03-20-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
OK so it's an Ayn Rand book, but I thought the movie was absolutely great. Unfortunately it's only the first part. The 2nd part will be released some time in the fall. I never even heard of the 1st release, but when you realize what the subject is, no wonder the folks who drank the kool-aid didn't tell anyone it had been released.

Netflix has it on both streaming and DVD, and it's worth a watch, but it'll leave you wanting more at the end. We have 5 months or more before the next release.

Anyway, gotta go,

John Galt.

32 6,311
 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM
User Info
big fan of the fountainhead movie, of course that was made in 1949.

4 309
 03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
User Info
I'll look for it as soon as I post this. I know of the book, didn't know it was a movie.

32 6,311
 03-21-2012, 04:52 PM
User Info

I didn't realize I had only rented the first half. Then to find out that the second half had not even been made. Nor did they have the financial backing, or actors to get it done.Angry

I'm glad they got it figured out. All in all, it's pretty scarey.

2 546
 03-21-2012, 06:14 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
O.K. so "Who is John Galt ?" has been scribbled by conservative students across campus walls alongside "FRODO LIVES!"
I've met maybe 3 people, excluding myself who actually read Ayn Rand. My conservative friends like to make some tribal-political connection in the same spirit as progressives referenced Das kapital during the Great Depression.
Anyone remember another Rand fan referenced in a pop culture phrase used in this thread? He was being photographed with Jerry Brown, Willy Brown and a who's who of Democrat and Republican leaders and entertainers.
I was dating this classy black gal I served with in the USCG. She had heard good things about this popular San Francisco minister helping people. Her dad was a socially active Baptist minister. Church was a thread in her social fabric.
So we went and met a lot of nice people. Then we heard the service. 10 minutes into it we looked at each other and without a word FLED. A few years later I'm in college and heard about Jim Jones and the mass suicide.
So, I actually met some of those 'kool-Aid' drinkers and looked into the eye of Saurun. That's why I prefer Frodo. Ol' J.R.R. actually saw trench warfare and watched his generation slaughtered.

2 3,171
 03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
User Info
PV, no one said that it was only a 2 part movie. OK, there are at least 3 parts, I know that much.

KAV, if you watched the movie, what Ellis Wyatt did to HIS oilfields should give you some hint that John Galt isn't just a person, but a concept or a feeling. "Who is John Galt" is just a direct tie in to Atlas Shrugged. They could just as easily write "I am John Galt", but folks might not get the meaning.

I also thought I gave a pretty strong clue as to who John Galt is. It's what the story is 100% about, also Ayn Rands life work, and I don't just mean as a writer; her philosophy if you will. It's also what America was founded on. If we all knew who John Galt was it would be a much better place.

I thought it was so good the first time that I watched it again on the big screen tonight. Yup, I saw more this time than I did last time. It's so obvious what's going on in the movie, that any conservative will immediately see it on the first watch, it may not register, but they'll see it, the 2nd watching they'll be absolutely poitive what they're seeing and they'll be vocal about it if asked. It's continual throughout the movie. I guarantee; non-conservatives absolutely won't see it, just a normal day.

John Galt is spotted in a number of places in the movie, but John Galt is also responsible for Ellis Wyatt putting up the sign on his oil wells at the very last of the movie. John Galt forced him to do that, however John Galt was not a man at that time of the sign, but an idea. Again, it can be seen throughout the movie, all one needs to do is watch and observe- everyone- not just the economic producers, for relationships. So John Galt is both a man, and visible on screen, but not introduced to us as John Galt yet. So far John Galt is just an idea. What is the idea? It's mentioned a number of times and neither mention is the same, but they have the same theme.

Look for parasites and human interaction, and look for the economic producers to understand what's going on. Huge hint: 90% of the actors are parasites. Now who are they parasitizing? Who mentions, "Who is John Galt?", and who is mysteriously disappearing?

The movie isn't a Titanic movie, but it could accurately be compared to rats trying to get scraps from a table while the Titanic sinks.

32 6,311
 03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
This is all getting way too political for me.

2 11,211
 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM
User Info
Not Political at all Freddy. Philosophical. Not once has politics been mentioned. It has to do with slavery vs free men. I know no one here is in favor of slavery. Or are they?

32 6,311
 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
The line between philosophy and politics is almost non-existent these days. Have at it, guys. Many many years ago I read The Fountainhead. I really don't remember much about it anymore but I do remember reading it as a novel, not as someone's philosophy or someone else's politics, just a novel to read for pleasure. Does anyone do that anymore?

2 11,211
 03-22-2012, 08:20 PM
User Info
Fred, I suppose the reason the movie touched me so much was my recent brush with the feds and their regulations as far as making something as innocent as Bay Rum. The feds are much worse than the street corner drug dealers we read so much of. Buy from the street thug drug dealers and it's over until the next fix. But not for the feds.

I buy the rum legally and pay the tax on it, and at that point you'd think it would be over. But no, the formula needs to meet with their approval of who knows what for criteria. I don't want my drinking tax money back for the rum that can no longer be consumed, I just want them out of my business, but try to find anyone at ATF to talk to. They'll burn your house and shoot everyone inside first, but find anyone who can help you through the morass of regulations? Can't find that person.

I wound up saying, "Who is John Galt?", but didn't know it at the time. I decided to just make it for myself and PIF it to whoever I decided to send some to and flip the bird to the feds. Now it seems I need to find a way around their deliberately created morass of regs to find a way to make the stuff for the folks who want it. I could tell you how good it is, but I won't. The bottom line is that my tax dollars are preventing me from making a product that folks want. This is done for absolutely no reason other than to perpetuate the bureaucracy. It certainly stifles business, and it's not any party- it's all parties and no party, it's the bureacracy- unelected folks doing it to me and us. Basically, they have turned me into their slave (I pay them, they use force on their part, to screw me over) if I choose to give in. I prefer to work around if I can, if not well, "John Galt". I drop out and take care of me and mine, and the heck with everyone else.

If it's too difficult to reformulate it to their satisfaction I really will ask, "Who is John Galt?" and chuck it in and let the product die a still birth. I'll have mine and so will friends but if it can't be sold I can only PIF out so many from the proceeds of another business. Obviously none of this is free. Hey, Maybe I can get a stimulus and get the entire US to pay for "Free" bay rum for everyone on the forum. Turn the entire US into slaves to pay for our stuff. Kinda sorta like the main characters in the movie being turned into slaves for the masses.

I sure hope that makes sense. Unless someone has gone through it it probably doesn't.

Hey, it's late, I need some sleep.

32 6,311
 03-22-2012, 09:26 PM
User Info
never read any Ayn Rand myself...hope to some day, I hear her books are DRYYYYYYYYYYYY.

40 5,830
 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM
User Info
Andy, the movie isn't dry, and I guarantee you'll get it.

Wait until autumn and you'll be able to watch pt1 &2 and not do what we're doing...waiting.

32 6,311
 03-22-2012, 11:04 PM
User Info
(03-22-2012, 09:33 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Andy, the movie isn't dry, and I guarantee you'll get it.

Wait until autumn and you'll be able to watch pt1 &2 and not do what we're doing...waiting.

I guess I probably will wait to see the first one until the second one is out in theaters so I can knock them both out in a relatively short period of time.

40 5,830
 03-23-2012, 10:19 AM
User Info
I really don't think you'll ever see it in a theatre. Hollywood hates the material presented. The owner of the rights to the book couldn't find anyone in hellywood who would touch it. He had to make it with his own money.

I was surprised it had been released and there was such silence about it. I never even read or heard a review.

32 6,311
 03-24-2012, 06:33 AM
User Info
@ShadowsDad, you would appreciate Joel Salatin's Everything I Want to Do is Illegal. He writes about how the Feds and state agents make it impossible for him to do the simplest things on his own farm. You really get a sense of how the game is rigged to favor the megacorporations at the expense of the entrepreneur, all the while the public is told it's "for our own protection".

You should be able to find the original essay via google, and if you're a foodie you might like his google talk:

4 112
 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I might mention in passing HOLLYWOOD aka the american film industry ranks alongside the arms industry, automobile manufacture and it's associated infrastructure as the 3 top sources of national income and cultural influence. I would reference NAKED HOLLYWOOD money and power in the movies today by Nicolas Kent. Hollywood doesn't meet at La Scala's or Barbra Striesand's beach estate to vet scripts for some liberal PC litmus test either. Hollywood runs on MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.
And, while the EPA and other government agencies have made some horrendous individual decisions and seemingly onerous regulations nobody with half a brain or conscious would no more gut them than the F.B.I. USMC or the FAA which are equally culpable of moral and legal faults. If you are having problems marketing your bay rhum contact Bonnydune Farm in Santa Cruz California- spiritual power vortex and residual econiche of all that is hippie liberal californicating woo woo. They seem to be doing well.

2 3,171
 04-02-2012, 10:07 PM
User Info
(03-26-2012, 10:11 PM)kav2 Wrote: I might mention in passing HOLLYWOOD aka the american film industry ranks alongside the arms industry, automobile manufacture and it's associated infrastructure as the 3 top sources of national income and cultural influence. I would reference NAKED HOLLYWOOD money and power in the movies today by Nicolas Kent. Hollywood doesn't meet at La Scala's or Barbra Striesand's beach estate to vet scripts for some liberal PC litmus test either. Hollywood runs on MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.

I gotta agree with you there. The same industry that gave us Rosie O'Donnell and Michael Moore also gave us Charlton Heston and John Wayne. There are people of all viewpoints there, just as in most other industries. Hollywood is about making profitable movies, TV shows and music. If it were not, it would have gone out of business and disappeared a long time ago.

Quote:If you are having problems marketing your bay rhum contact Bonnydune Farm in Santa Cruz California- spiritual power vortex and residual econiche of all that is hippie liberal californicating woo woo. They seem to be doing well.

Santa Cruz isn't all stereotypical stoned out vegetarian hippies with tie dye Che Guevara shirts. There are a lot of folks in the Santa Cruz mountains who feel just like ShadowsDad - they just want to do their thing without having to deal with a bunch of nonsense. Heck, that is why a lot of them moved up into the hills in the first place.

ShadowsDad, I think the suggestion to contact an artisan perfumer might be a good one. They likely have traveled down the same path you are navigating now, and may be able to provide advice or direct you to some good resources. There is Bonny Doon Farms, Em's Place, and also Natural Perfumer's Guild and Independent Perfumer's Guild. I would think those last two would be particularly helpful. If you have a local city or county Chamber of Commerce, they might also be able to help. After all, your success is in their best interest.

0 303
 04-03-2012, 06:49 AM
User Info
I've already checked locally. Nothing. They can help me start a business, but they can't help with the red tape. And the red tape will be every year. Right now I'm going around it with a more expensive alcohol. I really wanted to stay with ethanol since I know the body can tolerate it.

I'll check with the others you mentioned though.

BTW Tbone, you got it. I just want to be left alone by the Feds. I'll pay their protection $ so that they don't kill my wife and I and bulldoze my home. But why can't they just leave me the hell alone after I pay the yearly protection fee. Even the mafia leaves one alone after paying.

32 6,311
 04-04-2012, 07:00 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I didn't have a clue that this had been released either. I read it a while back and kind of got lost with Ayn Rand. I've wanted to get back to reading her and the movies add the extra spice.
Rush is one of my favorite bands and Ayn Rand was an early influence on their lyrics. Neil Peart was a big fan of hers.

Thanks for the heads up! Netflix will get some usage tonight.

6 905
 04-04-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
They also have "The Fountainhead". It's old enough to have Gary Cooper starring in it. I have a copy sitting here but I have yet to watch it.

32 6,311