10-27-2012, 04:52 PM
User Info
I would appreciate it if some of you guys with lots of experience with a wide variety of closed guard razors (e.g. Tradere Solid Bar, Feather AS, Pils, iKon Standard Head) would list them in rough order from most aggressive to least aggressive. I have a couple mild razors - a Feather AS and a vintage Wilkinson Sticky - that I like a lot and have thought of adding to them. This kind of ranking guide would help me, and I think it might be helpful for others. Thanks.

184 12,003
 10-27-2012, 06:46 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
Of the ones I've owned:

Rotbart Solid Bar
Tradere Solid Bar
Weber ARC
Ikon S3S
Ikon Modern
EJ DE89
Feather AS (Extremely mild)

9 408
 10-27-2012, 07:06 PM
User Info
From most aggressive to least, for me:

* British #66
* Tradere SB
* Pils
* Redtip
* Weber
* American Aristocrats
* EJ89
* Ikons
* Tech
* Feather AS-D1
Please note that the variance from the Weber down to the Tech is very slight, for me. i have also heard the Merkur 34C is very similar to the Weber. This should be interesting.
Good luck, John.

75 20,883
 10-27-2012, 07:29 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Most to least

ATT Titan
Pils
Tradere SB
Feather

115 1,692
 10-27-2012, 10:48 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I favor mild razors, as I have very sensitive skin.

I would rank the Weber as a little to the aggressive side of moderate.

I would rank the Edwin Jagger as a little to the mild side of moderate.

I would rank the Feather All Stainless, the Gillette Tech, and the second-generation iKon three-piece with safety bars (no longer made) as mild to mildest, in this order. (Note that the same iKon with open comb is more on the aggressive side.)

I found the Feather All Stainless to be especially effective for a mild razor.

The second-generation iKon with safety bars is very mild, but it is more effective that one might expect, provided one manages blade angle well and makes a wetter, slick, non-cushiony lather. These measures, of course, are more critical with mild razors. I have been using this iKon a lot lately. I don't think Greg makes anything this mild anymore, so I'm grateful that I got this one.

- Murray

4 1,150
 10-28-2012, 01:34 AM
User Info
From aggressive to least

Merkur 43C
Merkur 38C
Merkur 34c
Merkur Futur
Mergress XL
iKon S3S
iKon OSS
iKon Modern
Pils
Feather

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 10-28-2012, 01:06 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
John, having used both the Feather and Sticky, I would say a Schick Krona comes pretty close to the same feel as the Sticky. I find the TV Special Super speed to also be quite mild, but effective. A third option would be a Stahly Liver Blade head mounted on a different handle. Mine is on the Weber Wave handle. If you want to try any of these, let me know!

35 1,732
 10-28-2012, 01:30 PM
User Info
+1 on the Krona. I often thought of it as the "poor man's" Sticky and actually came to prefer it to the Sticky. I would say the Krona is slightly milder since I think it curves the blade a bit more than the Sticky. Apparently the all plastic Kronas are milder than the ones with the metal tips, but I never tried the all plastic version. My most recent progression of razors went Sticky-->Krona-->Feather AS (which I've used pretty much exclusively for the past two years minus a little flirting with the Muhle/Merkur open combs).

As an aside, I'm surprised that people find the Feather AS so mild. Yes, it's definitely on the mild end of the spectrum, but I found think Techs, Kronas, and some SuperSpeeds are milder. Maybe the smoothness of the Feather tricks people into thinking it's mild.

30 275
 10-28-2012, 01:34 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
(10-28-2012, 01:30 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: As an aside, I'm surprised that people find the Feather AS so mild. Yes, it's definitely on the mild end of the spectrum, but I found think Techs, Kronas, and some SuperSpeeds are milder. Maybe the smoothness of the Feather tricks people into thinking it's mild.

I think r is very true. I wish I had given the Feather a bit more time, I think I would have really liked it. I'll need to try one out again.

35 1,732
 10-28-2012, 04:05 PM
User Info
(10-28-2012, 01:30 PM)Aaron622 Wrote: +1 on the Krona. I often thought of it as the "poor man's" Sticky and actually came to prefer it to the Sticky. I would say the Krona is slightly milder since I think it curves the blade a bit more than the Sticky. Apparently the all plastic Kronas are milder than the ones with the metal tips, but I never tried the all plastic version. My most recent progression of razors went Sticky-->Krona-->Feather AS (which I've used pretty much exclusively for the past two years minus a little flirting with the Muhle/Merkur open combs).

As an aside, I'm surprised that people find the Feather AS so mild. Yes, it's definitely on the mild end of the spectrum, but I found think Techs, Kronas, and some SuperSpeeds are milder. Maybe the smoothness of the Feather tricks people into thinking it's mild.

* Aaron, it must be some gents with coarse beards like myself who find it extremely mild. i tried it twice and could not get on with it. It just required so many passes to get a decent acceptable shave. i know the angle takes some getting used to, but the number of passes was just too much and caused a bit of irritation.

75 20,883
 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I really think the "problem" is that most of us have so many razors and blades etc...we never master one before we give up and use a new one. Probably every razor could be acceptable but we are looking for perfection and having the ultimate most recent development or treasured old classic. I think like in Golf the technique is more important than the equipment. BUT this is not the way of RAD ,BAD,MAD...etc people and Unobtainium is still out there so off we go.Cool

6 1,913
 10-28-2012, 04:28 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The Krona is the one razor that's been in my den since about a month into starting DE shaving. It's one of my absolute favorites.

116 3,804