10-30-2012, 04:14 AM
User Info
Everyday I head to the showers and I use the (OD) green towels you originally get issued when you join the military. It's the best thing I have that will do the job. They are smaller than normal, thin, uncomfortable and don't retain heat for more than 45 seconds. It makes me think as I do my hot-towel prep before I shave; what do you use for a towel?

Is there one you found that is just perfect for you, it fits your needs? How did you come across it? Maybe you don't even use a towel any longer and use something else that does the job better for you.

Fill me in on your pre-shave prep secrets!

2 127
 10-30-2012, 04:26 AM
User Info
I gave up on the hot towel prep a long time ago. I just felt it was more hassle than it was worth to me. Now I wash my face with face soap & cold water (though it's almost getting cold enough for a warm water shave again), rinse, lather up, let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes, rinse, relather, shave as usual.

My wife did buy a couple of plush towels from Target for me but they don't absorb water worth a damn. Still, I use them, because my wife bought them for me. What I also use, are some dish towels we bought from Costco. After a few washings they've become very absorbent.

You can see my Costco towel in the background here:
[Image: 7723088674_1821e4b782_z.jpg]

0 836
 10-30-2012, 04:44 AM
User Info
That towel looks like it could be comfortable. The razor looks beautiful though, especially with the gold! I have no idea what it is other than it is an open comb, three-piece maybe?

2 127
 10-30-2012, 04:47 AM
User Info
(10-30-2012, 04:44 AM)HiFromAfghanist Wrote: That towel looks like it could be comfortable. The razor looks beautiful though, especially with the gold! I have no idea what it is other than it is an open comb, three-piece maybe?

That's a Gillette Old Type from the 20's that I picked up at an antique store near my folk's place, and yes, it's a 3 piece. It came with a case and a blade holder for only $24. This picture is after I cleaned it up with scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush. It's turned out to be one of my top two razors.

0 836
 10-30-2012, 05:16 AM
User Info
I keep hearing about antique stores and people just walking out of them with steals on razors. I can't wait to get back to the states and give it a shot.

For $24 it sounds like you really got a great deal especially seeing how it is your top two razors, I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

2 127
 10-30-2012, 08:16 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
You can get a deal at an Antique Store but, you have to like driving around and going shoping.

You can also find Straights (most are expensive) and razors other than Gillettes.

I found a nice Gillette Sheraton for 14.00 at one Antique shop.

Towels - I bought some "Barber Towels" - somewhat small, thin and a rather cheap cotton fabric.

So if you need a towell find a cheap cotton towel that covers your face and enjoy.

1 819
 10-30-2012, 08:23 AM
User Info
Hi Matt. If you enjoy the hot towel prep, then by all means keep at it and just do the best with what you have. I'm a cold water shaver (CWS) as that works best for me. While I'm not suggesting it would be best for you, I do want you to know that a hot towel is not necessary for prep. My prep is quite simple and only consists of a quick facial massage using a pre-shave soap (or just a glycerine bar soap can work well), then I face lather and allow the lather to sit for a bit before I perform my first pass.

Whatever you do, aim for great results and enjoy doing it! Biggrin

31 7,914
 10-30-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
I don't use a towel before the shave, but I do use glycerine preshave soap (such as Ach Brito Glyce), Shave Secret preshave oil, or my own homemade preshave oil, and I find that the treatment helps me get a smooth, easy shave.

184 12,003
 10-30-2012, 08:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Only time I use a hot towel is if I let the barber give me a shave. I just rinse well with warm water then wash with a moisturizing soap, rinse again and lather up.

173 23,547
 10-30-2012, 10:37 AM
User Info
 10-30-2012, 06:55 PM
User Info
Matt, i also gave up on the hot towels and hot water. i use cold water, principally, now.
The towel Brian (shadowsdad) suggested is good. Good luck.

75 20,883
 10-30-2012, 07:25 PM
User Info
Brian,

Your thread was a great read and full of information, thanks for sharing! Looks like microfiber is the choice if a decision is to be made.

Celestino, what differences have you found personally in changing from hot water to cold water, what are the benefits you've seen?

2 127
 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
User Info
Matt,

I have a connection who maybe able to find me a Gillette Old Type at a good price. I will talk to him tomorrow. I have one, but it is replated so more expensive. I will see what Sam has available in decent shape. We can work something out.

As far as towels, I don't use one I just use a good hot water wash beforehand. I myself do not like a cold water shave, bit it is a personal preference. I certainly would not want to do a true cold water shave here in the winter when tap water can get down to just above freezing.

129 6,685
 10-30-2012, 11:24 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
I gave up on hot towels aswell. For me they just didn't work. My skin was more prone to irritation and nicks when I'd use a hot towel.

My prep is a good rinse with warm water, wash face with Proraso Glycerin soap, rinse and then facelather (99% of the time). This works very well for me.
I had a quick flirt with cold water shaving when I first started DE shaving as I had less irritation with cold water. But once I had my technique down properly it wasn't an issue anymore and I switched back to warm water.

5 447
 10-30-2012, 11:25 PM
User Info
Thanks Doug,

As always you know I appreciate anything and everything!

I suppose I'm trying to comprehend what the benefits of a cold water shave are without actually have to do it myself Tongue

I see how making the face hot with a towel would make the hair easier to cut and can almost understand how a cold water shave would make the face firm giving the skin a concrete base so the razor slices just the hair, but then again this is all assumptions.

2 127
 10-31-2012, 04:36 AM
User Info
Your whiskers will soften when wet, be it with cold water or warm water.

0 836
 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM
User Info
(10-30-2012, 04:14 AM)HiFromAfghanist Wrote: Everyday I head to the showers and I use the (OD) green towels you originally get issued when you join the military. It's the best thing I have that will do the job. They are smaller than normal, thin, uncomfortable and don't retain heat for more than 45 seconds. It makes me think as I do my hot-towel prep before I shave; what do you use for a towel?

Is there one you found that is just perfect for you, it fits your needs? How did you come across it? Maybe you don't even use a towel any longer and use something else that does the job better for you.

Fill me in on your pre-shave prep secrets!

Matt, I like a 100% cotton small hand towel, I don't care about the color but I found it is important that it is a clean fresh towel if possible

0 34
 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM
User Info
(10-30-2012, 10:43 PM)wingdo Wrote: I certainly would not want to do a true cold water shave here in the winter when tap water can get down to just above freezing.

Doug, that's exactly why I detest a cold water shave, no other reason really. Too many of them were forced on me when I wore OD. Maybe if I had better memories of them, with possibly even tepid water, but when ice is on the water, and one is shivering trying to bring up the core temperature from a cold rainy night in a foxhole, it is the pits IMO. Shaving was not optional. Too many bad memories of cold water shaves.

Like my uncle who served in WW2... he WOULD NOT, could not eat Spam. He'd had far too much of it. But not eating wasn't really an option back then. It was something he had to do.

32 6,310
 10-31-2012, 09:55 AM
User Info
I just wash my face before I shave.

Like 5Savages said, it doesn't matter if its hot water or cold water, the whiskers will absorb the water and become bloated. Just like the badger brush.

That said, hot towel shave sure feels great!

9 2,988
 10-31-2012, 10:40 AM
User Info
(10-31-2012, 08:20 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Like my uncle who served in WW2... he WOULD NOT, could not eat Spam. He'd had far too much of it. But not eating wasn't really an option back then. It was something he had to do.

My dad was a POW during the Korean war. He spent 20 or so months in a Chinese / N. Korean POW camp, most of that time "in a hole in the ground". He NEVER ate rice as long as I knew him. We could occasionally go to an asian restaurant but he always either got a noodle dish, or the sole american item on the menu.

129 6,685