10-28-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I'm relatively new to wet-shaving as I've only been doing it constantly for a few weeks but not new to shaving in general as I've been in the Army for a decade. Shaving every day is a way of life.

Talk me into trying an aftershave/cologne. What are the benefits and downsides? What if you have acne, what could help/worsen it? What are your favorites that are cheap? Shipping to Afghanistan isn't easy on the wallet!

Thanks in advance for the advice and recommendations.

2 127
 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Honestly, for just a basic aftershave with no scent to speak of, which hazel is superb. I use it after every shave. While I don't have acne, witch hazel, even the ones containing 14% alcohol, is considered a skin toner and not drying like pure alcohol can be.

Scented aftershave splashes can give a real boost to your ritual because of the sensory triggers. The scent is, of course, a personal choice but may not linger very long.

Good, unscented aftershave balms can be excellent moisturizers, which may help in those cold dry climates, but only a tiny amount is needed otherwise you'll end up with a greasy mess on your face.

Colognes and eau de toilettes (EdT) are really all about the scent and, like the aftershave splashes, scent is a personal thing. The scents of these usually last longer than the aftershave splashes.

2 11,211
 10-28-2012, 10:06 PM
User Info
Freddy,

Thanks for the response. The lingering of how long the scent of an aftershave lasts was one of my questions. I would assume most people that do use an aftershave don't use much of a scented soap/cream.

Thanks again!

2 127
 10-29-2012, 08:43 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I've used a splash aftershave every shave for four years. I always use an alcohol based splash instead of witch hazel as mentioned above. The benefit to both is they kill the infection that can be caused on yuor face from shaving. Also, a lot of aftershaves have some sort of moisturizing properties. Alcohol splashes do have a bit of a burn to them but I happen to like that. I can't imagine it could do anything but help acne but I'm no positive because it's not an issue for me. A few suggestion to start with are Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer which can both be bought in normal stores. Others which could be purchased at Bullgoose Shaving are Proraso, Speick, La Toja Classic, and Floid. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a priority box (what Bullgoose ships from) the same flat rate to U.S. Bases as it would be to ship somewhere else in the U.S.?

45 3,955
 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM
User Info
Speaking as one military man to another... pick a scent the guys you work with can stand.

That said, I found that Krampert's Finest is a great aftershave; it heals and seals, smells great but not for too long. That, and Brian is a nice guy (and a member here) who's a pleasure to talk to.

I would also consider getting some alum - it does a great job in closing up any minor nicks, and gives you instant feedback on where you nicked yourself.

As far as shipping goes; don't y'all have a system in place for getting care packages from home? A well wrapped bottle of A/S should make it there safely I would think - I got fragile stuff shipped to me while I was in Back-of-the-beyond, South Sudan.

3 3,554
 10-29-2012, 10:38 AM
User Info
(10-29-2012, 08:43 AM)tgutc Wrote: I've used a splash aftershave every shave for four years. I always use an alcohol based splash instead of witch hazel as mentioned above. The benefit to both is they kill the infection that can be caused on yuor face from shaving. Also, a lot of aftershaves have some sort of moisturizing properties. Alcohol splashes do have a bit of a burn to them but I happen to like that. I can't imagine it could do anything but help acne but I'm no positive because it's not an issue for me. A few suggestion to start with are Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer which can both be bought in normal stores. Others which could be purchased at Bullgoose Shaving are Proraso, Speick, La Toja Classic, and Floid. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a priority box (what Bullgoose ships from) the same flat rate to U.S. Bases as it would be to ship somewhere else in the U.S.?

I'm unsure of the priority boxes but what I do know is that USPS offers flat rate boxes and they ship to APO for $5.95 I believe. May want to double check that. Those boxes apparently are $15.95 if shipping to non-military though, from what I hear.

(10-29-2012, 09:00 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Speaking as one military man to another... pick a scent the guys you work with can stand.

That said, I found that Krampert's Finest is a great aftershave; it heals and seals, smells great but not for too long. That, and Brian is a nice guy (and a member here) who's a pleasure to talk to.

I would also consider getting some alum - it does a great job in closing up any minor nicks, and gives you instant feedback on where you nicked yourself.

As far as shipping goes; don't y'all have a system in place for getting care packages from home? A well wrapped bottle of A/S should make it there safely I would think - I got fragile stuff shipped to me while I was in Back-of-the-beyond, South Sudan.

The make of Krampert's actually offered to send me some of his Bay Rum himself and seeing as how I've never tried it I couldn't turn it down. It's only gotten excellent reviews and knowing you enjoy it too makes me even more anxious to try it myself!

In regards to shipping there isn't really a 'system' in place. It would be more on friends or spouses to send what they like.

Did you have any issue with your fragile items when they were shipped to Sudan?

2 127
 10-30-2012, 10:01 AM
User Info
Well two years ago I had never used an AS and you REALLY don't want to know how many I have now.Blush

6 323
 10-30-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
Matt, actually looking up the shipping to your APO I was surprised at how reasonable it was. Maybe because of the military handling it? I dunno. But a box 14x5x6 and 1 1/2 pounds was far less than I thought it would be. I'll find out when my receipt comes back if I figured it correctly.

32 6,308
 10-30-2012, 11:53 AM
User Info
That's great news! More than likely it is because of the military handling in particular, yes. Was it a flat-rate box? If so they have the same price every time when shipping to an APO and I believe it's around $5.95, otherwise it would be around three times that much when shipping to a civilian address.

I very much look forward to trying your Bay Rum, it's gonna be my first!

2 127
 10-30-2012, 12:13 PM
User Info
Shipping to APO seems to be subsidized by the government. Which makes sense. Or maybe it's because we're technically shipping US to US and don't have to do customs. Whatever the reason, I never mind shipping APO.

9 2,988
 11-11-2012, 08:03 PM
User Info
I use L'Occitane's cade aftershave balm.

I've used many many many moisturizers in my life ranging from Clinique to La mer to la Prairie.

The cade balm is on par , from a moisturizing perspective at least, with La Mer and La Prairie. It keeps my face moisturized for 15 hours plus.

Plus it doesn't smell too strong and hence does not interfere with my Scent of the Day.

0 193
 11-12-2012, 11:22 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Well first off, given that we just celebrated Remembrance day in Canada and Veteran's day in the US, I would like to congratulate and thank all of the individuals in the military, you folks risk your lives every day to help others and to serve your country. Society is indebted to the military and owes a gratitude that in many cases they do not want to acknowledge.

Secondly, for all you guys out there who say that you do not have time to traditional shave think again. If military personnel in a war zone can do it, then we should all be able to do it.

Finally, as far as after shave is concerned, you must have the skin type that can handle it. Personally, I suffer from Rosacea and I have sensitive, dry skin that does not react well to after shave. I used to use it on a daily basis up until my 20s, however when I got into my 30s and 40s, and my skin changed with age, the high alcohol content in after shave was hazardous to my skin and gave me Rosacea flare ups. I now use a lot of the after shave balms, much easier on the skin, no irritation and they come in an assortment of fragrances. What I suggest is for you try everything and stick to what works best for you. Everyone's skin reacts differently to the plethora of products, as such through the trial and error of experimenting with these different products, we can determine what works best for each of us.

Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 11-17-2012, 08:20 PM
User Info
Lee, though it is "US to US" by address it is still through customs I believe as a customs form is required.

Hedonist222, I think I will have to wait on trying out most aftershaves until after I arrive back in the states as it is just going to cost too much, other than Krampert's and Captain's Choice that is currently en route that is. WHen you say 'scent of the day' are you specifically talking about cologne?

Sam, thank you for the kind words but as cliche as it sounds I am simply doing my job. While it may ring true it is what I signed up for and I've been waiting a while to go on another deployment and allow me to appreciate the smaller things in life. I haven't had to deal with rosacea in particular but acne is a part of my everyday life so I can understand a bit of what you have gone through though I am glad you finally found balms to help soothe your skin. I will have to keep all of these comments in mind when I get back and go on my search again.

2 127