03-20-2012, 05:07 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
A review of the Weber bulldog handle stainless razor with DLC (diamond like coating) on the head.

This is my second go round with a Weber. I had the original stainless steel Weber from about a year and a half ago. It had the Weber logo on the top plate of the head. I didn't like that as most guys didn't either. But the new models don't have the logo but instead have a coating called dlc for diamond like coating which is suppose to be incredibly hard. In fact Rolex is using it on some of their watch models. I bought mine with the bulldog handle which is identical to the iKon except the knurling seems slightly deeper. The grip is near perfect. The razor with handle weighs in at 99 grams (3.5 oz) making it a hefty razor but perfectly balanced. Blade exposure is even. The shave is very close, smooth and irritation free. I really like this razor and feel its a great addition to my shaving tools.

The best part about the Webers is the price. All $70 and under. Its an incredible bargain considering the high quality and made in the United States.

[Image: Weber001.jpg]

100 12,436
 03-20-2012, 07:21 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That's a great looking razor Jerry. Would you describe this as an aggressive or mild razor? And how does the DLC feel on your face? I had a chance to try out the Feather Stainless razor and the finish of the razor made it feel very slick. I'm wondering what advantage the DLC provides.

I just looked up the DLC coating and see that among other interesting properties it has a much lower coefficient of friction, meaning that it will produce less drag on your face.

7 1,016
 03-20-2012, 08:03 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-20-2012, 07:21 AM)Sully Wrote: That's a great looking razor Jerry. Would you describe this as an aggressive or mild razor? And how does the DLC feel on your face? I had a chance to try out the Feather Stainless razor and the finish of the razor made it feel very slick. I'm wondering what advantage the DLC provides.

I just looked up the DLC coating and see that among other interesting properties it has a much lower coefficient of friction, meaning that it will produce less drag on your face.

Medium aggressive Shawn. Very smooth even ATG. Nice slickness from the DLC finish. As I told someone else they got the geometry right. The bulldog handle is perfect. Deep knurling sticks to your hands. When you consider the price point of this razor its a bargain. I can't see how they can keep the price going for an all stainless steel razor.

100 12,436
 03-20-2012, 08:19 AM
User Info
Just on observation from someone who recently picked one up but hasn't shaved with it yet, get the bulldog handle. the regular one is excessively long.

4 309
 03-20-2012, 08:46 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-20-2012, 08:19 AM)hudson Wrote: Just on observation from someone who recently picked one up but hasn't shaved with it yet, get the bulldog handle. the regular one is excessively long.

The bulldog handle is 3" long and weighs 2.4 oz. Looks and feels just like the iKon handle. High polish finish.

100 12,436
 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
I didn't realize they had a new handle option. Unfortunately the site is blocked from work. I will have to check that out. Is the price the same?

0 253
 03-20-2012, 09:13 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-20-2012, 09:00 AM)etoyoc Wrote: I didn't realize they had a new handle option. Unfortunately the site is blocked from work. I will have to check that out. Is the price the same?

$70 with the bulldog handle and dlc coated head + under $5 for shipping with tracking.

100 12,436
 03-20-2012, 09:16 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Well I was able to get into the site in a round-a-bout way. I couldn't find the new coated head with the bulldog handle. I already have the DLC head and the longer handle. I just placed the order for the bulldog head.

Oddly enough, I just used my weber this morning and was wondering when they would change prices or add other options...
I guess I am a touch behind.

0 253
 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Thanks Jerry.

7 1,016
 03-20-2012, 11:01 AM
  • HCB
User Info
cool looking razor. Maybe I'll try one someday.

1 34
 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-20-2012, 09:16 AM)etoyoc Wrote: Well I was able to get into the site in a round-a-bout way. I couldn't find the new coated head with the bulldog handle. I already have the DLC head and the longer handle. I just placed the order for the bulldog head.

Oddly enough, I just used my weber this morning and was wondering when they would change prices or add other options...

Its there. Go to weberrazors.com click on purchase then click on Amazon
its the 3rd razor from the left.

100 12,436
 03-20-2012, 12:36 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
(03-20-2012, 11:28 AM)slantman Wrote:
(03-20-2012, 09:16 AM)etoyoc Wrote: Well I was able to get into the site in a round-a-bout way. I couldn't find the new coated head with the bulldog handle. I already have the DLC head and the longer handle. I just placed the order for the bulldog head.

Its there. Go to weberrazors.com click on purchase then click on Amazon
its the 3rd razor from the left.
It looks like the DLC head to me. The only ARC head that shows up for me is the one with the longer handle. Actually, I am not too worried about the ARC head. I could just e-mail him and see if he can add it to my order.

0 253
 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
OK you are right. The ARC coated doesn't come with the bulldog handle.
But the heads are all the same regardless of coating.

100 12,436
 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
(03-20-2012, 12:52 PM)slantman Wrote: But the heads are all the same regardless of coating.

That is why I wasn't too worried about getting the ARC head. I don't know how the different coating will make that much difference. Besides, I am not sure I really need or want another razor head. But a different handle, that is another matter entirely!

0 253
 03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
I want this.
I want this.

1 265
 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
Best.shave.I.have.ever.had.

but I haven't shaved with a cobra classic or anything from the iKon family.

4 309
 03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(03-21-2012, 09:41 AM)hudson Wrote: Best.shave.I.have.ever.had.

Cobra is numero uno and then the Weber just underneath followed by iKon bulldog OC. Injectors are there as well.

However, for the money considering new Weber is the best.

100 12,436
 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info

(03-21-2012, 10:15 AM)slantman Wrote:

Cobra is numero uno and then the Weber just underneath followed by iKon bulldog OC. Injectors are there as well.

That's It. I'm ordering it this weekend.

1 265
 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
User Info
(03-21-2012, 04:42 PM)Mynorx Wrote:

(03-21-2012, 10:15 AM)slantman Wrote:

That's It. I'm ordering it this weekend.

They get them out fast, not sure if you saw the unpatiently waiting for thread, I ordered mine at 11:36(ish) friday night and it shipped the next morning before noon. Estimated time of delivery was the 27th and I got it on the 19th...but I'm only about 7 hours from Weber.

4 309
 03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
User Info
I'm with Hudson on this one. Today's shave with the Weber (and a Personna blue blade) was the best.shave.ever. Not the slightest bit of irritation and not even a tingle when I ran the alum over my face and neck. That was a tremendous first for me. I love the extra weight of the Weber head and the long handle works very well for me. I love this razor!

And he isn't kidding about speed of delivery. I ordered mine at about the same time he did Friday night and received it on Monday. I live just a bit farther away (Washington).

For the record, my first shave with the Weber was yesterday morning with one of the Astra blades that came with it. I described it on another forum as feeling like I shaved with fire. Just terrible and my face burned all day long. Astra blades just don't seem to agree with me no matter what razor they are loaded into or cream/soap used.

2 43