10-30-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
I got my standard size DB six months ago or so. It is a wonderful thing but I don't have anything to compare it against. For those who have more than one scuttle - how does it match up?

6 323
 10-30-2012, 10:39 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-30-2012, 09:58 AM)Captain Capsize Wrote: I got my standard size DB six months ago or so. It is a wonderful thing but I don't have anything to compare it against. For those who have more than one scuttle - how does it match up?

I do not own any scuttles but I've heard Moss scuttles are right up there with DB and also the Estremoz scuttle. There are also the Schwarzweisskeramik scuttles but those can be astronomically priced, especially once shipping is factored in. I think DB offers the best value, you get a top notch scuttle with awesome heat retention for a very fair price.

31 1,510
 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM
User Info
the DB is the best. i have tried and seen a few (SRD, Moss, Georgetown, custom) and the DB is the best of the best.

8 2,718
 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM
User Info
I'm maintaining a vigil since Oct. 22nd for a DB 1.5. I liked the look for the hand thrown pottery and if I didn't need enough help, the You Tube video showing Julie making the scuttles firmly pushed me over the edge.

I was intrigued by the Lady Sea scuttle that Phil spoke so highly of, but as this is a pure luxury purchase for me, I went all out.

3 452
 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM
User Info
It depends on what you mean by competition. There have been some posted "studies" of temperature changes with time in the water in various scuttles, reflecting heat retention, but I'm not sure how much of that I believe. In my own personal experience, the largest, heaviest scuttles (DB, Schwarzweisskeramik) retain heat the best, although nearly all scuttles do it adequately for the length of time of my shaves (the only exception being the Georgetown G4). As far as lathering ability, I would have to say that my large old Becker for some reason does the best, followed by the Moss Anniversary Slate. Just for the beauty of the piece, the Moss and Straight Razor Designs scuttles look the best to me and feel the most artistic in my hands.

184 12,003
 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
you can check out Steve Woodhead. I have one of his scuttles.
Very good quality and comparable in price.

http://stevewoodheadceramics.co.uk/index...-bowl.html

1 265
 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
I would have to say that Dirty Bird is the best imo.

0 5
 11-02-2012, 04:09 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I have a Larger Becker and it is a Good Scuttle.

He has several sizes and designs to choose from.

Robertsfeatsofclay.com

I think that you have to look at what you need or want and how much you want to spend.

1 819
 11-07-2012, 09:30 AM
User Info
To answer the question: Not really!

The Dirty Bird 1.5 scuttle with the web-like ridges is just splendid. The only thing I am sorry about is that I did not buy this one first.

I even purchased a Baby Bird travel scuttle for when I am on the road. It makes traveling a little more bearable.

Michael

24 276
 11-08-2012, 07:14 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, when it comes to scuttles, I have three:

1) Moss
2) Schwarzweisskeramik
3) Dirty Bird 1.5

If you want to talk about pure beauty, you need look no further than the Schwarzweisskeramik. It also keeps the water warm for a very long time. It is large and takes up a lot of room on the counter top.

If you want to talk about pure astethics, and something you can hold in the palm of your hand, you need look no further than the Moss. But make no mistake, this scuttle was made for keeping an already lathered brush warm. I build my lather in a Sara Bonnyman Bowl, then rest the brush in the Moss Scuttle. This is what I use spring, summer, and fall.

Now, when winter really sets in and the morning temps hover the single digit, there is only one scuttle I use, the DB 1.5. The webbed ridges do help build a rich thick lather, it holds a lot of hot water, and it maintains its heat better than any scuttle I have tried. It is heavy and built like a tank.

It all depends on what one is looking for. But if I could only have one, it would be a Dirty Bird 1.5 Scuttle.

173 23,546
 11-10-2012, 03:10 AM
User Info
(10-31-2012, 07:32 PM)Mynorx Wrote: you can check out Steve Woodhead. I have one of his scuttles.
Very good quality and comparable in price.

http://stevewoodheadceramics.co.uk/index...-bowl.html

Seconded Wink

0 87
 12-21-2012, 09:11 AM
User Info
I prefer the two piece design for my scuttles. I like to build the lather while holding the bowl in my palm and the two piece design is perfect for that.

Favorite:
Schwarzweisskeramik Duo - Just a wonderful scuttle.

Aesthetic Favorite:
LadySea two piece scuttle.

Just too big for daily use, but man can it keep lather hot for ages:
Estemoz Scuttle

129 6,685
 12-27-2012, 03:31 AM
User Info
I use this, but since I'm a die hard face lather, I only use as a brush scuttle and to soak my brush in before the shave and between the passes.

It's a 2-piece design, which I prefer, and it's made for a Danish shaving forum and shop called Pro Shave. The name of the scuttle thus is 'The ProShave Scuttle'

It only cost me 250,- which is $45 Smile
It has excellent heat retention and looks very nice IMHO Cool

[Image: vy6umuvu.jpg]

It measures circa 15 cm in width and circa 12 cm in height if I remember correctly.

22 5,064
 12-27-2012, 07:17 AM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
That is a beautiful piece of pottery!

2 334
 12-27-2012, 10:13 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
If the shipping was not so expensive I might order one but I settled for a schwarzweisskeramik one.

27 1,297