11-01-2012, 12:53 AM
User Info
Heres a rather rudimentary question.

When I lather in a bowl and I've gotten the lather I want.

Where should the majority of it be? In the bowl like a nice bowl of whipping cream or 90% in the brush and a bit of "left overs" in the bowl?

I ask because I have the latter.

90% of my lather is in the brush.

Here are the details. I have a Crabtree & Evelyn Best brush in medium size. Nothing special.
I use shaving cream. Either L'Occitane Cade or Penhaligon's OPUS 1870.

I'll remove a lot of water from the brush after soaking it in warm'ish water by holding till the drip stops then a few violent shakes. It'll be damp when it hits the bowl/cream.

I'll mix and swirl till theres drag then literally, literally, add 3 drops. Then mix again till it "explodes". I'll do this till its not exploding anymore and then again add another 3 drops of water. Then mix again.

After this, around 2 minutes, the majority of the lather will be in the brush. As if it were a sponge. There'll be just a bit in the bowl. Its a regular kitchen bowl. about 4.5 inches wide and 2.5 inches high. So not too big nor too small.

Yes I've watched mantic's videos (superb guy!) and others too. It seems like thier bowls have a lot of lather.
So how does one lather?

Like painting a fence? Dip your brush in paint (lather) then apply to face in painting motions till its dry then dip in lather again?
I find I don't need to do that. I do 4 passes (WTG - XTG - XTG again - AGT) and have never needed to resort to the bowl (albeit theres not much in there to begin with). All 4 passes from the brush itself.

I'm not conservative with the cream. I'll easily squeeze out 2 or even 2.5 almonds (hilarious how we measure in almonds) worth of cream.

I'm not sure how hard my water is but its on neither extreme of the spectrum.

I know, so rudimentary but puzzling at the same time.

0 193
 11-01-2012, 01:48 AM
User Info
This is an excellent question that I have yet to ask and I'm very interested to hear responses as I still haven't figured out the technique exactly either.

2 127
 11-01-2012, 01:59 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
I'm not that much of a bowl latherer, but when I do I usually have lather in both. I have enough on the brush for two passes. For a third and touchups I usually need to swirl the brush again in the bowl to get the remaining lather on my brush.
But, as I've said earlier, I don't bowl lather much so it could be that me technique is off.

5 447
 11-01-2012, 03:27 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
While showering my brush choice for the day is warming. After showering I let the brush drip off the excess water, then a gentle shake. I load the brush with the soap choice for the day. I use mainly the tips to load the brush. After the brush is loaded I build my lather in bowl.

I normally have enough lather in the brush for three passes.

1 3,507
 11-01-2012, 04:10 AM
  • gzp
  • Queens, NY
User Info
The simple answer is your method is fine, it's working for you, giving you sufficient lather.
I'm pretty new so I'm trying to figure it out too. I think a big part of it is the type of brush you're using, size, type of hair/bristle all effect how much lather it will hold. I get lather in both the bowl and and the brush. My Omega boar normally has enough in it for whatever passes I may do but there is usually a good amount of lather left in the bowl. I also have a Body Shop synthetic brush. It holds less lather so I sometimes need to go back to the bowl to "freshen" it.
You're getting the lather where you need it and apparently you're getting more than enough.

0 62
 11-01-2012, 09:55 AM
User Info
(11-01-2012, 01:59 AM)DoubleB Wrote: I'm not that much of a bowl latherer, but when I do I usually have lather in both. I have enough on the brush for two passes. For a third and touchups I usually need to swirl the brush again in the bowl to get the remaining lather on my brush.
But, as I've said earlier, I don't bowl lather much so it could be that me technique is off.

This.

Whatever works for you. It really doesn't matter as long as you get a good shave.

9 2,988
 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Try every method for a few weeks, soon enough you'll feel what's right for you. I do mostly soaps and face but when I use cream, I use a scuttle. My choice has nothing to do with anything, it's not right or wrong, I just like it like that Biggrin

88 4,233
 11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
User Info
Your method seems fine. Whatever works for you.
Try different ways to see which you prefer.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 11-01-2012, 08:16 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
YMMV type thing. If it works for you go for it. Just for fun have you ever try face lathering. I started in the bowl. Now I mostly face lather. I enjoy the extra brush to face contact. Just seems to work better for me. I really think I get better shaves from the extra attention...I set my bowl/mug in hot water to rest my brush in between passes. Keeps the lather on my brush nice and warm... Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
User Info
I might have missed it, but what consistency is the lather that you're getting? When I read your OP, I would first think not enough product. But then I see 2-2.5 almonds worth of cream & feel that should be enough. So my next thought is that you need more water. I'm guessing you have hard water which means you will always use more product & water than those with softer water.

However, if your lather on the face is a good consistency then keep at it. We all have different variables so it just comes down to trying different things out until you're happy. Enjoy YOUR shave, not someone else's.

31 7,912
 11-02-2012, 04:47 AM
User Info
Thanks everyone but I didnt complain. I asked how come I'm getting 90% of the lather in the brush as opposed to seeing bowl-fulls of lather from others. I'm questioning the methodology.

SharpShine, after perfecting my water to cream ratio, I'm getting a nice creamy lather. Maybe a bit too thick but I can resolve that with more water or less cream. But generally above average lather quality.

Yes I'm using 2 to 2.5 almonds worth. I'm not sure about water hardness to be frank. So I'm assuming I have hard water and using more cream.

I'm enjoying my shaves but simply baffled at why my brush is sucking/hoarding the cream.

It's my first and only badger brush so nothing to compare it to.

0 193