10-29-2012, 05:26 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I've some to enjoy my Semogue boars more and more, certainly on par with badger brushes for me, and I'm curious about the rest of the field. I've had one Omega previously, but it was a TGN knot and I don't really know where it fits in with the rest of the Omega line. It never seemed to break in as well as my Semogues, so it was handed over to a friend. But the boar bug has bitten and I'm curious about Omega again. What brushes would you recommend? I face lather for the most part, so I don't want any excessively tall knots, and for pure aesthetics I like the bleached boar over banded, but that is less important. One of the big attraction to Semogue brushes are their beautiful handles, the Omega handles just don't seem to wow me as much.

Thanks all!

Quick edit, there's one brush I remember seeing on here, cream colored, Polo style handle with a gold Omega emblem on it, can anyone find that brush?

35 1,732
 10-29-2012, 06:03 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I really enjoy my 10066, it's perfect for face lathering, the handle is cheap though, hollow and lightweight. This is common with Omega handles, they have some nicer ones but a large majority are cheap. Jerod at Superior Shave has some of least common Omegas I've seen and several of them look to have high quality handles.

Edit: Shoebox Shave also has a great selection or lesser seen Omega's.

31 1,510
 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-29-2012, 05:26 PM)Tonality Wrote: I've some to enjoy my Semogue boars more and more, certainly on par with badger brushes for me, and I'm curious about the rest of the field. I've had one Omega previously, but it was a TGN knot and I don't really know where it fits in with the rest of the Omega line. It never seemed to break in as well as my Semogues, so it was handed over to a friend. But the boar bug has bitten and I'm curious about Omega again. What brushes would you recommend? I face lather for the most part, so I don't want any excessively tall knots, and for pure aesthetics I like the bleached boar over banded, but that is less important. One of the big attraction to Semogue brushes are their beautiful handles, the Omega handles just don't seem to wow me as much.

Thanks all!

Quick edit, there's one brush I remember seeing on here, cream colored, Polo style handle with a gold Omega emblem on it, can anyone find that brush?

Anthony,

I've got one, it is the Omega 45. If you would be interested in it send me a PM

173 23,486
 10-29-2012, 06:44 PM
User Info
The 31025 Scarlatti is very good, I think. I got it from Bullgoose. It is very similar in performance to the Semogue 1305, but the Omega handle is more durable acrylic.

6 230
 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
It appears Connaught in the UK is having an Omega clearance on some really nice brushes. Great vendor, I usually get my Tabac, MWF and Harris refills from them.

31 1,510
 10-29-2012, 07:23 PM
User Info
The Omega 10019 has the cheap handle you referred to Anthony, but the knot is perfect for face lathering.

32 6,308
 10-29-2012, 07:38 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
The cheap handles are what turn me off to Omega, though thank you Byron for the link, those are much nicer handles and discounts are great, and thank you Johnny for finding the brush, I may try that one out.

What say you all though, are they really worth it over Semogue brushes?

35 1,732
 10-29-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
As far as the knot goes on my 10019, it's every bit as good as either of my Semogue brushes. It might be just a few hairs less dense, maybe. But it has fewer wild hairs that stick out at right angles.

I'd look over the Omegas and if you see something that interests you talk to the vendor and see what the handle is. But you can pretty much tell by the price too. As you would expect the hollow handles are very inexpensive brushes.

Shoebox has a bewildering selection of Omegas and he has a spec' list posted that will guide you.

32 6,308
 10-29-2012, 07:54 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-29-2012, 07:38 PM)Tonality Wrote: What say you all though, are they really worth it over Semogue brushes?

I dunno, I like both but Omega kind of wins out by a narrow margin for me..I have 4 boar brushes, a Semogue 1800, SOC cherry, Omega 10066 and a Omega Pro 48 and I find myself enjoying the 66 and 48 slightly more and honestly I can't tell you why, it's odd. I used to own a Semogue 2011 LE bristle 1 and a 830, I sold the 830 because it became way too floppy and the LE because it was a terrible brush, absolutely terrible. I think I had a defective one with too large of a glue bump and when combined with the super short loft it could not hold more than 1 pass of lather, I could literally load it for 2 minutes and end up with thin sloppy lather on pass #2. Even though I do like Semogue I think those 2 brushes tarnished their luster in my eyes.

31 1,510
 10-29-2012, 09:58 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
I've read a few times that the LE 1 wasn't a great brush, but the 2 was.

Brian, I will have a look at shoebox, especially the 10xxx series.

35 1,732
 10-30-2012, 02:53 AM
User Info
There really isn't much deviation in the knots, you've got the bleached and then you've got the banded; they seem to feel the same.

Just pick a handle and loft you desire basically, I'm personally not a fan of the tall loft Pro's though.

The Beechwood handle seems to be the most recommended.

0 652
 10-30-2012, 01:16 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I'm a big fan and user of Semogue brushes.I also have an Omega 48 that I have had over a year, the quality has been very good. The Omega has lost only a few bristles in the time I have had it.

1 3,507