10-28-2012, 11:22 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1250839.JPG?m=1351450800]

Tcheon Fung Sing is a company located in Torino , Italy , started by a Chinese immigrant after the second world war.

From the Barbiere di Figaro web site :

Quote:"Tcheon Fung Sing is a historical company That since more than 50 years has been producing shaving soaps using only selected raw materials of vegetable origins. Strictly homemade manufacturing methods have always excluded preservatives and colourings in total respect of the most sensitive and Particular skins. Shaving is That is an art Carried out by 80% or almost one every morning, is thinking about them That Tcheon Fung Sing, beyond three generations, has leg producing an additional fine shaving cream. "

A Chinese name for an Italian company and a shaving soap (well , "croap"Biggrin) that could compete hand by hand with Acqua Di Parma on the scent department...yes , those are big words , I know.

[Image: P1250840.JPG?m=1351450802]

As I wrote earlier , this is a "croap" since it has the consistency of a hard cream or soft soap , like Cella or the Valobra croaps.

I recevived mine on a "salsa" refill plastic container (the american members of the forum know what Im talking about) and I transfer it to an empty RazoRock wax container , which looks a little bit better.

The container has 100 g of shaving soap/cream and would last around 2 months of regular use.

Also I noticed that this "croap" is labelled as "The first shaving soap" , but I dont know if it means the first Tcheon Fung Sing soap , the first formulation , the first scent or all the above.

Ingredient list :

[Image: P1250841.JPG?m=1351450802]

As you can see no tallow on it , but I dont know where the Stearic Acid comes from (it could be from tallow) o I wont say that this is a veggie based soap.Maybe Eric , from Barbiere di Figaro could tell us more about it.

As a good Italian "croap" is so easy to make lather from it , as you can see on the pics :

[Image: P1250842.JPG?m=1351450846]

[Image: P1250843.JPG?m=1351450848]

The lather is so thick and dense , like the one I get from Dr Selby shaving soap , which makes me believe that the Stearic Acid is from tallow.

Is also a slick lather , quiet slick , I would say , something that many wet shavers truly appreciate , specially the ones who shaves with straight razors. I would say that this soap performs like Cella in slickness of the lather and also in skin care protection , since I didnt use my pre shave oil today , and my skin feels good , no dryness or red spots after the shave with it (I have extra dry and sensitive skin).

And the scent? Oh boy , the scent.Yes , this "croap" coul compete in that department with Acqua Di Parma shaving cream.Its scent is a mix of fresh citrus with herbs and a pinch of spices.Very elegant , manly and perfect for warm and hot days. Zagara Gelsomino means flower of jasmine , for what understand , and yes , the jasmine scent is truly there.Maybe this fragrance is on the sweet side , like the Bergamotto Neroli version , but I truly like it.

This soaps are also inexpensive , and a hard soap have been released last week with this same scent.If the hard soap is as good as the soft soap , then we have two serious contenders to take the spot of Acqua Di Parma shaving cream , both in the skin care and scent departments.

86 7,123
 10-28-2012, 11:30 AM
User Info
Thank you for the review Teiste.

Tcheon Fung Sing croaps are high quality, and the scents are among the best, if not the best, out there.

4 365
 10-28-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
Indeed, they make excellent croap.

9 2,988
 10-28-2012, 12:58 PM
User Info
From your quote:

" That since more than 50 years has been producing shaving soaps using only selected raw materials of vegetable origins. "

I would assume the stearic acid has vegetable origins.

8 279
 10-28-2012, 01:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice review Teiste. Where is the best place to buy this croap?

173 23,546
 10-28-2012, 02:15 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Another excellent review, Teiste. The one Tcheon Fung Sing croap that I have is superb. When I want a good shave but don't want to fiddle about with making a decent lather, TFS always comes to mind.

2 11,211
 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
While I don't own any TFS soaps, I have owned or currently own all of the RazoRock variants. Without a doubt some of the best soap on the market hands down.

It lathers effortlessly and produces a lather that is incredibly slick and maintains great body throughout the shave. The simple formulation also rinses cleanly and leaves my skin feeling nice and soft.

The scents are also magnificent. I adore the Zi Peppino and the Cumba Cheech. I'm interested in acquiring more of the scents at some point.

13 599
 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM
User Info
I really like this croap I have this exact scent and love it. I also have the "Cannella & Arancio Amaro" scent, and like it a lot.
Good soaps, with great performance, great prices and lovely scents - what more can you ask for? Smile

2 5,532
 10-29-2012, 05:27 AM
User Info
(10-28-2012, 01:52 PM)Johnny Wrote: Nice review Teiste. Where is the best place to buy this croap?

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/tcheonfungsing.html

0 123
 10-29-2012, 09:32 AM
User Info
I can't find the scent at Bullgoose.

9 2,988
 10-29-2012, 09:36 AM
User Info
Hi Teiste,

Thank you very much for your review! I always read them with much pleasure and although you have described many scents and brands, you always seem to know exactly how to describe specific scents and characteristics. Especially if you own the soap, it is like a confirmation of what you think for yourself.

About the tallow that you didn't see, this croap is no different from the other TFS scents and therefore has no animal fats, just vegetable fats. I asked your specific question to the Artisan and will let you know a better answer soon.

Here's a pic of the new hard soap Zagara e Gelsomino:

[Image: TFS_Scheerzeep___508eb0866519f.png]

0 224
 10-29-2012, 11:29 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Testie, great review as always.

1 3,507
 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I thought the "magic" of the TFS soaps came from the highly refined coconut oil they use.

43 1,690
 11-09-2012, 05:15 AM
User Info
(10-28-2012, 11:22 AM)Teiste Wrote: Also I noticed that this "croap" is labelled as "The first shaving soap" , but I dont know if it means the first Tcheon Fung Sing soap , the first formulation , the first scent or all the above.

Definitely not the first scent, as the other scents also carry the same label

[Image: SAM_1130.JPG]

(Original image taken from barbearclassico.com)

(10-28-2012, 11:22 AM)Teiste Wrote: And the scent? Oh boy , the scent.Yes , this "croap" coul compete in that department with Acqua Di Parma shaving cream.Its scent is a mix of fresh citrus with herbs and a pinch of spices.Very elegant , manly and perfect for warm and hot days. Zagara Gelsomino means flower of jasmine, for what understand , and yes , the jasmine scent is truly there.Maybe this fragrance is on the sweet side , like the Bergamotto Neroli version , but I truly like it.

A correct translation of "zagara & gelsomino" would be "Orange Blossom & Jasmine". This soap seems also to be sold under the RazoRock trademark with the "Cumba Cheech" Huh name.

2 5,532
 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM
  • marcel
  • The Netherlands
User Info
Great review of a great soap.
I am a big fan of TFS, but this one had to grow on me. I received a sample of this soap in a early stage of production about a year ago and didn't know what to think of it. Performance was great like any other TFS soap, but the smell didn't do it. But somehow I felt drawn to it and used it once in a while, and found out I slowly grown to like it very much. This summer I got a refill from Barbieredifigaro and found out the scent had only improved. Thumbup
Great stuff!

0 117