11-01-2012, 07:23 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
After reading the glowing endorsements from some members on this site, I decided to buy some Unrefined Shea Butter.

It was really thick and sticky. I rubbed it in as best I could, but I suspect there is a better way to do this....

How do you apply USB after shaving?

0 911
 11-01-2012, 07:31 AM
User Info
This is what I do:

-Start with a pinky nail sized piece in your palm
-Smear it into a film with your opposite thumb
-Rub into both palms and subsequently once on your cheeks and once on either side of your neck with both palms
-Rub the remaining USB on your palms onto the back of your hands and elbows
-Spread the bit on your face and neck all over your face until you do not perceive a film any longer

I also like to apply a bit to the lips as a lip balm.

47 1,270
 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM
User Info
Bjorn, have you read through this, yet: http://shavenook.com/thread-unrefined-or...hea-butter
Tom's suggestion is very good. Mine if very similar as i take an almond size of shea butter, emulsify it between my palms, then apply it to my neck, face, head, and back of neck, working it in for 3-4 minutes as a massage; feels great and after 15 minutes or so, i do a quick massage all over and it works brilliantly. You will have to find what works best for you. Good luck and if you have any more questions, just ask or PM me.
Enjoy.

75 20,883
 11-02-2012, 12:33 PM
User Info
Let me be the first to ask - is the point of it if you have dry skin? Or is it a conditioning issue for the skin or perhaps just personal preference?

6 323
 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I don't really think skin condition makes much of a difference honestly. It's a great aftershave treatment for your face. A little goes a long way. I've given out plenty in free samples and still have plenty left. At this rate I'll be 90 before I use up the whole pound. Listen to Tom and Celestino, they won't steer you wrong on the USB. I was skeptical but I'm a huge believer now.

116 3,804
 11-02-2012, 06:13 PM
User Info
(11-02-2012, 12:33 PM)Captain Capsize Wrote: Let me be the first to ask - is the point of it if you have dry skin? Or is it a conditioning issue for the skin or perhaps just personal preference?

* From my long experience with the shea butter, it is possibly the best skin moisturizer/conditioner/rejuvenater that i have ever tried. It really helps with any irritation, be it slight or extreme. However, you would have to try it for a few months to determine if it works for you or not. Cheers.

75 20,883
 11-02-2012, 11:29 PM
User Info
(11-01-2012, 07:31 AM)kentclark Wrote: This is what I do:

-Start with a pinky nail sized piece in your palm
-Smear it into a film with your opposite thumb
-Rub into both palms and subsequently once on your cheeks and once on either side of your neck with both palms
-Rub the remaining USB on your palms onto the back of your hands and elbows
-Spread the bit on your face and neck all over your face until you do not perceive a film any longer

I also like to apply a bit to the lips as a lip balm.

(11-01-2012, 08:08 PM)celestino Wrote: Bjorn, have you read through this, yet: http://shavenook.com/thread-unrefined-or...hea-butter
Tom's suggestion is very good. Mine if very similar as i take an almond size of shea butter, emulsify it between my palms, then apply it to my neck, face, head, and back of neck, working it in for 3-4 minutes as a massage; feels great and after 15 minutes or so, i do a quick massage all over and it works brilliantly. You will have to find what works best for you. Good luck and if you have any more questions, just ask or PM me.
Enjoy.

Exactly as these gentlemen describe. For me, the USB spreads in the hands easier if my hands are already warm such as warming them under running warm water. Rubbing USB between your hands causes a good amount of friction for warming as well.

As Celestino points out, a good 2-3 minute massage of the face with USB will leave your face as soft as baby dodo.

9 1,199
 11-03-2012, 04:10 PM
User Info
(11-02-2012, 12:37 PM)Dave Wrote: I don't really think skin condition makes much of a difference honestly. It's a great aftershave treatment for your face. A little goes a long way. I've given out plenty in free samples and still have plenty left. At this rate I'll be 90 before I use up the whole pound. Listen to Tom and Celestino, they won't steer you wrong on the USB. I was skeptical but I'm a huge believer now.

OK, now I understand it better. So where does using an aftershave come in? Or if you use the USB you can kiss aftershave goodbye? Seems to me either one or the other - or not?

6 323
 11-03-2012, 04:36 PM
User Info
Many of us have have found any other ASB irrelevant.

EDIT: Mis-read...aftershave works fine for me before the Shea butter.

47 1,270
 11-03-2012, 04:46 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I like the scent of an Aftershave so I use it first, let it dry a bit then put the USB on afterwards. I played Disc Golf today quite a bit and shaved this morning and the USB felt great all day long. Even sweating I had zero irritation thanks to the USB.

116 3,804
 11-04-2012, 02:08 PM
User Info
(11-03-2012, 04:46 PM)Dave Wrote: I like the scent of an Aftershave so I use it first, let it dry a bit then put the USB on afterwards. I played Disc Golf today quite a bit and shaved this morning and the USB felt great all day long. Even sweating I had zero irritation thanks to the USB.

+1 on what Dave has said. i would apply the after-shave before the unrefined shea butter. i do this always with Thayers witch hazel. i have never experience irritation when exercising later in the day and i believe it is the result of the shea butter. Good luck if you try it.

75 20,883
 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
(11-03-2012, 04:36 PM)kentclark Wrote: EDIT: Mis-read...aftershave works fine for me before the Shea butter.

(11-03-2012, 04:46 PM)Dave Wrote: I like the scent of an Aftershave so I use it first, let it dry a bit then put the USB on afterwards. I played Disc Golf today quite a bit and shaved this morning and the USB felt great all day long. Even sweating I had zero irritation thanks to the USB.

(11-04-2012, 02:08 PM)celestino Wrote: +1 on what Dave has said. i would apply the after-shave before the unrefined shea butter. i do this always with Thayers witch hazel. i have never experience irritation when exercising later in the day and i believe it is the result of the shea butter. Good luck if you try it.

Yea, what they said.
Nothing like a little Floid Blue or Razo Rock AS before the buttah Cheers

9 1,199
 11-06-2012, 04:36 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
There is a version called Shea Nilotica. It's still the organic, unrefined shea butter but it's in softer form, much easier to spread. No warming necessary prior to application and less messy to use. A tad more expensive but worth it to me.

Again, a public thanks to Celestino! USB is the single most effective item to rapidly cure shaving irritation. I don't mean reduce, I mean an almost instant CURE. Plus, all of us using it on a regular basis will soon look like we're 18 years old again. Smile

6 905
 11-06-2012, 04:42 PM
  • Cobre
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I am glad I found this post, I was wondering about this for a while. I have seen the USB on eBay but did not want to buy any until I knew how to use it.

8 153
 11-06-2012, 04:47 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Cobra I'll make you (or anyone else reading) the same offer I made in the other shea butter thread. I bought a pound of it and filled up a ziploc container. I still have a huge amount of it. If you (or anyone else) wants a sample, pay the shipping on it and I'll gladly send you some.

116 3,804
 11-08-2012, 08:44 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
USB is an amazing skin treatment for whatever your skin needs. If it's irritated USB will get rid of that, if it's dry, USB will take care if it. If it's too oily, even USB will regulate the oil production. It also has anti-bacterial properties, so after the shave it will keep your cuts/nicks, if any free of infection (minor infection is irritated skin). Pretty much any skin problem or condition can be helped with USB. Not just for after shave. Put it on scratches and scuffs, hands, feet, etc. It is basically skin food. I use it as after aftershave. I don't use any alcohol based products on my face, so my liquid aftershave is usually Thayer's Witch Hazel with Aloe. After that dries I will put USB on as described above. If I skip shaving I will wash my face with soap and then after it dries put USB on. Next day shaving is guaranteed to be smooth.

Having said all that, there is another product out there that is probably as good as USB. It is unrefined RAW COLD PRESSED (extra virgin) coconut oil. Raw coconut oil is great for skin as well. Probably as good as USB, so there is a choice. Plus it's good to eat! Make sure the oil is RAW and COLD PRESSED. Once heated many of the nutrients are killed. Coconut oil is also anti-bacterial on the skin. It will also help you heal the irritated skin. Raw cold pressed coconut oil is easy to find in your health food store. It is not very expensive for shaving purposes. It goes on the skin much easier than USB as it's less dense and turns to liquid more readily.

I like both USB and raw coconut oil for aftershave treatment. I've been using USB lately, but before I bought the USB I used coconut oil and had very similar benefits. So, you have a choice. Try both see what you like. It's like boar vs. badger. Can't go wrong with either. Just make sure that whatever oil/butter you buy is raw/unrefined. Also, coconut oil takes fragrances in form of essential oils very well. Just liquify and add a few drops of essential oil of your choice (be careful here as not essential oils are compatible with skin care). I am sure the same can be done with USB, but I have not tried it.

So, there is a choice. The

25 1,705