03-20-2012, 08:46 PM
User Info
I think it is safe to say if we are members here (or any speciality forum of choice) we have a love for where we have joined. Here it is shaving. Since rediscovering the true joys of DE shaving last year, I have become amazed at what I (and we by extraction) have learned.

Why do I bring this up? Well I have recently acquired a wonderful Merkur Futur (my AD is actually winding down thank god). Through learning this what I feel can be aggressive razor I have been getting some irritation in various areas of my face. During the dark days for me, when I strayed away from DE shaving, I would just stop shaving for a few days. I'd deal with having growing stubble, and feeling less that well groomed. Well that moment hit me again today. The irritation from the Futur was just too much to deal with so I decided to skip a day. Of course that would throw my evening ritual off. So I changed my mind and decided to reach for my Feather AS.

What amazed me tonight was that even though these two razors are totally different, and require a decidely different shaving angle, somehow I still managed to pull off a shave somewhere between a DFS and a BBS with a WTG and a XTG with a touchup of ATG in a couple areas.

So hats off to everyone who everyone who uses multiple razors each with various specific techniques you must use to pull off a great shave. Cheers to everyone who has learned the contours of their own skin and how to deal with it. Kudos to each of us.

Isn't this so much better and more enjoyable than just grinding it out every day running some junk electric over your face? Or worse some 12 bladed monster with canned goo?

What recently has made you proud to be a true wet shaver again?

129 6,685
 03-21-2012, 05:42 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have always been a wet shaver. Never any multi-blade, electric, or canned cream/gel.

What makes me proud? Seeing so many young people jumping on board realizing the old guys were right.

173 23,555
 03-21-2012, 11:10 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(03-21-2012, 05:42 AM)Johnny Wrote: I have always been a wet shaver. Never any multi-blade, electric, or canned cream/gel.

What makes me proud? Seeing so many young people jumping on board realizing the old guys were right.

Ah, Johnny, how right you are. Wink

2 11,211
 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I will be celebrating my second year as a wet shaver next month. I never cared for shaving with a multi-blade razor. Since discovering wet shaving it is joy to shave each morning. What makes me proud is that I belong to a community of wet shavers that discovered the same joy.

1 3,507
 03-22-2012, 06:15 AM
User Info
(03-21-2012, 05:42 AM)Johnny Wrote: I have always been a wet shaver. Never any multi-blade, electric, or canned cream/gel.

When I first observed my dad shaving in the '80s, the most elegant piece of hardware he had was the ceramic caddy for his can of Barbasol. It had a little ring on the side for hanging his AtraII. I learned on a Sensor Excel. I never tried electric, but it seemed terrible to me.

I've really enjoyed learning authentic shaving, even though it wasn't from my dad. For Christmas I put together a pretty fine wetshaving kit for him and it has been gratifying to see him use and enjoy it. He immediately discarded his cartridge and canned foam. The old guys are almost always right, once they remember what it was they were right aboutBiggrin

3 195
 03-22-2012, 06:55 AM
User Info
I can't agree more Wingdo, but lets not forget the SE razors, and while I don't inhale, the str8s as well.

Somewhat along the lines of your post, as I was shaving this morning I was considering asking the wife for MdC soap for the next special gift giving day (Fathers Day?), and wondering how many non-blade shavers would ask for soap for a gift?

32 6,311
 03-22-2012, 07:29 AM
User Info
In a time of much social change, there are several factors that have helped create the phenomenon of online communities that coalesce around something as esoteric as wet shaving.

We live in a market driven culture that on the one hand spends greatly to encourage us to buy marginally inferior products, trying to convince us that they are "new and improved" while at the same time consolidates those products so that we have fewer actual choices.

We are steeped in tradition, culture and personal history. For those of us who grew up when men shaved every day before going to work or social events a powerful message of what it meant to be a competent man meant. Real men were clean shaven, well groomed and had a whiff of aftershave associated with them.

I"ll add a third factor, the desire to build a better mousetrap. If we are inclined to find a 'better way', to take more control over our lives, to not be snookered by people trying to foist an inferior product on us - then we are likely to look at different ways of doing things.

At the same time the maturation of the www has allowed us unimaginable access to learn and coalesce around folks with similar interests. In my case a passive interest in wet shaving easily encounters Mantic59's videos which show me that wet shaving is not only possible, but that it can be fun. Google provides me access to wet shaving forums where I find people who are willing to share their experience, answer questions and offer advice - all in the comfort of my home.

So if present day marketing efforts doesn't offer good solutions to meet our cultural expectations, I am free to try different choices. If canned goo replaced real shave cream and soap, I can now search for better alternatives. Disposable razors and later cartridge systems replaced DE's in the local B&M stores, I can now buy new DE's or vintage razors.

If you can't change the system that produces the absurd Pro-Glide, we can easily simply step around it.

3 452
 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM
User Info
Its more about the journey than the destination

4 158
 03-24-2012, 05:14 AM
  • PDB
User Info
I find there are so many things to like about a DE shave. It is an experience, not just something you do. I find it really helps me get my day off to a good start, there is something very rewarding in the ritual of it. I pick whatever razor, soap, brush "feel" right for the day. I am in control of it all for a little while. I get to control the pace and find I keep taking a little longer than I used to. I great shave can give me a confidence boost, knowing I will have the best shave out of all the people I deal with.

0 31
 06-01-2013, 06:14 AM
User Info
Chuck Well Doug, thanks for your post. I am new to this site but have started DE shaving 6 months ago. I also have spent a good 3 months working up to a SR shave. I have not been able to get even close to my DE (Gillette Adjustable circa 1960) in terms of comfort of shave and quality of shave. In any case, good to see your words here.
CB
(03-20-2012, 08:46 PM)wingdo Wrote: I think it is safe to say if we are members here (or any speciality forum of choice) we have a love for where we have joined. Here it is shaving. Since rediscovering the true joys of DE shaving last year, I have become amazed at what I (and we by extraction) have learned.

Why do I bring this up? Well I have recently acquired a wonderful Merkur Futur (my AD is actually winding down thank god). Through learning this what I feel can be aggressive razor I have been getting some irritation in various areas of my face. During the dark days for me, when I strayed away from DE shaving, I would just stop shaving for a few days. I'd deal with having growing stubble, and feeling less that well groomed. Well that moment hit me again today. The irritation from the Futur was just too much to deal with so I decided to skip a day. Of course that would throw my evening ritual off. So I changed my mind and decided to reach for my Feather AS.

What amazed me tonight was that even though these two razors are totally different, and require a decidely different shaving angle, somehow I still managed to pull off a shave somewhere between a DFS and a BBS with a WTG and a XTG with a touchup of ATG in a couple areas.

So hats off to everyone who everyone who uses multiple razors each with various specific techniques you must use to pull off a great shave. Cheers to everyone who has learned the contours of their own skin and how to deal with it. Kudos to each of us.

Isn't this so much better and more enjoyable than just grinding it out every day running some junk electric over your face? Or worse some 12 bladed monster with canned goo?

What recently has made you proud to be a true wet shaver again?

0 1
 06-01-2013, 06:40 AM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
I have been DE shaving for over a year and a half. I believe it is the smallest change I have made in my daily life, which has produced the greatest positive effect. It is something quite difficult to explain to the non-believers, who think I am crazy when I explain to them my morning ritual and when they see my collection of shaving accoutrements.

My skin feels better, it is more environment friendly without any cans of goo or plastic razor blades to dispose of, and it is overall more pleasing.

Anyways, Happy Shaving to all.

Sam

0 108
 06-01-2013, 06:51 AM
  • Dino
  • St Helens, England
User Info
Well said I use a variety of razors, (I have about 20 in total, R-41,Fatboy, and most things in between)
so yeah I do need different angles but Id never really given it too much tought untill you mentioned it.
Although Im using my USA 47 'crat' most of the time 90%+!!! and only changing to use some of the gear I have lol.
I also feel my RAD is under control, (Just a couple of razors I actually want to try now, and a couple that maybe just a pipe dream due to price, ie Darwin)

Ive been wet shaving now for about 3 years and I love it, Skin is better and I look forward to shaving.

1 68
 06-01-2013, 08:08 AM
User Info
Great post, Doug, and I like your take on today's marketing, Redrako. Previously, I thought I wanted to find "the ultimate" combination for me and am now enjoying getting great shaves from a variety of gear.

47 1,270
 06-01-2013, 10:11 AM
User Info
i guess i have quickly found my ultimate razor in my Weber DLC with the Vintage Wilkinson Swords/Perma Sharp Supers/ Super Iridiums! i think my WSP 2-band knots are, possibly, my favourite knots in my brushes, but i do enjoy my Frank Shaving synthetics and the M&F new Finest i have, but the experimenting continues with handles! There are so many beautiful ones to try and i only wish i could interchange the knots!
i am quite settled on Mystic Water and Mike's soaps, also, and only use Unrefined Shea Butter/pure lanolin for post shave.
Ahhh, the joys of wet shaving!Aaaaa

75 20,884