11-02-2012, 12:08 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
So, I have been on a new SAD kick, but have not pulled the trigger on anything yet. I have the following RR soaps in my cart at IB:
  • R160
  • Mudder Focker
  • Cumba Cheech
  • Zi' Peppino Green Tobacco

Can I get some opinions about these? They all seem really nice, but I already have enough soaps, obviously, otherwise why would I be writing this? I have Cella, which I enjoy a lot (hence the R160 choice), Palmolive stick in a bowl (I love it), Arko stick in a bowl (like it, but have been avoiding it lately for some reason), 3P, which is also a classic Italian style veggie soap (sweet almond scent - can you tell I like Italian soaps?), Velobra stick in a bowl (don't care for the scent, but it is the slickest soap I own) and GFT Rose, which I like, but also do not reach for that much. Too much rose scent. I also have Savon du Midi Orient, which is great soap, but the scent has gone strange on it, but not in a horrible way, so I use it with some frequency. Mostly I use Cella, 3P and Palmolive. So, based on that what can you, the people who have experience with the mentioned RR soaps, tell me about my choices? I like earthy scents, I obviously like the classic Italian Almond scent. I like the way Palmolive smells, but it's a bit too strong, though it does dissipate quickly and that's good for me. Arko is not a great smell to me, but after airing out it is not totally horrible either, just not something I choose often any more. I did go through a phase of using Arko a lot, but now it seems a bit too drying for me and the scent has turned against me a little. I still use and recommend it, but much less now. So, if anyone out there wishes to comment or offer to provide me with smaller quantities of said soaps I would be grateful.

25 1,705
 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Mudder Focker along with XXX are two of the very best soaps I've ever tried. Fantastic scent and even better performance than XXX. I hope that Mudder Focker is kept around. R160 is good as well and is a good substitute for P160 in my mind. The La Famiglia soaps are good as well but P160 and Mudder Focker outperform them easily in my book. I'd recommend dropping the Zi Peppino and adding Carribean Coconut. It's a light Coconut scent that performs as well as Trumpers and TOBS in my mind.

116 3,804
 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Mudder Focker is definitely a great soap. I find the veggie soaps to be so-so, and haven't tried the 160, but it has all the intents I like in a soap. I also really love the S. Maria.

35 1,732
 11-02-2012, 12:30 PM
User Info
I have the Classic and it is a real keeper - terrific performer.

6 323
 11-02-2012, 12:47 PM
User Info
You must try something in the lavender range! It doesnt sound like you have any soaps like it. Either Chianti Lavender or King Louis.
Do it!

4 253
 11-02-2012, 01:12 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
Pretty much the entire Officina Artigiana tallow based line are Cella with different scents other than almond/marzipan. I've only tried the Chianti Lavender, which is really nice. The La Famiglia line is awesome too, very good lather and skin conditioning. My favorite is Don Marco..smells like a freshly sliced orange.

31 1,510
 11-02-2012, 04:17 PM
User Info
The LaFam soaps are my best performers. For me they easily outperform XXX, the LOA ones (different scented Cella), Cella, & many others. The scents are nice & not overpowering. The Zi' Peppino is my favorite of these with Cumba Cheech right behind. The Nonno Michelino is a nice sandalwood albeit pretty subdued. My skin really likes coconut oil which is why I think the LaFam series works so well for me.

The other must have out of this lineup IMHO is the S.Maria cream. It's the best eucalyptus smell I've come across.

The Mudder Focker is starting to climb up my wish list with all the great reviews so if I was ordering anything from IB, then I'd add this one in.

I was not a fan of the Karite soaps, the King Lpuis in particular. It was not enjoyable to shave with something that smelled like Play-Doh. However, no one else got that impression so I guess I have a screwy sniffer.

One things for sure, you won't be disappointed!

31 7,914
 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(11-02-2012, 04:17 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: The LaFam soaps are my best performers. For me they easily outperform XXX, the LOA ones (different scented Cella), Cella, & many others. The scents are nice & not overpowering. The Zi' Peppino is my favorite of these with Cumba Cheech right behind. The Nonno Michelino is a nice sandalwood albeit pretty subdued. My skin really likes coconut oil which is why I think the LaFam series works so well for me.

The other must have out of this lineup IMHO is the S.Maria cream. It's the best eucalyptus smell I've come across.

The Mudder Focker is starting to climb up my wish list with all the great reviews so if I was ordering anything from IB, then I'd add this one in.

I was not a fan of the Karite soaps, the King Lpuis in particular. It was not enjoyable to shave with something that smelled like Play-Doh. However, no one else got that impression so I guess I have a screwy sniffer.

One things for sure, you won't be disappointed!

I echo everything in this statement.

I personally would ditch the R-160 for a tub of Fresco, and ditch the Zi Peppino for a tub of Anything in the Artisan series. I would personally go for the Chianti Lavender or maybe the Coconut.

13 599
 11-02-2012, 05:21 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(11-02-2012, 04:21 PM)VT_Hokie Wrote: I would personally go for the Chianti Lavender or maybe the Coconut.

+1 on the Chianti Lavender.

47 1,378
 11-02-2012, 05:59 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The Mudder Focker is a must in my opinion. I also enjoy the Chumba Cheech a lot. If you like lemon scented soaps their Caprician Lemon is my favorite lemon soap. I agree with Sharpspine on the S. Maria. It's not a soap it's a very dense and slick cream but it's a crazy good performer and the scent is amazing.

45 3,955
 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
You guys are killing me with this Mudder Focker thumping. I'm just gonna have to break down and order some.

13 599
 11-02-2012, 06:27 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I think Joe's Tagline for Mudder Focker should be
Mudder Focker
Order it for the name, re-order it for the performance.

116 3,804
 11-02-2012, 06:29 PM
User Info
I love the mudder focker. Great soap awesome smell. R160 is better than cella imo but is not quite up to p160.

129 6,685
 11-02-2012, 06:35 PM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
(11-02-2012, 06:29 PM)wingdo Wrote: I love the mudder focker. Great soap awesome smell. R160 is better than cella imo but is not quite up to p160.

Scent aside, how does the R160 compare to the Artisan series?

13 599
 11-02-2012, 07:45 PM
User Info
R160 is a great soap, once I finally run out of P.160 it will be my go to Italian croap. R160 lathers easily and has great skin properties. One of Joe's best.

129 6,685
 11-02-2012, 11:16 PM
User Info
S. Maria or bust.

9 1,199
 11-02-2012, 11:28 PM
User Info
Argh!!! When Joe finally gets to put that IB Semogue up for sale, I'm gonna be like Augustus Gloop at the Chocolate River with all these soaps I must have!!!

4 253
 11-03-2012, 07:33 AM
User Info
Zi Peppino is my favorite RR soap out of the half dozen or so I've tried. I suggest you get the ASB with it as well. My tub of Mudder showed up this week but I haven't used it yet.

15 762