scratch. Dodgy
(03-19-2012, 08:05 PM)Teiste Wrote: Blend oils are your friends.A blend of olive oil,peanut oil,lanolin and sweet almond oil works miracles in a sensitive/irritated/stress/dry skin.You use them at night and the following morning your skin its ready for a shave.

Certainly you have given me food for thought! This could turn out to be my "Shaving Spring"! Thanks, Teiste!

0 554
 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM
User Info
OK, the itching was worse than the irritation; I gave in early. Undecided

Yesterday I loaded a Shark SS into the Treet Delrin and used my Old Spice Original Scent cream. A very nice shave.

Today, I squirted that Godrej onto the puck of VDH I have. Super Lather! Stayed with the same ax and blade and it felt fine for the second day in a row.

Since I abhor waste, I'll use up the Godrej in this manner. A happy medium I hadn't thought about till this morning. Onward! Biggrin

0 554
 03-21-2012, 10:57 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
If super lathering is getting you irritation free shaves then keep with it.

7 1,018
 03-21-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
At least till the Godrej is gone! Biggrin

0 554
 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM
User Info

can you buy such a mix?

I use pure shea butter from PdP at times after my shave and then the following day after my shower.

40 5,830
 03-30-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
(03-25-2012, 09:11 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:

can you buy such a mix?

I use pure shea butter from PdP at times after my shave and then the following day after my shower.

+1 Unrefined Shea butter is the ultimate thing to help heal irritation or burn and keep your skin youthful! Great product!

75 20,883