10-29-2012, 12:13 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Does anyone own or have owned a Simpson 55B? I am really liking my Case in best A LOT! Would like to add a similar brush to replace the Commodore X1B, which for me is too big. I really like everything the Case. Density, size, handle, the whole thing is just a perfect brush for me. I thought Commodore X1B was when I first got it, but after getting the Case I almost never reach for the Commodore, which is one of the best brushes out there, BTW. So I am thinking 55B has similar dimensions to the Case and is almost twice the price, so is it much more dense than the Case? Case seems to combine perfect softness, backbone and contact patch for me. Wondering if I should consider a much more expensive brush or try something like a Special in best? Just for the record, I tried Berkeley 46B and liked it, but didn't love it, then the Commodore X1B and loved it, but after trying the Case I am not sure about the Commodore X1B any more. I really prefer the Case. I also really like Wee Scot and if it weren't for the handle that could be my daily driver. As it is, the Case is it. If anyone owned both the 55B and the Case and can compare the two I would appreciate it. Why does 55B cost $85 and Case $45 when both brushes have very similar dimensions? Density? I am not sure I need a brush more dense than the Case, which is plenty dense.

25 1,705
 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-29-2012, 12:13 PM)vferdman Wrote: Does anyone own or have owned a Simpson 55B? I am really liking my Case in best A LOT! Would like to add a similar brush to replace the Commodore X1B, which for me is too big. I really like everything the Case. Density, size, handle, the whole thing is just a perfect brush for me. I thought Commodore X1B was when I first got it, but after getting the Case I almost never reach for the Commodore, which is one of the best brushes out there, BTW. So I am thinking 55B has similar dimensions to the Case and is almost twice the price, so is it much more dense than the Case? Case seems to combine perfect softness, backbone and contact patch for me. Wondering if I should consider a much more expensive brush or try something like a Special in best? Just for the record, I tried Berkeley 46B and liked it, but didn't love it, then the Commodore X1B and loved it, but after trying the Case I am not sure about the Commodore X1B any more. I really prefer the Case. I also really like Wee Scot and if it weren't for the handle that could be my daily driver. As it is, the Case is it. If anyone owned both the 55B and the Case and can compare the two I would appreciate it. Why does 55B cost $85 and Case $45 when both brushes have very similar dimensions? Density? I am not sure I need a brush more dense than the Case, which is plenty dense.

Yes, the main difference is density. The 55b probably has 2x the hair the case does and is probably more in line with Duke density whereas the Case is more comparable to Colonel/Commodore density.

31 1,510
 10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
I owned a CASE for quite sometime and really enjoyed the performance of that brush. However, as my brush collection has expanded to other Simpson brushes, the 55 has become a favorite.

As Byron mentions above, the 55 is denser than the CASE by at least twice as much. Although this brush is in BEST grade, the softness of the tips is outstanding. Another plus is the handle, great ergonomics and very easy to handle. And BTW...it makes a great travel brush too...wont fit in the Simpson Travel tube due to it's loft but a drugstore pill bottle does the trick.

Good Luck!

45 708
 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(10-29-2012, 12:50 PM)GMofmiami Wrote: I owned a CASE for quite sometime and really enjoyed the performance of that brush. However, as my brush collection has expanded to other Simpson brushes, the 55 has become a favorite.

As Byron mentions above, the 55 is denser than the CASE by at least twice as much. Although this brush is in BEST grade, the softness of the tips is outstanding. Another plus is the handle, great ergonomics and very easy to handle. And BTW...it makes a great travel brush too...wont fit in the Simpson Travel tube due to it's loft but a drugstore pill bottle does the trick.

Good Luck!

If the 55B is twice as dense as the Case I am not sure it will even absorb soap. Case is a very dense brush, but I must admit, I never tried a Simpson that cost north of $60, so Chubby, Duke, etc. are not known to me. However, I think Case is just right for density. What will more density achieve? The Case is super soft and I do not want for softer. The Commodore X1B I have as I mentioned will soon be for sale as it is too soft and not enough backbone, whereas Case has tons of backbone and softness is outstanding. I guess I need to experience one of those pricier Simpsons to understand as so many people love their Dukes and Chubbys and Classics. 55B seems a perfect size for me. I love small but dense brushes like the Case and Wee Scot. The 55B does have a nice looking handle, but again, Case is no slouch in the handle department. So, I guess I need to justify that extra $40 of the price of 55B vs Case...

25 1,705
 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-29-2012, 04:18 PM)vferdman Wrote:
(10-29-2012, 12:50 PM)GMofmiami Wrote: I owned a CASE for quite sometime and really enjoyed the performance of that brush. However, as my brush collection has expanded to other Simpson brushes, the 55 has become a favorite.

Good Luck!

If the 55B is twice as dense as the Case I am not sure it will even absorb soap. Case is a very dense brush, but I must admit, I never tried a Simpson that cost north of $60, so Chubby, Duke, etc. are not known to me. However, I think Case is just right for density. What will more density achieve? The Case is super soft and I do not want for softer. The Commodore X1B I have as I mentioned will soon be for sale as it is too soft and not enough backbone, whereas Case has tons of backbone and softness is outstanding. I guess I need to experience one of those pricier Simpsons to understand as so many people love their Dukes and Chubbys and Classics. 55B seems a perfect size for me. I love small but dense brushes like the Case and Wee Scot. The 55B does have a nice looking handle, but again, Case is no slouch in the handle department. So, I guess I need to justify that extra $40 of the price of 55B vs Case...

The Chubby has enough hair in it to choke a donkey, seriously it requires 2-3x the soap of most other brushes. The Duke is a step or two below that but still a nice thick wall of badger and then you have the lower end Simpsons that are a couple of steps below the Duke density. In my opinon the Duke is right in the sweet spot for density, anymore than that and you can start to have flow issues. As far as what more density achieves, the main factor is feel on the face, a very dense brush retains oodles of heat, it's like lathering with a mini-heater that has thousands of little fingers massaging your face...basically density provides more luxury.

31 1,510
 10-29-2012, 06:29 PM
User Info
(10-29-2012, 12:13 PM)vferdman Wrote: If the 55B is twice as dense as the Case I am not sure it will even absorb soap. Case is a very dense brush, but I must admit, I never tried a Simpson that cost north of $60, so Chubby, Duke, etc. are not known to me. However, I think Case is just right for density. What will more density achieve? The Case is super soft and I do not want for softer. The Commodore X1B I have as I mentioned will soon be for sale as it is too soft and not enough backbone, whereas Case has tons of backbone and softness is outstanding. I guess I need to experience one of those pricier Simpsons to understand as so many people love their Dukes and Chubbys and Classics. 55B seems a perfect size for me. I love small but dense brushes like the Case and Wee Scot. The 55B does have a nice looking handle, but again, Case is no slouch in the handle department. So, I guess I need to justify that extra $40 of the price of 55B vs Case...

Twice as dense may be an overstatement. Here's Teiste's review of the 55 in which he states that the 55 isn't as dense as he expected, and then goes on to say is fine by him because he doesn't like overly dense brushes.

27 354
 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I am now seeing slightly different measurements for this brush. At WCS it is listed as 18mm knot and 41mm loft. At SuperiorShave it is listed as 20mm knot with 44mm loft. That's a big difference and I am not sure which is correct. The case is listed on WCS as 19mm knot and 42mm loft and on SuperiorShave it's 18mm knot and 40mm loft. So, if I want to basically a Case cousin it seems WCS seems to indicate that 55 is it, but SuperiorShave indicates they are very different in size. I will measure my own Case and see which is more correct at least on the Case. Is anyone can do the same for a 55 in their possession I'd appreciate it.

Brush.. | .....WCS.... | SuperiorShave
--------+--------------+----------------
...Case | 19/42 - $48 .| 18/40 - $49
...55.. | 18/41 - $83 .| 20/44 - $88

Something tells me SuperiorShave is correct in measurements. This would explain the price difference also. If SuperiorShave is correct then I really do not want the 55 and would rather try something like a Special in Best.

25 1,705
 10-29-2012, 08:00 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-29-2012, 07:56 PM)vferdman Wrote: I am now seeing slightly different measurements for this brush. At WCS it is listed as 18mm knot and 41mm loft. At SuperiorShave it is listed as 20mm knot with 44mm loft. That's a big difference and I am not sure which is correct. The case is listed on WCS as 19mm knot and 42mm loft and on SuperiorShave it's 18mm knot and 40mm loft. So, if I want to basically a Case cousin it seems WCS seems to indicate that 55 is it, but SuperiorShave indicates they are very different in size. I will measure my own Case and see which is more correct at least on the Case. Is anyone can do the same for a 55 in their possession I'd appreciate it.

Brush | WCS | SuperiorShave
--------+--------------+----------------
Case | 19/42 - $48 | 18/40 - $49
| |
55 | 18/41 - $83 | 20/44 - $88
| |

Something tells me SuperiorShave is correct in measurements. This would explain the price difference also.

Simpson brushes are hand crafted which apparently is an excuse for variations (sometimes substantial) in lofts and width of knot. I say poppycock and it's an excuse to be sloppy. Anyway, yes that is the reason for the price, Jerod at Superior Shave takes a lot of time to unpackage and photo every brush and take measurements so the buyer knows exactly what they are getting.

31 1,510
 10-29-2012, 08:05 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(10-29-2012, 08:00 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Simpson brushes are hand crafted which apparently is an excuse for variations (sometimes substantial) in lofts and width of knot. I say poppycock and it's an excuse to be sloppy. Anyway, yes that is the reason for the price, Jerod at Superior Shave takes a lot of time to unpackage and photo every brush and take measurements so the buyer knows exactly what they are getting.

Yes, I think you are right. 55 is more of a Berkeley size, which is too big for my liking, though a 55 may be a bit more dense than the Berkeley, which would help. However, I really want another Case sized brush, so I think I am looking at the Special in Best.

25 1,705
 11-21-2012, 08:31 PM
User Info
Just a follow-up to this thread. I've now owned a Case for about 2 weeks. I used to own a 55. My Case is at least as dense - in fact I'd say denser - maybe they've changed the recipe since the other posters who felt the 55 was twice as dense as the Case bought theirs.

It's also the most underrated brush I've tried in Simpson's lineup. I say this without particular fondness for the Simpson brand. But this brush (though it's shedding like a molting snake at the moment) is a fantastic buy.

27 354
 11-21-2012, 08:35 PM
User Info
(11-21-2012, 08:31 PM)scritchnscrub Wrote: Just a follow-up to this thread. I've now owned a Case for about 2 weeks. I used to own a 55. My Case is at least as dense - in fact I'd say denser - maybe they've changed they've changed the recipe since the other posters who felt the 55 was twice as dense as the Case bought theirs.

It's also the most underrated brush I've tried in Simpson's lineup. I say this without particular fondness for the Simpson brand. But this brush (though it's shedding like a molting snake at the moment) is a fantastic buy.

I own a Case and use it for travel/camping. It's a fantastic little brush, very dense and soft at the same time. no issues releasing lather and the price was right.

to me, it's the perfect travel brush.

mine does not shed, nor do i remember it shedding. hopefully you can get yours to stop or get it resolved thru the vendor or simpson.

8 2,718
 11-22-2012, 12:55 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
I have both the Case and the 55, and both are very densely packed. But the 55 is the better brush, has a better and bigger and more ergonomic handle and the knot is a little bit bigger and at least my specimen is better formed, while my Case has some craters. I clearly prefer the 55 over the Case.

But then, the Case is much cheaper. Decisions, decisions.

0 229