11-02-2012, 11:09 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I started working when I was 15 and have had a number of jobs between then and now. Some of them I liked and some of them I hated. I would say my three least favorite jobs were:

1) Eli's Cheesecake -a high school job that required me to wash muffin tins among other things. Those mini muffins are a royal PITA when you can barely fit a finger in the hole. The one thing that really grossed me out was they would dust the cheesecakes in the display since they were sometimes there for awhile. I felt sorry for the poor sods who bought them.

2) Substitute Teaching: I moved to San Diego after graduate school without a real job. I worked as a substitute for a year and really hated those days when I was stuck with Kindergarten. The furniture was way too small, I did not know any of the kids names and those two half day sessions felt like two full day sessions easily. Not only did I leave the school with a ringing headache but my knees and back ached as well.

3) Waiter -While an undergraduate I worked as a waiter and spilled red wine all over the college president. I received high fives as well as the unfortunate nickname of "Spill". Biggrin

What were your least favorite jobs?

45 16,299
 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM
User Info
I was Chuck E. Cheese once, only ONCE.

31 7,912
 11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
A few years back before going back to school I got a job as "kitchen staff" for a cafeteria in a big Boeing office building. It wasn't so bad in the kitchen, just lots of prep and dishwashing. The bad part was when we had to make deliveries to meetings, things like doughnuts and coffee or sandwiches. We always arrived at the schedualed time, but every time the big wigs always acted like we were interrupting the most important of discussions and were wasting their time. I couldn't stand the dirty looks we would constantly get when they should have been fully expecting. That, was the worst experience so far. Everything else has been pretty easy-going.

35 1,732
 11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(11-02-2012, 11:13 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I was Chuck E. Cheese once, only ONCE.

hehe...Once is once too many. Was it on a 100 degree day as well?

45 16,299
 11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
1) Pilot - I worked for the Dallas Zoo in the hoofed animal section. I took manure and piled it here and there. Pilot.Smile

2) Sacker - I was a sacker in a Safeway Grocery Store during high school. I will never sack groceries again.

3) Warehouse worker - I worked for a very short time for a company in Dallas that made sewing thread and spools. I ran the forklift in to a large shelf and knocked over 100,000 spools of thread all over the place. After I cleaned up the mess, I quit.

173 23,501
 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(11-02-2012, 11:18 AM)Johnny Wrote: 1) Pilot - I worked for the Dallas Zoo in the hoofed animal section. I took manure and piled it here and there. Pilot.Smile

2) Sacker - I was a sacker in a Safeway Grocery Store during high school. I will never sack groceries again.

3) Warehouse worker - I worked for a very short time for a company in Dallas that made sewing thread and spools. I ran the forklift in to a large shelf and knocked over 100,000 spools of thread all over the place. After I cleaned up the mess, I quit.

Did you then get your PhD (Pile it higher and deeper)? Biggrin

45 16,299
 11-02-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
I remember thinking "sand-bagging" was not a very accurate term after I did that kind of work for a summer.

47 1,270
 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I worked in Television for many years (15 plus). It got to the point where it was ridiculous towards the end. 18 hour shifts, no lunch breaks or breaks at all.

I worked as a bagger at a Grocery store for a number of years in my teens till I left for the glamorous world of Radio. Not a great job

I worked for the female equivalent of Atilla the Hun at my last job. Screaming and cursing were her two favorite things.

I kind of dig what I'm doing now. I hope I can keep it till I'm 65 or so.

116 3,804
 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I worked on a Drilling Rig right out of high school, i saw toes and fingers get cut off but luckily i escaped with all my body parts.

115 1,692
 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
User Info
I work at Walmart.

2 362
 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
(11-02-2012, 12:06 PM)sethleupagus Wrote: I work at Walmart.
You definatly win the prize!!

115 1,692
 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Crap Job #1
My first job was bagging groceries at a local grocery store called Food City, I started working there in June and most of the summer was 95-105 degree days with heavy humidity. During slow periods I had to front product in the freezer chests, so I'd spend 10-15 minutes with my head in a sub-zero freezer and then go outside into 100 degree 100% humidity delivering groceries to vehicles..rinse and repeat a dozen times a day, sometimes I literally had sweat frozen in my hair..I stayed sick that entire summer.

Crap Job #2 and the gold medal winner
Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburger's...I worked there for almost 3½ years through high school, it was greasy, smelly and pure hell. It was also a lesson on just how pathetic and low some consumers can stoop and the lengths they will go for a burger. To this day I still tell my friends and family every single kid should have to work 1 week in fast food before they can graduate high school so everyone can experience the threshold of hell, learn a little humility and possibly better manners in the future when dealing with fast food employees.

31 1,510
 11-02-2012, 12:27 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Arcadies you and I love close to one another. My first job was at Food City as a bag boy as well. What a horrid company

116 3,804
 11-02-2012, 12:32 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(11-02-2012, 12:27 PM)Dave Wrote: What a horrid company

Yes indeed, ironically though they're one of the few places in town now that carry fairly decent shaving stuff..RSC creams, VDH sets and the excellent Barbasol ASB..they have William's too but I said decent stuff. Biggrin

31 1,510
 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
My entire career was in Food Service Management. While in high schools I was bagger and stocked shelves.

The worst job I had was working at Big Boys, I was both the night manger and cook. Long hours everyday with only one day off a week.

1 3,507
 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
Tree & plant nursery worker. It wasn't actually that bad, but it was hard labor.

Pizza delivery wasn't much fun either.

9 2,988
 11-02-2012, 01:01 PM
User Info
Mainly I worked construction during the summers in high school and college. Carrying bundles of shingles up the ladder - whew! Digging ditches, carrying 4x8 sheetrock around, wheelbarrowing cement, carrying cinder blocks one in each hand to the bricklayers. All this as a kid who weighed 165 pounds.

Oh, holding the sheetrock with the top of my head against the ceiling and swinging a hammer underhanded and sideways to get the sheet rock nail started into the joist, only to miss the joist. Angry Raw sewage from a freshly flushed toilet running down the ditch I was in. Running to grab my hardhat out of my 1959 Chevy truck when OSHA showed up.

Hauling cast iron pipe up a new elevator shaft with rope three pipes at a time and r-e-a-c-h-i-n-g out over the shaft to pull them in and unload. Once as the three pipes reached the third floor and I started to reach for them, one of the pipes slid out of the rope and plunged three stories to the bottom. As the one slid out, the other two followed it. In an instant three very long cast iron pipes fell like daggers thirty feet to the bottom where men would use the shaft as a "short cut" as they went from one part of the building to another. Missed 'em all.

So why did I do this year after year? Because it paid - I am NOT making this up - $2.50 per hour and my buddies were only making $2.00 per hour at McDonalds and Long John Silvers. Plus I am an outside kind of guy so a better fit.

Plus I learned a good deal more than my buddies ever did. Like when to shut up. One guy never showed for work one morning so our crew went to pick him up because he had been out drinking. He was hung over big time and the guys were giving him a bad time. I was laughing along with the guys when suddenly the drunk buried his fist into my stomach. He dropped me like a stone.

6 323
 11-02-2012, 03:07 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
My last two years of teaching when I had the principal from h*ll. It was a sad way to retire after 35+ years in the profession. The only thing that helped me is that she was pretty much disliked or out and out hated by her entire staff so at least I knew it wasn't just me.

2 11,211
 11-02-2012, 06:42 PM
User Info
* At age 16, cleaning the two very large heating vats' coils in 90-100 degree weather in a very poorly-ventilated top floor of a canning factory in my home town. Thank goodness i only did that for one summer; my mother got me the job. Hee hee.

* Picking field tomatoes during the summer with 90-110 degree weather when i was younger for a few years. At least i was outside.

All of my other jobs were pretty good, so i have been extremely fortunate.

75 20,883
 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
User Info
(11-02-2012, 11:15 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(11-02-2012, 11:13 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I was Chuck E. Cheese once, only ONCE.

hehe...Once is once too many. Was it on a 100 degree day as well?

I worked there for a year. My main job was in the game room so that part wasn't bad. However when they were short handed once for a birthday party I go recruited to be Chuck E. I told my manager that he'd have a lawsuit on his hands if he put me in there again because I would hurt a kid. They were MEAN!

31 7,912