11-02-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
It seems like there is interest in this and it's just a matter of working out the logistics. My daughter and her husband are active duty military and I'm willing to put in the work to make this happen.

I have the following suggestion. It would be nice if we put together a number of "shaving kits" for HiFromAfghanist to distribute in his unit for Xmas. These guys have limited storage space and barely adequate facilities for shaving, so these kits should be simple. Each shaving kit can consist of a:
- DE razor
- Boar brush
- Tub of shaving cream (Soap would require a dish or bowl).
- Some DE blades

The razors and brushes can new or used but in good condition. If the tub of shaving cream is used it should have a significant amount left.

I'm willing to collect donations any of these items during the month of November. I'll assemble them into kits, each one with a DE razor, boar brush, shaving cream and blades. How many kits I end up with will depend on donations. I'll keep an inventory of all donations and kits I assemble, and keep all participants informed. At the beginning of December I'll ship all the kits to HiFromAfghanist and he can distribute them Xmas Day using whatever method he deems fair.

This may need to be approved by the forum adminstrators, so I'll inquire about this.

If anyone wants to discuss this, send me a pm, email me at attorneyricardo@gmail.com, or call me at (786) 514-6901.

Let's make this happen!

48 5,698
 11-02-2012, 05:42 PM
User Info
Hi LegalRazor -

Two pieces of feedback regarding this (which I think is a great idea):
  • Since no mod jumped in despite requests within the thread, I have contacted BullGoose (the main man behind the Nook from inception) requesting mod help. He replied that he is unsure that the Nook site has the technical capabilities to handle the project, but will contact his IT guy and get back to us.
  • May I respectfully suggest rethinking the sending of used items. You and I both know that we have tried items that were of good quality but not good for us (the YMMV thing); however, a newbie may not realize that and thus interpret it as being given cast-aways -- a potential problem best avoided. Additionally, these guys are putting their butts on the line for us, and deserve the best.

I will let you know as soon as I get a reply re the mod situation. Meanwhile feel free to pursue mod involvement, as you may be more successful than I.

16 351
 11-02-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
Hi slackskin:

Thank you for your suggestions. Hopefully you or I will hear from an administrator and get an okay on this.

I agree with you regarding sending only new items, particularly the shave creams. This hobby involves a lot of personal preference. All of us here are okay trading used items, as it gives us a chance to try different things and pass along those which are not to our liking but are otherwise fine. However, the gift recipients may not see it that way. And, as you point out, they deserve new items given their sacrifice.

Let's keep the momentum going.

48 5,698
 11-03-2012, 10:41 AM
User Info
Hey Legal -

Agreed on all counts, and thanks for the response.

As an aside, I just had an idea (not all my ideas make sense after due examination!). One of my daughters and her husband are both pretty heavily into technology and web stuff. So my thinking is that perhaps they could create a web site to handle this project. I am pretty sure that it would be a piece of cake for them. In my view, it would be better to handle this within the Nook environment, but it the powers that be say no -- then here is an alternative plan to consider.

Just an idea. What do you think?

16 351
 11-03-2012, 06:33 PM
User Info
(11-03-2012, 10:41 AM)slackskin Wrote: Hey Legal -

Agreed on all counts, and thanks for the response.

As an aside, I just had an idea (not all my ideas make sense after due examination!). One of my daughters and her husband are both pretty heavily into technology and web stuff. So my thinking is that perhaps they could create a web site to handle this project. I am pretty sure that it would be a piece of cake for them. In my view, it would be better to handle this within the Nook environment, but it the powers that be say no -- then here is an alternative plan to consider.

Just an idea. What do you think?

Craig,

From a personal standpoint of being a Soldier I really appreciate the idea of a standalone website. I am (slightly) hesitant of service members
having requests but feeling that having to go to a forum may put them off, whereas a website dedicated to the goal would be easier to disseminate
to service members. Instead of directing them to "http://shavenook.com/thread-donations-for-the-deployed?page=2&highlight=donations+for+deployed" or
a new thread it would simply be the website. The only issues with a dedicated website are hosting, which does cost money typically.

I would love to spearhead the project as I have forum moderation experience as well as web scripting but unfortunately I don't enough downtime and
I apologize for that. I think it is a great alternative plan if the 'powers that be' say no, excellent suggestion! Hopefully my two cents helps out.

As always, please let me know anything I can do to help.

2 127
 11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
User Info
I think one exception to the "new" might be "new but hand lathered" boars. To break them in. Otherwise they might not understand or have the patience to get them broken it.

The boars I hand out are all "new" but hand lathered to break them in at least to the point of just requiring just a few more lathers to get good.

The only new razors also leaves out vintage Gillettes. Possibly the best value for a noobs razor on the planet. I think education is the key. Between what can be written on the site and Matt being there, I don't think it would be a problem. Of course the razors can't be used hard and put away wet. Only good quality razors- no junk.

32 6,445
 11-04-2012, 04:40 AM
User Info
Hi ShadowsDad:

Your points about barely broken in boars and vintage razors are well taken. So we can modify donation criteria slightly.

We're getting a lot of good suggestions here. Given that it's already Nov. 4, we need to move from discussing concepts to implementing something. I'll post a new separate thread by the end of the day explaining the details of the plan and requesting donations.

48 5,698
 11-04-2012, 05:19 AM
User Info
This is a GREAT idea and I have a way to contribute. I would love to donate some sample vials of aftershave.

Phil and the mods are swamped as it is. With their blessing on this I would say you are on the way already. Importantly, Thelegalrazor has been willing to take the lead on this worthy project. Pick a cutoff day and all donations need to be received by him by that time.

All I need is a quantity and address to send to and you can consider it DONE.

6 323
 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM
User Info
(11-03-2012, 07:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I think one exception to the "new" might be "new but hand lathered" boars. To break them in. Otherwise they might not understand or have the patience to get them broken in. The boars I hand out are all "new" but hand lathered to break them in at least to the point of just requiring just a few more lathers to get good.

Great idea regarding the boars, Brian. I had not thought of it. As usual. you are way ahead of the crowd.

One more thought to throw into the mix. If a vendor ships directly to an APO address or similar, that counts as domestic shipping and would avoid us reboxing and resending. I guess the products we PIF would need to be mailed by the PIFer (did I just invent a new word here?)

All the best, gents. This is gaining traction and benefitting from many ideas.

16 351
 11-04-2012, 12:53 PM
User Info
I have posted a new thread with the details or our donation drive. Thank you to twallis for getting the idea going and to all those of you who have expressed support. I thought that starting a new thread would draw more attention to it and allow us to use it to keep track of the effort.

48 5,698
 06-10-2016, 10:25 AM
User Info
(10-30-2012, 04:31 PM)slackskin Wrote: Grande - a wish list is a great idea.

HI,
I am currently a deployed SSgt in Afghanistan and I stumbled upon this site, a couple of my troops have asked me about shaving with a straight razor so I figured I would search to see if there were any care packages that offer straight razor kits for deployed members. please send me an email if anyone knows of any. mnoble86@yahoo.com

thank you

0 1
 06-25-2016, 12:59 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Can't we just send a package directly to Matt?  I have hardware/software I can send directly to him.  I assume there is a military APO address.  Should be easy peasy...and Phil doesn't need to get involved.

If you are unsure how to ship, any local American Legion would be happy to help.

159 1,315