10-29-2012, 01:36 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
I came across the outstanding reviews on both this brands shaving soap and shaving cream and figured I would write a review on the Aftershave Balm!

A lot has been said about this brand already. It exist for over 450 years and is the oldest shave products company in Holland still existing. Maybe even the oldest in the world?

Since I'm from Holland and the brand is from this country it is not hard for me to get by the products of De Vergulde Hand. However, this balm is harder to find. The shaving soap and shaving cream can be found in literally every drugstore around Holland. The balm is found in the larger drugstores. That being said, it can easily be found in any city throughout Holland.

Price
Just like the shaving soap and the shaving cream this is a cheap product. I paid 4,50 euro's for mine. That's around 6 dollars.

Packaging
The product comes in a 100 ml tube. Nothing fancy really. It has the good old yellow and blue color to it and is opened by a cap. No screw cap, a 'click' cap, or whatever it's called Biggrin

[Image: 970_Vergulde_Hand_aftershave.jpg]

Scent
The scent is a bit harder to describe. There is almost none to be honest. Much to the opposite from the shaving soap, which has a very masculine scent to it. I do recognize the same scent in the balm, but it really is barely noticeable. I like it, because it will not interfere with the aftershave splash or EdT I choose at that moment.

Easiness in use
The balm has a rather thick substance to it. Therefore it can be a bit harder to apply on the face. Nothing unpleasant, but you'll have apply it with a little pressure to equally spread the product on your face. Also, the balm tends to leave a bit of a sticky feel to the face, which I like alot during the winter.

Skincare
Now, to me, the most important part of an aftershave balm; the skincare.
This product gets a really high score in my opinion and I'll tell you why;
To me this balm really moisturises the skin. The climate I live in tends to really suck the moist out of your skin on some days and this balm is great to give back those moisturising needs! As this balm is formulated for sensitive skin and hypo-allergic this balm is perfect for people with sensitive skin. Specially during the winter days I can really enjoy this balm. Also, it patches up rough and red spots after a bad shave. Calms the skin for that matter. It really leaves your face feeling great!

Ingredients
Aqua-Cliceryl-Stearate SE-Ethyhexil-Ethylhexanoate-Cetyl Alcohol-Cetearet 20-Glycerin-Ethylhexyl Stearate-Phenoxyetthanol-Dimethicone-Parfum-Allantion-Tocopheryl Acetate-Panthenol-Amyl Cinnamic Aldehyde-Benzyl-Salicylate-Citral-Coumarin-D-Limonen-Hexil Cinnamic Aldehyde-Liial-Linaool-Methylparaben-Propylparaben-Methylparaben-propylparaben-Methildibromo-Glutaronitrile.

My conclusion
I like the shaving soap, I like the shaving cream and I really really like the balm! It has a clean scent to it, has good skincare and leaves my face happy.
My tube is almost empty and I will not hesitate to buy a new tube for a second.

5 447
 10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
User Info
Robbin,
This is a great review. The balm was one of the DVH products that I was most excited to try. I loved the scent, I agree it was a bit lighter than the soaps. Unfortunately, there was something in it that burned my face so I had to trade it away. Once the burning subsided, however, I did notice that my skin felt very moisturized. It's a shame that something in it didn't agree with me.

31 7,912
 10-29-2012, 03:29 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Robbin, thank you for a superb review. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 10-30-2012, 12:15 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
(10-29-2012, 03:17 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Robbin,
This is a great review. The balm was one of the DVH products that I was most excited to try. I loved the scent, I agree it was a bit lighter than the soaps. Unfortunately, there was something in it that burned my face so I had to trade it away. Once the burning subsided, however, I did notice that my skin felt very moisturized. It's a shame that something in it didn't agree with me.

Brian, I've heard your story before. Both with the shaving soap and the balm. It really is a shame since it is formulated for sensitive skin and is marked as hypo-allergic. Thanks for the kind words on my review!

Freddy, thank you too for your kind words!

There is a new DVH shaving soap, called extra fris (= extra fresh). I have not tried this one out yet, but I will. There are some discussions going on whether or not this is a LE or is here to stay. Either way, it's only 2,50 dollars so when you can, get it!

5 447