10-28-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
I work the night shift from 0000-1200 so as soon as I step outside my room it is brisk with a bit of wind, me being in and out of buildings and under (running) helicopters for my 12 hour shift. I just read a post that mentions using different creams and soaps because of the weather.

What creams and soaps do you use for winter? Is there some stuff out there to help keep your face warm if you have to shave every day (shea butter)? Do you also do something different for each holiday, like pumpkin or spice for Christmas and Thanksgiving to change it up a bit?

2 127
 10-28-2012, 05:25 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I use pretty much anything year round when it comes to soaps/creams, although I do tend to use citrus products less and go heavier on QCS Vetiver and other smokey/musky soaps/creams. Now cologne is another story, I usually use Guerlain Vetiver and Cool Water through most of summer and swap over to heavier scents like Terre de Hermes, Azzaro Pour Homme and Encre Noir for fall/winter. I also occasionally splash on some Clubman Special Reserve in the winter..IMO it's better than Knize Ten for spicey leather without the mule choking petrol note and it's much cheaper.

Anyway I got waaaay off track here, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

31 1,510
 10-28-2012, 05:35 PM
User Info
Have you noticed that certain creams or soaps help your face retain warmth at all?

I'm pretty new to the DE/SR/SE scene so I haven't had much time to try much out.

2 127
 10-28-2012, 05:37 PM
User Info
Hi, welcome to the forum. Olivia's Handmade Natural Soaps are specified as being primarily for winter or summer, as are her aftershave balms. I use her Wintervariant balm frequently during the winter. The only soap of hers that I've tried was sandalwood, and it was good, quite moisturizing. And shipping might not be too bad from Germany to you. Her site: http://www.olivia-seife.de/

183 12,002
 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
User Info
(10-28-2012, 05:35 PM)HiFromAfghanist Wrote: Have you noticed that certain creams or soaps help your face retain warmth at all?

I would guess that tallow-containing soaps would help to keep the skin moisturized even in cold, dry weather (possibly in combination with shea butter). You can do a search of the forum with the keyword "tallow" for more information on which soaps that would be.

183 12,002
 10-28-2012, 05:54 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook. Smile If you mean, quite literally, warmth and not moisturization then, no, I don't know of any that would specifically do that. As has been pointed out, certain products and scents might be more associated with one season than another but that wouldn't pertain to retaining warmth.

2 11,211
 10-28-2012, 06:05 PM
User Info
(10-28-2012, 05:37 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Hi, welcome to the forum. Olivia's Handmade Natural Soaps are specified as being primarily for winter or summer, as are her aftershave balms. I use her Wintervariant balm frequently during the winter. The only soap of hers that I've tried was sandalwood, and it was good, quite moisturizing. And shipping might not be too bad from Germany to you. Her site: http://www.olivia-seife.de/

Thanks for the heads up on the site. I took a look and put a few items in the cart but had to end up seeing if she is actually able to ship to an APO as I didn't see the fields available in the address input during checkout so I will have to wait and hear for a reply.

If we do have any other military members currently deployed on this board I can post her response.

2 127
 10-28-2012, 06:12 PM
User Info
Are you military?

32 6,308
 10-28-2012, 06:15 PM
User Info
(10-28-2012, 05:37 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Hi, welcome to the forum. Olivia's Handmade Natural Soaps are specified as being primarily for winter or summer, as are her aftershave balms. I use her Wintervariant balm frequently during the winter. The only soap of hers that I've tried was sandalwood, and it was good, quite moisturizing. And shipping might not be too bad from Germany to you. Her site: http://www.olivia-seife.de/

Haven't heard of this maker before! How are her products? Reviews??

3 543
 10-28-2012, 06:22 PM
User Info
(10-28-2012, 06:15 PM)john parker Wrote: Haven't heard of this maker before! How are her products? Reviews??

There are some very brief reviews in this thread: http://shavenook.com/thread-olivia-s-han...ght=olivia
If you PM those who posted notes, I'm sure they'd give you more details.

183 12,002
 10-28-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
Yes, I am military.

2 127
 10-28-2012, 06:35 PM
User Info
In addition to shea butter and tallow, soaps with lanolin - such as Mitchell's Wool Fat or Mike's Natural Soaps - help to keep skin a little more moist. And every little bit of extra moisture will help in the face of cold, dry, biting wind and dust.

A little heads up though: Something like 3% of people have lanolin allergies. If you experience a mild red rash and a bit of itching or mild burning after trying a lanolin soap, you'll know your in the 3%.

As for post-shave, you may feel greater comfort with an after shave milk or balm versus a splash. Splashes tend to contain alcohol (hence the slight burning sensation) which can both cool skin (because of its low/fast evaporation point) and dry skin out a bit. Most milks and balms contain little, if any alcohol.

Keep your head down and stay warm!

3 147
 10-28-2012, 06:39 PM
User Info
Excellent!

PM me your address and I'll send you something you might like. Check out my signature to get an obvious clue.

How do you shave, ie. what do you use for hardware and software?

32 6,308
 10-28-2012, 06:48 PM
User Info
ShadowsDad, yes I am military, Army in particular.

2 127
 10-28-2012, 06:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for serving.

I agree with Mitchell's Wool Fat, the lanolin does help during the winter months with moisturizing. I also like Tabac during the winter.

12 1,243
 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM
User Info
(10-28-2012, 06:39 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Excellent!

PM me your address and I'll send you something you might like. Check out my signature to get an obvious clue.

How do you shave, ie. what do you use for hardware and software?

I just got my razor shipped over about two weeks ago, same for cream so my setup isn't much thus far especially as I'm relatively new.

I am using a 1954 Gillette Superspeed Flaretip, Wilkinson Sword blades, C.O. Bigelow cream and a Shea Moisture shaving brush.

That is my only razor, only blades and only cream, haha! I don't have anything else, not even in the states. I was using a paper bowl from our cafeteria for building lather
but have upgraded to a plastic one now for the time being. Trying to talk the wife into letting me purchase a few more things!

2 127
 10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info
I thank you for your service.

I would recommend Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) for the tallow and lanolin for keeping you moist in the cold weather. I myself use it far more frequently in the Chicago winters.

Looks like Brian (ShadowsDad) is going to set you up with what I would recommend as a warm *feeling* aftershave.

129 6,685
 10-28-2012, 08:52 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
If you do mean "warm" as in having something covering you to keep from cold, look at some badger fat. I know, I know Blush
Believe it or not, it really works. It literally radiates heat everywhere you apply it. It also soothes and protects your skin.
I really wish I had some left to share with you, I don't know any places stateside that sell it.

88 4,233
 10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
User Info
Indeed I am Doug. I was in this gents place at one time (except I was cold war) so I can relate somewhat. I WAS NOT in the sandbox but I had frauleins not far removed. I can't imagine, but I appreciate.

HFA,

You're doing fine with the improvising, but try face lathering and ditch the bowl. I doubt very much that you'll regret the move. It will moisturize the stubble better for easier removal. The Shea Moisture brush is a bit large and sprays a lot for face lathering, but I can take of that too. I have a boar brush all broken in by hand lathering and it was waiting for the right person. You're that person. It can bowl lather, but it's perfect for face lathering. I use it's brother in my rotation and it's been in my rotation for well over a year.

Do you know if your water is soft or hard? Ah, makes no difference. I know what to send. We'll handle the moisturizing with the finish to the shave. Soap is for the shave, the aftershave should be for the rest of the day IMO. Just sit back, you're in good hands. Trust me on this.

I just hope it doesn't leak, but if it does it'll smell great! I'll be sure to separately bag everything that can leak. Hey, I told you I'd send it tomorrow. It may take more time than that to give this the thought it deserves and we have a hurricane for the next 3 days. It might not go out for a few days. But it will go out.

32 6,308
 10-28-2012, 09:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You're a good man Brian.

173 23,486