02-26-2012, 05:43 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have received a Simpson Sommerset (gorgeous by the way) Harvard 3 best badger from member AABCDS, and with it came this brush instructions (something that Vulfix should consider to add again with the brushes) where you can clearly see how Simpson recommended to use the brush while making lather on the face.I have found myself,and thanks to the video that I add from du212,that painting strokes works really well,even better than I was expecting it and I can use pure badger brushes with no fear of exfoliating or irritating my skin really bad.

These are some pics of the instructions :

[Image: P1230364.jpg]

[Image: P1230365.jpg]

And this is the video of du212 making lather with painting strokes.He uses Palmolive shaving stick,and almost shave with the lather he made using his hands,but later makes the painting strokes and create a lot of lather (the video is in spanish,but really easy to understand and watch)

86 7,123
 02-26-2012, 11:34 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Let's see the Harvard!!!

91 17,795
 02-27-2012, 03:22 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Can anyone other than Gary Young tell the difference between Somerset and Carter? While Gary is more than accommodating when asked to date a brush, he is yet to reveal the secrets of Simspon dating!

91 17,795
 02-27-2012, 03:43 AM
  • Fido
  • Unregistered
User Info
I don't think our friend in the video is using the gentle to and fro method ( with light use of the tips) suggested by the Simpsons leaflet.
All the well known manufacturers stress the importance of using only the tips of the brush to generate and apply lather. Firm mashing either circular or to and fro is discouraged due to the potential damage to the brush. My attitude is, if you enjoy using a brush with circular or quite vigorous motions, that's up to you. But if you use just one or two brushes like that over a period, don't complain if a brush starts to shed or show signs of excessive wear. Most brushes don't cost a fortune so are best enjoyed in the manner you prefer.

03-25-2012, 11:49 AM
User Info
(02-27-2012, 03:22 AM)ben74 Wrote: Can anyone other than Gary Young tell the difference between Somerset and Carter? While Gary is more than accommodating when asked to date a brush, he is yet to reveal the secrets of Simspon dating!

Well yes, my dad can as well........ Wink

'Carter' era brushes are still 'Somerset' brushes - just not made at Nimmer Mill. He had a small workshop unit on the outskirts of a town called Ilminster (about 5 miles from Nimmer).

Gary

0 213
 03-25-2012, 11:57 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Interesting. I think I'll try this later on today.

Nice guitar music in the vid, too!

10 1,858