10-30-2012, 08:39 AM
User Info
What do you guys think about making donations for deployed service members? Are there any forum members who are deployed service members who would be willing to distribute donated shaving items to interested or curious soldiers, sailors, and airmen? It would give them more to look forward to every day.

18 242
 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(10-30-2012, 08:39 AM)twallis Wrote: What do you guys think about making donations for deployed service members?

Hi

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would be happy to donate some shaving gear to such members...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
User Info
Great idea. Count me in to make donations. My daughter and her husband are both active duty military and I know the sacrifice our men and women in uniform make to preserve our freedom and way of life.

37 2,945
 10-30-2012, 02:00 PM
User Info
I'm in. Heck, I will buy new items to send to deployed GIs. Keep us posted.

15 316
 10-30-2012, 04:25 PM
User Info
I just PIF'd an assortment of blades to our new member "HiFromAfganist" who just joined a few days ago.

Maybe we could start a thread for deployed members to post a Wish List and members could send them items directly.

2 202
 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM
User Info
Grande - a wish list is a great idea.

15 316
 10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
User Info
Any suggestions from our Moderators as to the best way to go about this? I am relatively new to the forum. I think this is especially timely as we approach Christmas. Any help in setting up a wish list would be appreciated. To our active military forum members, please chime in and let us know what you think. Would you be able to help us identify beneficiaries of shaving donations? BullGoose, would you offer discounts and arrange shipping for new shaving items purchased from your store for donation?

18 242
 10-30-2012, 07:40 PM
User Info
Speaking as a user, I like this idea. I myself sent a number of items to Matt.

I have posted a link to this thread in the mods forum to make sure all are aware and we can discuss.

129 6,685
 10-30-2012, 08:04 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
It is a nice thought but, I am tapped out. Maybe down the road.

45 16,310
 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM
User Info
(10-30-2012, 08:04 PM)bullgoose Wrote: It is a nice thought but, I am tapped out. Maybe down the road.

Sorry to have put you on the spot. We know you do so much already. Thanks for all you do. You may never know how much we all appreciate it.

18 242
 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM
User Info
I'll pay Phil retail. It's worth it to me.

15 316
 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(10-30-2012, 08:07 PM)twallis Wrote:
(10-30-2012, 08:04 PM)bullgoose Wrote: It is a nice thought but, I am tapped out. Maybe down the road.

Sorry to have put you on the spot. We know you do so much already. Thanks for all you do. You may never know how much we all appreciate it.

(10-30-2012, 08:08 PM)slackskin Wrote: I'll pay Phil retail. It's worth it to me.

Thanks guys. Cool

45 16,310
 10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
Here's a chance to show our deployed service members how much we appreciate them and send some full retail business Phil's way. Win-win.

18 242
 10-30-2012, 10:04 PM
User Info
I think it's a great idea. The packages from "The World" means a lot to them.

I've already sent to Matt and that did me in as well, at least for a bit. He should have a good bit of Shave Den going when it gets there.

32 6,309
 10-30-2012, 10:38 PM
User Info
Personally I think it's a great idea! I look forward to my shave every day, I even shave twice a day sometimes.

Anything you guys had in mind thus far?

I assume the packages would work the same as 'care packages' in a sense. If you like, as I did my last deployment, I can take a vote of who would be interested
and also ask for a shaving wishlist from the Soldiers in my unit and once a package arrives I can put it out for grabs or hand-deliver the items myself to those particular Soldiers.

Let me know what you guys would like to do and I'm fully in, heart and soul!

Also, I would be more than happy to donate myself what I can, money willing!

2 127
 10-31-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
(10-30-2012, 04:25 PM)Grande Wrote: I just PIF'd an assortment of blades to our new member "HiFromAfganist" who just joined a few days ago.

Maybe we could start a thread for deployed members to post a Wish List and members could send them items directly.

Grande, would you be willing to start that Wish List thread? HiFromAfganist, would you put out the word once the Wish List is posted? This could also encourage military members to join the Nook and grow this happy family. Each interested military member could then post his or her wish and we could respond in much the same way we do for items for trade/sale, followed by a PM to the wisher. This way, we don't duplicate donations. Any other thoughts?

18 242
 10-31-2012, 10:07 AM
User Info
[/quote]

Grande, would you be willing to start that Wish List thread? HiFromAfganist, would you put out the word once the Wish List is posted? This could also encourage military members to join the Nook and grow this happy family. Each interested military member could then post his or her wish and we could respond in much the same way we do for items for trade/sale, followed by a PM to the wisher. This way, we don't duplicate donations. Any other thoughts?
[/quote]

It might just be that wish list has started and this is it!

I like the format. If a wish is posted, a responding member can then "call it" so as to fill that request, unless they wish to remain anonymous. Then the recipiant can post something saying that it's done.

At this point I'd have to direct a request to moderators/administrators for guidance as to the best way to do this (please chime in if you're reading this). They might want to set up a bulletin board of sorts or a semi-permenant thread. I don't know much about how websites work.

2 202
 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
User Info
Sincere kudos to HiFromAnfganist for being willing to get the ball rolling, but let's collectively and respectfully decline his suggestion to contribute money or product himself. Money is tight when you're wearing the uniform, as anyone with that background will attest. Furthermore, HiFromAfghanist would be fulfilling a vital role (dare I say mission-critical?) by his participation on his end, and none of us on our end could do it because it requires boots on the ground. No wonder the world loves and respects American GIs, sometimes more than some Americans do.

Personally, I like the idea of individual soldiers posting their wish list to this thread. Then contributors could mark a post as "filled" to avoid any duplication of effort. On a practical basis, however, the problem may be one of snowballing data. If there are dozens and dozens of posts, it would be understandably easy for contributors to miss reading a note that a given wish list has been "filled." So I am open to any ideas that would streamline the process. However, when the rubber meets the road, count me in.

Mods - I know you are out there. Can you advise on how this could work on The Nook website?

15 316
 10-31-2012, 07:57 PM
User Info
Let me know how to roll with the punches accordingly, Gentleman. I already have a Soldier interested in a straight razor kit!

Make that two Soldiers interested in straights! Not surprisingly both are my roommates, hah!

2 127
 11-01-2012, 05:34 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Perhaps the moderators here could add a "Donations for the Deployed" board here where the troops could post their wish list, member replies, etc.. Matt could direct some guys here. I'm sure there are a few of us who know people deployed and could do the same. I have a son and 2 nephews who have pulled a total of 7 tours over in that s%#& hole. Plus I have 3 young friends that have served too... I AM IN ON THIS !! I'll even take a collection at gigs to buy these guys stuff... That's the least that I can do for what they do..... GOD BLESS THEM !!!

5 1,151