10-30-2012, 09:51 AM
User Info
At work we recently completed a huge project, and this has freed up some of my creative energy for more important things, like shaving projects. I just finished this brush:
[Image: Blue_Boar.jpg]
This project started 6 years ago, when I received an old, worn-out brush in an eBay lot of vintage razors. The knot was horrible, and I hated the handle. I was into traditional English brushes at the time, and this thing had a goofy, long wooden handle with black water stains where the varnish had cracked. So I threw the brush into a storage box and forgot about it.

A few years later, as part of a buy from a forum buddy, I picked up some boar knots he was practically giving away. When I received them, I hated those things too - short bristles, extremely stiff and scratchy. After a few years I thought, to try one out, I might as well put one into that old handle I hated. Naturally, I hated that whole thing. To try and make it usable, I kept it in the shower and lathered it up occasionally with bath soap.

A few months ago I decided to try face lathering, because if I still hated the brush, the time was ripe to throw the thing away. Surprisingly, it face lathered really well. I tried it again a few days later, and there was no doubt; this brush was a keeper. But the handle was still ugly, water-stained wood.

Recently on this forum I've seen some very non-traditional brush handle finishes. A couple of weekends ago it stuck me, I could just spray paint the handle with some left-over paint I had last used on a bicycle around 20 years ago. I sprayed 5 coats on the wooden part of the handle. The black plastic collar cleaned up nicely with fine-grade fiberglass polish I had around for my canoe.

Now I have a boar brush I really enjoy using, which looks very unusual and cool on the shelf in the shave den.

--Glenn

1 49
 10-30-2012, 09:53 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Looks cool, enjoy!

88 4,233
 10-30-2012, 10:16 AM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
Very nice. I have a boar restore in the works myself. I hope mine comes out as nice as yours.

7 898
 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM
User Info
Glenn, great job and the brush looks fantastic!

75 20,883
 10-30-2012, 10:41 PM
User Info
Deano, I hope yours turns out way better than this. If you have any doubts or questions I might help with, please PM me.

--Glenn

(10-30-2012, 10:16 AM)Deano Wrote: Very nice. I have a boar restore in the works myself. I hope mine comes out as nice as yours.

1 49
 10-30-2012, 10:47 PM
User Info
What a great story, thanks for sharing it. Great looking brush.

129 6,685
 10-31-2012, 01:21 AM
  • jvrck
  • Barrack Heights, Australia
User Info
Congratulations. It looks wonderful. You should be proud of yourself!

0 50
 10-31-2012, 05:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
No telling how many hidden treasures I've thrown away over the years.

Nice brush restore.

173 23,490
 10-31-2012, 06:28 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Very nice job. Looks like a comfortable handle.

52 785