10-31-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
Tell me about your super lather combinations; best and worst. What was the scent like afterwards? What about cushion, glide and protective qualities?

I have tried only one thing. I mixed a dab of C.O. Bigelow with some Vanilla Cupcake bodywash (from Bath & Body Works, compliments of the wife) and wanted to see what would happen, hoping that it would yield a nice vanilla aroma with a menthol feel. Unfortunately it didn't turn out as I hoped. I was left with a lather I didn't feel was up for shaving, though maybe a smidge thicker than what I have made in the recent week with a Shea shave brush and Bigelow the aroma was not there, it was also too bubbly. The BBW vanilla body wash was simply too thick for personal tastes with not enough scent to add anything to the Bigelow. Then again, I also used two creams instead of a soap and cream.

2 127
 10-31-2012, 09:06 PM
  • jvrck
  • Barrack Heights, Australia
User Info
The one Super Lather combination that I have used is Proraso Cream and Proraso Soap.

I might try it this weekend as a matter of fact... Cool

0 50
 10-31-2012, 09:51 PM
User Info
I don't think a body wash is going to work for this.

I've done it with D.R. Harris Windsor cream and soap and Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet cream and soap, and it worked very well with both. With each combination, the scent was just about the same as using the cream alone, the cushion was better than using just the soap, and the glide was better than the cream by itself. But I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, because these are high quality products all by themselves.

185 12,010
 10-31-2012, 09:59 PM
User Info
Matt, if you're looking for an out of the box lather there is an easier way than a frankenlather. Just overload your brush and don't fully aerate it. Search the site for "ultralather". Most any soap or cream will make one.

32 6,312
 10-31-2012, 10:11 PM
User Info
(10-31-2012, 09:51 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I don't think a body wash is going to work for this.

I've done it with D.R. Harris Windsor cream and soap and Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet cream and soap, and it worked very well with both. With each combination, the scent was just about the same as using the cream alone, the cushion was better than using just the soap, and the glide was better than the cream by itself. But I'm not sure it's worth the trouble, because these are high quality products all by themselves.

I totally agree, but I was just so eager it was only an experiment. Only other thing I could use would be toothpaste Biggrin

Good point with the products you have tried and their standalone quality!

(10-31-2012, 09:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Matt, if you're looking for an out of the box lather there is an easier way than a frankenlather. Just overload your brush and don't fully aerate it. Search the site for "ultralather". Most any soap or cream will make one.

Will take a look when off shift, Brian. Really appreciate the help!

2 127
 11-01-2012, 07:54 AM
User Info
I have had great results by enhancing hard soaps with just a drop or two of Trumpers Skin Food. Makes the soap pop up in volume and slickness.

15 316
 11-01-2012, 09:29 AM
User Info
My fave Frankenlathers usually involve Kiss My Face shave creams of some sort. Cool Mint is great to mix with a number of products you want to add a faint minty twang to, and KMF will usually enhance almost any lather. Key Lime is another good scent they have for mixing.

CO Bigelow shave cream ( rebranded Proraso ) is great for adding to some soaps that you want a slight menthol kick from.

0 252
 11-01-2012, 09:39 AM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I haven't tried to make one yet but most of the references I've seen involve either a second shave soap or cream, Kiss My Face is apparently a popular choice for this, or adding a few drops of glycerin. I think there might have been a reference to using a glycerin soap, like "Clearly Natural" but I'm not sure.

What do they have set up for you as far as a PX? I'm thinking that if they have something and it doesn't carry much, there might be th possibility of requesting items that are normally carried in other PX's. If so, you might be able to save some shipping costs. They probably won't have much as far as wet shaving supplies but they would probably have after shaves and might have Kiss My Face shave creams.

0 62
 11-01-2012, 10:51 AM
  • Deano
  • Iowa
User Info
I have some vintage Watkins that I just cant get to lather very well. A dab of Bigelo or TOBS: Lemon Lime fixes that problem. The cream, whichever one, is the scent that comes through.

7 898
 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(11-01-2012, 09:29 AM)GeneAut Wrote: My fave Frankenlathers usually involve Kiss My Face shave creams of some sort. Cool Mint is great to mix with a number of products you want to add a faint minty twang to, and KMF will usually enhance almost any lather. Key Lime is another good scent they have for mixing.

CO Bigelow shave cream ( rebranded Proraso ) is great for adding to some soaps that you want a slight menthol kick from.

I found that KMF Mint combined with RazoRock Caprician Lemon made a great smelling and functioning lather. It was kind of like shaving with a mojito on your face. Smile

Edit: Silly Songwind, mimosa is the one with champagne and juice.

10 1,858
 01-23-2013, 01:09 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
Try plain ole Glycerin ... cheaper than Skin Food.

KMF is nice too.

1 819
 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM
User Info
our very own sharpspine shows us how to make an ultra lather in this video here:

40 5,830
 01-23-2013, 02:41 PM
User Info
Just use Proraso Pre Shave cream and a shaving cream, and you get the slide equal to a soap, and the cushion and protection from a good cream Cool

22 5,081
 01-23-2013, 02:47 PM
User Info
(10-31-2012, 09:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Matt, if you're looking for an out of the box lather there is an easier way than a frankenlather. Just overload your brush and don't fully aerate it. Search the site for "ultralather". Most any soap or cream will make one.

+1 on this method. I rarely whip up fluff, I like the stability and protection this method brings. To be honest it's the way I have always done it. I just didn't know other folks did it differently. And it gives an excuse to by that new soap or cream sooner Smile

6 1,224
 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM
User Info
When I was playing around with such things I read about a shredded puck of Williams added to a melted puck of VDH. It results in a lather better than either makes on it's own. Would I do it again? No.

32 6,312
 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I enjoy Superlather, but I also enjoy using superior products by themselves so reserve the mad scientist experiments for soaps and creams I feel fall short by themselves. Trumpers soap can't hold a lather for more than 30 seconds, KMF cream is ok, but not nearly as good as several others, both together make one mighty fine Super Lather though!

127 2,395