10-26-2012, 08:22 PM
User Info
Today I used everything for the first time. I was gifted a real brush with cream and soap and alum and aftershave and balm, super speed razor and 10 different kinds of blades.
I washed my face real good. Desided to use cream instead of soap for first time. Put some on my brush and lathered very thick, I think it was too much cream, I added water to brush and make it thinner. Razor very different from sensor excel. But did not cut face on first pass. Second pass not so good face burned. Put alum and balm and it feels better. Maybe next shave will be better

0 33
 10-26-2012, 08:41 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
good job. Take it slow and I suggest you go on youtube and check out some of Mantic59 videos, theres also geofatboy.

1 265
 10-26-2012, 08:48 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Excellent man! Don't push it, it will come. Remember, no pressure like you did with carts. You'll be a pro in no time.

88 4,233
 10-26-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
Congratulations for trying and i wish you better luck, next time.
i would also suggest researching through Mantic59 videos on YouTube and use less pressure and go slowly.

75 20,883
 10-26-2012, 09:56 PM
User Info
Less pressure, less haste... you'll get there in no time flat Smile

In addition to the suggestions given so far, you might want to check out "Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving" - it has loads of tips and tricks

3 3,569
 10-26-2012, 10:31 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The old saying practice makes perfect is true. Slow and easy, no pressure, and two passes to start. One WTG (with the grain) and one XTG (across the grain). Once you get the hang of it you will wonder why you did not try it sooner.

173 23,519
 10-27-2012, 03:31 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Just converting from cartridge to double edge you are to be congratulated. After a while you will wonder why you didn't switch a long time ago.

100 12,440
 10-27-2012, 07:15 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(10-26-2012, 08:22 PM)Gianghia Wrote: Today I used everything for the first time. I was gifted a real brush with cream and soap and alum and aftershave and balm, super speed razor and 10 different kinds of blades.
I washed my face real good. Desided to use cream instead of soap for first time. Put some on my brush and lathered very thick, I think it was too much cream, I added water to brush and make it thinner. Razor very different from sensor excel. But did not cut face on first pass. Second pass not so good face burned. Put alum and balm and it feels better. Maybe next shave will be better

You will get the hang of it! congratz Biggrin

9 1,684
 10-27-2012, 07:24 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Congratulations on your first wet shave!

45 3,955
 10-27-2012, 07:46 AM
User Info
Thanks. It's pleasurable but takes very long time. What other cream to use to heal razor burn?

0 33
 10-27-2012, 10:25 AM
User Info
(10-27-2012, 07:46 AM)Gianghia Wrote: Thanks. It's pleasurable but takes very long time. What other cream to use to heal razor burn?

I'll go quicker once you get the hang of it - either that, or it'll be so enjoyable you don't notice the passage of time Biggrin

As for razor burns and minor nicks, I swear to Krampert's Finest Bay Rum (or his Prototype Menthol, or his Limitied Edition Menthol... they all have the same moisturiser in them). The Proraso Liquid Cream I used to use is also decent, but don't smell half as nice. I'm sure others have more suggestions for you.

3 3,569
 10-27-2012, 12:51 PM
User Info
Not bad for a first shave, and yes, it'll definitely get better. If they didn't you'd be all alone on the forum. Wink Everyone here has been where you are now and we got through it. You will too.

Razor burn can come from a few things; too much pressure or substandard lather. Try as I might I can't come up with a 3rd cause, but there muse be another. From the sound of it your lather was OK. You want it to be a yogurt like consistency IMO if you can achieve that, but that can also be achieved with a dry lather and you definitely don't want that. It'll still protect and be slick, it'll just dry out on your face prematurely. My bet is too much pressure.

What razor burn is, is the top layers of skin were removed exposing the nerves underneath. So protection of the skin and no pressure beat the factors involved in causing it. W/o using anything it'll disappear in about 12 hours.

You can practice lathering to your hearts content until you get it right. You aren't wasting soap, you're perfecting a critical skill required for shaving. Pressure is easy to see in the mirror. If your skin deforms under the blade, it's too much. We call it "no pressure" but in fact there is the tiniest amount of pressure required to keep the razor/blade against the skin w/o chattering. Compared to shaving with a cartridge it's no pressure.

For a first shave you did good though.

You didn't tell us, do you know what SuperSpeed razor? Any identifying colors, marks, or can you post a pic of it? It'll help us to help you further. (some SSs are more aggressive than others) BTW, lots of us began DE shaving with a SuperSpeed. Too, what blade did you use?

32 6,309
 10-27-2012, 01:29 PM
User Info
Super speed flair tip? Astra blade

0 33
 10-27-2012, 01:39 PM
User Info
you'll get better with practice.

good luck!

40 5,830
 10-27-2012, 01:40 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
Congratulations on your first shave!

7 858
 10-27-2012, 02:10 PM
User Info
That's a good starter razor. Lot's of folks use them as their primary. Lot's of folks love Astras too. You're in good company. Good hardware, great first shave.

BTW, I learned to DE shave with a SS too.

You are off and running my friend. It only gets better from here. Thumbsup

To speed your "education" change nothing for now. Practice, and if the blade begins to get dull (you'll know by the blood- it's no big deal, you won't hit an artery and it's yours anyway) change it, but keep everything the same except for the practice with the basics. You want to change only one variable at a time. Change more than one and you have chaos since you don't have the experience at this time to shuffle things and know what caused what. It's scientific method. Do you understand? Resist the urge to change things up (chaotically) right now. You'll progress much faster if you can.

If you don't have a styptic pencil, get one. I hope you never need it, but for those learning and those of us who challenge ourselves we'll use them our entire lives. Don't drop it and it'll last a lifetime.

Keep us informed as to how it's going, we're in your corner.

32 6,309
 10-27-2012, 02:45 PM
User Info
Thank you. I will try

0 33
 10-27-2012, 03:12 PM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I'm just a little bit ahead of you, it gets better, you just need to go easy and concentrate on your technique. In the "Shave Nook University" section of the forum, there's a video on de razor technique in the "How-To Tutorials" section. You can find other videos on the web. You might want to also read Celestino's post "Prep: How Important Is It?" in the "Traditional Wet Shaving 101" section.

0 62
 10-27-2012, 03:55 PM
User Info
Reading it, thank you very much

0 33