Poll: Why do you use natural toothpaste?
It's natural, duh!
It tastes better The clean feeling lasts longer I am scared of toxins that will leach into my body I think it protects my teeth and gums better I use regular, store-bought, commercial toothpaste
 10-27-2012, 04:57 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I see these threads popping up lately of which "gourmet" toothpaste to use. This is just for my information, why don't you use store bought "toxic" toothpaste?
Um, I guess I should make a poll, but please share your thoughts here too.

88 4,233
 10-27-2012, 07:11 PM
User Info
Steve,
i have been using "natural" toothpaste for over twenty years.
i have progressed to using just aluminum-free baking soda with peppermint or orange essential oil.
i now find even natural tubed-toothpaste to be TOO sweet for me.
i wanted to avoid all the by-products/synthetics/colours in commercial toothpaste originally, then i wanted to avoid the rest of the unnecessary ingredients that make toothpaste palatable, sweeteners and such. Once you try very simple toothpaste, i guarantee you will not be able to go back to "regular tubed-toothpaste. Good luck.

75 20,883
 10-27-2012, 07:19 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
But did you do any research on how this toothpaste, or substitute that you are using now, cleans your teeth? I mean, I know the brush does the work, but isn't toothpaste supposed to work on "protecting" and "cleaning"?

88 4,233
 10-27-2012, 07:32 PM
User Info
There are many ways, nowadays, to clean teeth and some folks are using things such as these: http://xenophilius.wordpress.com/2008/10...rom-japan/
Not sure how effective it is, but it seems to be doing a good job since starting to use it over one year ago along with aluminum-free baking soda in rotation.

75 20,883
 10-28-2012, 04:14 AM
User Info
I find some of the 'natural' toothpastes to not be as sweet as the 'regular' brands. I don't put much faith in 'natural', to be honest, but I do know what I like as far as taste goes.

Having recently started using Marvis and Couto exclusively, I've found that my teeth are whiter than they used to be with the 'regular' toothpastes. This is primarily because I like the way they taste and feel in my mouth, so I brush longer and better. I've also switched toothbrushes and use an Acca Kappa natural toothbrush......along with my Philips Sonicare. Smile

37 1,731
 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Colgate. I've been using it all my life and my teeth are just fine so see no need to pay a premium for something whose main purpose is still the same as Colgate's, cleaning teeth.

2 11,211
 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM
User Info
(10-29-2012, 10:09 AM)freddy Wrote: Colgate. I've been using it all my life and my teeth are just fine so see no need to pay a premium for something whose main purpose is still the same as Colgate's, cleaning teeth.

+1, minus the all my life part.

I spit it out anyway.

9 2,988
 10-29-2012, 11:15 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I use store bought Colgate. I switch brands every so often, the Arm and Hammer is another choice I use too.

1 3,507
 10-29-2012, 01:31 PM
User Info
The only reason I bought a tube of the Mavis; I needed something to push me into the "free shipping" zone. It is good, but not the 200% premium over the Arm & Hammer w/baking Soda toothpaste I can buy anywhere

Plus, that premium doesnt include shipping on Mavis or the fact there are coupons for Arm & Hammer every week

8 240
 10-29-2012, 01:34 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(10-29-2012, 10:16 AM)asharperrazor Wrote:
(10-29-2012, 10:09 AM)freddy Wrote: Colgate. I've been using it all my life and my teeth are just fine so see no need to pay a premium for something whose main purpose is still the same as Colgate's, cleaning teeth.

I spit it out anyway.

Lee, I forgot about that. Laughing1

2 11,211
 10-30-2012, 08:23 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Colgate anti cavity is the one I currently use. The most important thing to do is flossBiggrin

100 12,445
 01-01-2013, 08:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I switched to Marvis a year or so ago. I like the texture, the packaging, the resulting freshness, but most of all the taste. If it didn't taste better than the stock standard brands I wouldn't bother, but with Marvis and the range of wonderful flavours, brushing my teeth has become an adventure rather than a chore...

91 17,851
 01-01-2013, 08:08 AM
User Info

I spit it out anyway.

and the award for "Best line of 2012" goes to.......Biggrin

true, how very true.

i picked up a tube of Marvis from IB, hasn't got here yet, but we'll see if it's worth the $8.

as for others, i like A&H with baking soda

8 2,718
 01-01-2013, 08:21 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
When I was a kid I used Ipana. Hey, if it was good enough for Bucky Beaver, it was good enough for me.Smile

Used Crest most of my life but switched to Colgate Total about 10-years ago.

173 23,540
 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM
User Info
I use whatever is cheapest. I do prefer a paste over a gel, so I don't buy gels. Given the same price, I prefer Colgate to Crest because Colgate has the flip top cap rather than a screw off cap. Lately I've been buying the Kirkland brand from Costco.

For me, the important thing is using my Philips Sonicare toothbrush. This has far more impact on my tooth & gum health than my paste does.

0 836
 01-05-2013, 04:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I don't find the choice of toothpaste particularly impacts on the health of my teeth and gums per say... However, since I discovered the wonderful flavours of Marvis I've looked forward to brushing my teeth. So in a round about way I guess it does have health benefits because I am more motivated to brush, that said it's not like I skip brushing on the basis of boring commercial gels or pastes having boring flavours...

Probably the most beneficial dental hygiene related practise is flossing...

Lightbulb I'm calling Marvis they need to produce floss in their wonderful flavours!!! Tongue

91 17,851
 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I do my best buy non-plastic items that I can't reuse. Sadly, Tom's of Maine has started using plastic in their packaging. Can't figure that out.

I use Marvis, like others here. The taste and texture are superior. My family always looks for the tube of Marvis and they don't care much about natural ingredients or plastic.. they just like the taste..

33 914
 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM
User Info
How well do the natural toothpastes fight bad breath?

0 15
 01-30-2013, 09:20 AM
User Info

I spit it out anyway.

Just saying that this could easily be changed to the following Smile

Quote:Gillette. I've been using it all my life and my face is just fine so see no need to pay a premium for something whose main purpose is still the same as Gillette's, shaving my face.

I rinse it off anyway

8 115
 01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
User Info
(01-05-2013, 04:17 AM)ben74 Wrote: I don't find the choice of toothpaste particularly impacts on the health of my teeth and gums per say...

They do for me. Unfortunately, I have a family history of gum problems and gum recession (personally, I have had six minor gum grafting procedures done) and part of the problem have been more abrasive toothpastes. Most of the "whitening" toothpastes are very abrasive and highly damaging over the long haul.

This is one of the main reasons (other than the fact that my wife boasts about how cheaply she can get toothpaste on sale with coupons) why I haven't tried some of the more "gourmet" toothpastes. I don't know how abrasive they are; my dentist gave me some "approved" pastes, but they are of larger commercial brands. Its definitely the reason why I won't try boar bristle toothbrushes.

72 1,407