Poll: Muhle R4189?
Great idea!
Completely Ridiculous Idea Don't USe Either and Could Care Less
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
 10-29-2012, 02:12 PM
User Info
I got this crazy idea the other day while shaving a nice thick growth. I was using my R41, which has found a permanent home with me next to my all time favorite razor, the R89. This is a JUST FOR FUN discussion and I hope you guys find it as such! Biggrin

Here is a shave breakdown (for me,ymmv) between the two:

R41
The first pass is very comfortable and effecient at clearing that growth away. Pass two however loses alot of that comfort, feeling the blade and such. Most hair is gone, needing only a touchup pass to complete, but... Final ATG touchup here and there is a tricky proposition and feels rather sharp.
Overall quality of shave: Very close and smooth. Fairly Comfortable

R89
First pass does a decent job of reduction, and is quite comfortable. Second pass continues the reduction down to minimal whiskers. Still rather comfortable. Third pass is close enough to call it done, however a fourth touchup ATG pass is needed for BBS. Comfort is still good.
Overall quality of shave: Very close but requires more effort. Good comfort.

So here's the crazy idea: The first pass efficiency of the R41 combined with the subsequemt pass comfort of the R89. I think this would be great if it could be a dual sided head design. One side R41, the other R89. Forget all potential engineering/head design/blade geometry etc. with making this happen. What do you think of that idea? Is that a razor that you think would work well for you?

Vote and Discuss!

4 253
 10-29-2012, 02:16 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
This could actually work! I might even pay for it if this was available.

88 4,233
 10-29-2012, 02:25 PM
User Info
John, that is a crazy idea. In a good way and that is what i voted for. i would not get it as i found the R41 too uncomfortable of shaver even for the firt pass.
Have you ever tried the Cobra? i think you may find it is what you are looking for. Hee hee.
Good luck in your search for the Frankenrazor, but why don't you just use both razors in your shaves? Some gents use two raozrs for a shave. Good luck!

75 20,883
 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM
User Info
(10-29-2012, 02:25 PM)celestino Wrote: John, that is a crazy idea. In a good way and that is what i voted for. i would not get it as i found the R41 too uncomfortable of shaver even for the firt pass.
Have you ever tried the Cobra? i think you may find it is what you are looking for. Hee hee.
Good luck in your search for the Frankenrazor, but why don't you just use both razors in your shaves? Some gents use two raozrs for a shave. Good luck!

Thanks celestino!
I'd love to try a Cobra!!! But they're way out of my price range. They seem like an awesome razor, but yea... far too much $ for me.
As far as using both R41 and R89... yea I could. But this is about maximum efficiency man! Biggrin

4 253
 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I am not for one razor sharing two different heads. You go from one extreme to the other. I think your beard will be confused. As far as the Cobra is concerned in a way I am sorry I sold mine. The biggest problem is buying replacement blades.

100 12,437
 10-29-2012, 02:41 PM
User Info
John,
As a owner of both the R41 and the twin of the R89, the Edwin Jagger DE89 I voted great idea.

Almost like Ikons idea with their twin head open comb/closed comb razor but at 1/2 the cost.

I use the R41 about 90% of the time but am going to try your idea on my next shave with the first pass R41 and the DE89 on the second pass.I only make two passes now with light touch-up.

5 337
 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM
User Info
Great idea a cheaper ikon (which I want) at a better price.

1 85
 10-29-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
Well, I don't think it's a ridiculous idea, but I don't have a problem with comfortable subsequent passes with the R41 either. But if it works for you, go for it.

32 6,308