10-31-2012, 05:25 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
On my latest misadventure to Atlanta Barber Beauty Supply I picked up a bottle of this product.It is labelled as a compound rather than an aftershave.I suppose this means it is suitable as a hair and body tonic which is a good thing.

At $3.50 for 14oz/414ml it is a bargain price wise.The liquid is a light straw color.It is contained in the usual Lustray plastic bottle with a reducer to control out flow.The scent is very mild,almost faint.But it is rather pleasant.Not too clovey or cinnamony mainly bay as far as I can tell.Not as strong as Royall's Bay.But still very nice with some citrus backnotes.

Now for the bad...longevity. In 5-7 minutes tops it is pretty much gone(95%).Although what is left stays close to the skin and does not project.In other respects...It is not particularly drying but a squirt of glycerin would help it out.As it is it pretty much leaves your face the same moisture level after application as it was before.I have been using it as a hair tonic and body rub as a layering agent with my homemade Bay Spyce aftershave.

I think it is a nice product for the money,certainly not awful.But I think most people wet shaving would find it as a good addition to their home made Bay Rum mixes.Maybe even use it as a base for customization....Hmmm.I may have to drop a bay leaf,some cloves ,allspice berries,cinnamon and a peppercorn or two and let it sit in the cabinet for a month or two shaking occasionally.

I would not go out of the way to get some. But I would use it to round out an order for free shipping or for a gift bag or some such.

0 275
 11-01-2012, 04:27 AM
User Info
I have read of others with the same properties. Nice scent but don't last long so guys use them to blend into a witches brew of their own. Hey, for the price can you go wrong?

6 323
 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
I just had to do an update on this product,my opinion of it has risen quite a bit.

I have been using it as a wake up hair tonic in the mornings...get up,wash my face,wet my hair a bit and pour a palmful of this into my hand and apply to the hair.Then brush.It is nice and refreshing and fades away by the time I finish my coffee.

Definitely worth picking up or adding to an order.
my 2 cents(which changes from time to time.)

0 275
 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM
  • spada4
  • Greensburg, Pa
User Info
If you like the Bay Rum give the Spice a try. I like both Blue Spice and Spice.

2 75
 02-28-2013, 07:06 AM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Spada4,I've got both of them.I like them both I find the Blue Spice to be nice, eventually settling down into a baby powder scent.I use it for group meetings and funerals where an understated scent is appropriate.It seems to last for 7+ hours at a low level with just a little projection.

The regular Spice I find to be a lighter spice scent with some citrus backnotes.Nice.However it has shorter duration than the blue ,just a few hours before it fades away.

I have mixed them and used them as a way to add different scent qualities to various blends of my home made Bay Rum.

Lustray's Coachman is nice also.A bit harsher take on the Clubman scent.I think I have reviews on the Blue Spice and Coachman on this forum.

0 275
 02-28-2013, 08:04 AM
  • spada4
  • Greensburg, Pa
User Info
Urrlord I agree, in fact I am wearing Blue Spice today. I have never tried Coachman but will add a bottle to my next order.

Lustray and Stephens are my two favorite after shave lines.

2 75