11-03-2012, 01:37 AM
User Info
Primarily bowl lather but learning to face lather.

Also lather with both shaving soaps (TF&H soap for now) and other creams like Penhaligon's Opus 1870.

I have a chubby 3 Butterscotch in Manchurian on order but want another one for rotation.

Don't know how to decide between the ch1 and ch2.

Could you guys elaborate on the functionality, cons and limitations of Ch1 and ch2.

Thanks

0 193
 11-03-2012, 05:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Just my opinion from the testing I have done. If you bowl lather, get the Chubby 2, if you face lather only, get the Chubby 1.

173 23,531
 11-03-2012, 05:08 AM
User Info
If it were me and since you already have a Chubby enroute, then I would look at something like the M7 handle.

31 7,912
 11-03-2012, 07:52 AM
User Info
i can only choose between one of the there chubbys.

either 1, 2 or 3.

should i just get another chubby 3 in super?

0 193
 11-03-2012, 08:00 AM
User Info
My vote goes for a Chubby 2 in 2-Band to compliment you Chubby 3 in either Manchurian or 3-Band.

Chubby 1 is NOT meant for bowl lathering, Chubby 2 is a good all rounder - still more aimed at face lathering, but handle size length makes it okay for the bowl.
Chubby 1 handle length makes it harder to use in the bowl without getting lather all over you hand and brush handle.

YMMV and all Wink

22 5,057
 11-03-2012, 08:17 AM
User Info
^^^ spot on IMO.

I prefer the CH1 as its easier to use.

I do have 2 chubby 2's but they don't get used as much as my ch1's.

7 1,179
 11-03-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
If you are committed to face lathering, Chubby 1 is the better choice. I have found the Chubby 2 to be too dense and too thick to be an effective face lathering brush. And Chubby 3...forget about it.

Personally I think there are other brushes that are better suited for face lathering (Dukes come to mind) by if you're set on the Chubby line, Chubby 1 is the best bet.

72 1,407
 11-03-2012, 08:37 AM
User Info
Get both. If you decide you don't want to keep one of them, you should have no trouble reselling.

184 12,003
 11-03-2012, 08:47 AM
User Info
I prefer the Chubby 1 in super, I would say that knot is just perfect, It's such a great all rounder, I find the Chubby 2 a little to large for me, but that's not to say you won't get on with it,

Jamie

5 1,805
 11-03-2012, 09:16 AM
User Info
wow opinions are all over the place.

looks like i may style for a second chubby 3.

I'll have a chubby in Manchurian & one in super.

don't wanna be committed to face layering with the chubby 1.

0 193
 11-03-2012, 09:58 AM
User Info
I think the CH1 handle is too small. Other than that, great brush.

CH2 is like a wall of badger. I like it. Biggrin

9 2,988
 11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
User Info
Like i mentioned in the other forum, i would go with the Chubby 3 in Best as you seem to really enjoy them. Good luck.

75 20,883
 11-03-2012, 11:05 AM
User Info
(11-03-2012, 10:09 AM)celestino Wrote: Like i mentioned in the other forum, i would go with the Chubby 3 in Best as you seem to really enjoy them. Good luck.

have never tried any Simpsons brush.
the Manchurian mentioned earlier is en route.

0 193
 11-03-2012, 11:31 AM
User Info
What are you looking for in this new brush?

9 2,988
 11-03-2012, 11:39 AM
User Info
(11-03-2012, 07:52 AM)hedonist222 Wrote: i can only choose between one of the there chubbys.

either 1, 2 or 3.

Why?

31 7,912
 11-03-2012, 11:56 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
There are umpteen other brushes available, why stockpiling Chubby 3 in all available variants only? If you really want the density of the hairs of a Chubby and want the possibility of bowl lathering, why not take a Polo in order to have at least a variety in handles?

I have 8 Simpson brushes, all on the small side. (Wee Scot, Case, Berkeley, 55, Duke 1 both in pure and in best, Colonel and Chubby 1)

I love them all, but if I was forced to sell one, it would clearly be the Chubby 1.
Reason is the absolutely unergonomic handle. I don't mind small handles, but the thick and short handle of the Chubby 1 is not at all my cup of tea.

0 229
 11-03-2012, 12:07 PM
User Info
This is a hard question to answer. Why don't you wait until you receive your chubby lll to decide if you want another CH3 or even another chubby? They are all three totally different beasts.

Chubby l: Perfect for face lathering, small size is great for travel, it offers great backbone for hard soaps. Appx knot size 23/43mm

Chubby ll: Fantastic for face or bowl lathering, good density, great size if you like a larger brush. Most people find the CH2 to be the "just right" brush of the chubby series.
Appx knot size 28/50mm

Chubby lll: Okay, so I am VERY bias here but this is one of the most, if not the most luxurious and beautiful shaving brush ever made. It is by far the best overall brush of the chubby series if you ask me, but you have to want a VERY large brush and as always, ymmv. The CH3 is not unruly as some state, I think most people who say that have never used one and assume that a brush that large must be uncontrollable. Imagine a wall of badger covering half your face yet offering you plenty of control to place the lather right where it needs to be. I never get lather in my ears or nose with the CH3, it's a sweetie. Let me state again though, you really have to like a VERY large brush to enjoy a CH3 to it's fullest. Appx knot size: 30/56mm

It's just my opinion but once again, get used to your CH3 when it comes in and then make an informed decision based on your preferences, not ours. Good luck and have fun either way!

63 2,128
 11-03-2012, 12:22 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I think a Polo would make a good next brush if you favor larger brushes like the CH3. I only face lather, which my Polo 10 Best and Manchurian are great at. But I suppose they'd be fantastic at bowl lathering, too.

Do not expect a knot of the same density as a Chubby in any of the other Simpsons models. No other brush in their line is packed like a Chubby. The Polos are a little less dense, with a taller loft. (Polo 10 is approx. 27x57mm, CH2 is approx. 27x50mm). If you like some backbone in your knots, go for 2-band Super or Manchurian.

43 1,690
 11-03-2012, 02:00 PM
User Info
(11-03-2012, 05:08 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: If it were me and since you already have a Chubby enroute, then I would look at something like the M7 handle.

(11-03-2012, 11:31 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: What are you looking for in this new brush?

Not really sure. A good brush. I have a ch3 on the way and want another one.

(11-03-2012, 11:39 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(11-03-2012, 07:52 AM)hedonist222 Wrote: i can only choose between one of the there chubbys.

either 1, 2 or 3.

Why?

Genuinely, why not?

(11-03-2012, 11:56 AM)Elbe Wrote: There are umpteen other brushes available, why stockpiling Chubby 3 in all available variants only? If you really want the density of the hairs of a Chubby and want the possibility of bowl lathering, why not take a Polo in order to have at least a variety in handles?

I have 8 Simpson brushes, all on the small side. (Wee Scot, Case, Berkeley, 55, Duke 1 both in pure and in best, Colonel and Chubby 1)

I love them all, but if I was forced to sell one, it would clearly be the Chubby 1.
Reason is the absolutely unergonomic handle. I don't mind small handles, but the thick and short handle of the Chubby 1 is not at all my cup of tea.

Because the retail store only has chubbys in stock and I really want to buy from this store.

But the short chubby 1 handle isn't an issue when you face lather right? Or is it?

(11-03-2012, 12:07 PM)cessnabird Wrote: This is a hard question to answer. Why don't you wait until you receive your chubby lll to decide if you want another CH3 or even another chubby? They are all three totally different beasts.

Chubby l: Perfect for face lathering, small size is great for travel, it offers great backbone for hard soaps. Appx knot size 23/43mm

Chubby ll: Fantastic for face or bowl lathering, good density, great size if you like a larger brush. Most people find the CH2 to be the "just right" brush of the chubby series.
Appx knot size 28/50mm

Chubby lll: Okay, so I am VERY bias here but this is one of the most, if not the most luxurious and beautiful shaving brush ever made. It is by far the best overall brush of the chubby series if you ask me, but you have to want a VERY large brush and as always, ymmv. The CH3 is not unruly as some state, I think most people who say that have never used one and assume that a brush that large must be uncontrollable. Imagine a wall of badger covering half your face yet offering you plenty of control to place the lather right where it needs to be. I never get lather in my ears or nose with the CH3, it's a sweetie. Let me state again though, you really have to like a VERY large brush to enjoy a CH3 to it's fullest. Appx knot size: 30/56mm

It's just my opinion but once again, get used to your CH3 when it comes in and then make an informed decision based on your preferences, not ours. Good luck and have fun either way!

Ideally I'd wait but it's time sensitive. Need to make the decision now.
Thanks !

(11-03-2012, 12:22 PM)Andrew Wrote: I think a Polo would make a good next brush if you favor larger brushes like the CH3. I only face lather, which my Polo 10 Best and Manchurian are great at. But I suppose they'd be fantastic at bowl lathering, too.

Do not expect a knot of the same density as a Chubby in any of the other Simpsons models. No other brush in their line is packed like a Chubby. The Polos are a little less dense, with a taller loft. (Polo 10 is approx. 27x57mm, CH2 is approx. 27x50mm). If you like some backbone in your knots, go for 2-band Super or Manchurian.

When you say density,do you mean knot size or knot size in relation to loft?
Because both the Polo 10 and chubby 2 have identical knot sizes.

0 193
 11-03-2012, 02:41 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(11-03-2012, 02:00 PM)hedonist222 Wrote:
(11-03-2012, 12:22 PM)Andrew Wrote: Do not expect a knot of the same density as a Chubby in any of the other Simpsons models. No other brush in their line is packed like a Chubby. The Polos are a little less dense, with a taller loft. (Polo 10 is approx. 27x57mm, CH2 is approx. 27x50mm). If you like some backbone in your knots, go for 2-band Super or Manchurian.

When you say density,do you mean knot size or knot size in relation to loft?
Because both the Polo 10 and chubby 2 have identical knot sizes.

Regarding density - I am talking about the amount of hair (number) packed into a knot. The density is not a factor of knot diameter or loft. But to confuse things, knot diameter and loft can affect the perceived density of a brush.

Polo 10 and Chubby 2 have a similar knot diameter (these handmade brushes all vary ever so slightly from one to the next). But the Polo and Chubby knots are quite different. As I mentioned above, the Polo 10 knot has a 5-7mm greater loft, and it is my personal experience that the Polo 10 knot is packed less densely. I am comparing my own CH2s and Polo 10s in both Best and Manchurian. My point: do not go for a Polo expecting a Chubby type knot on a bigger handle.

43 1,690