11-03-2012, 07:04 AM
User Info
http://shaveabuck.com/three-piece-razor-...bpqitbtbs4

This handle looks nice and it's heavy. On the cross section picture, it shows unplated portions. Is this ok? Also, I don't get the "O" ring function for the bottom knob piece, or why it's a separate piece all together. The head of the razor doesn't look too good to me so this would be a purchase just for the handle. I've seen something similiar to this handle produced by Bob:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Bobsrazors/...6571223426

2 97
 11-03-2012, 07:23 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(11-03-2012, 07:04 AM)Zondervan Wrote: http://shaveabuck.com/three-piece-razor-...bpqitbtbs4

This handle looks nice and it's heavy. On the cross section picture, it shows unplated portions. Is this ok? Also, I don't get the "O" ring function for the bottom knob piece, or why it's a separate piece all together. The head of the razor doesn't look too good to me so this would be a purchase just for the handle. I've seen something similiar to this handle produced by Bob:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Bobsrazors/...6571223426

for some reason the handles on these models are 3 piece. What I did was use some medium duty thread lock and screwed the handle together so it was now one piece. The handles are chrome over brass. Well made and nice grip.

100 12,444
 11-03-2012, 07:48 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I have one of these re-labeled the "Tonsorial Razor" from the NY Shaving Company. It is identical to the longer handled T1- Sabi razor that you link to.

It shares the same head as the NY Shaving Co's Mariner and aside from the Titan H1, it is the most aggressive closed comb design that I have ever tried, (I haven't tried the Tradere yet).

While being aggressive, it is still a nice, smooth shave with a very intuitive angle. The very heavy handle adds to the aggressiveness. If you want the head with another handle go to the NY Shaving Co's "Mariner Short Handle" or even the "Mariner Long Handle" version. Both handles are MUCH lighter than the Tonsorial or the Sabi version.

It's funny that I didn't even know that the bottom piece screwed off the main handle portion. If that concerns you, it shouldn't. It doesn't change a thing about a very good, very well priced razor.

While the handle is great, don't discount the razor head/complete package before you give it a shot. Smile

6 905
 11-03-2012, 09:01 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(11-03-2012, 07:48 AM)EHV Wrote: I have one of these re-labeled the "Tonsorial Razor" from the NY Shaving Company. It is identical to the longer handled T1- Sabi razor that you link to.

It shares the same head as the NY Shaving Co's Mariner and aside from the Titan H1, it is the most aggressive closed comb design that I have ever tried, (I haven't tried the Tradere yet).

While being aggressive, it is still a nice, smooth shave with a very intuitive angle. The very heavy handle adds to the aggressiveness. If you want the head with another handle go to the NY Shaving Co's "Mariner Short Handle" or even the "Mariner Long Handle" version. Both handles are MUCH lighter than the Tonsorial or the Sabi version.

It's funny that I didn't even know that the bottom piece screwed off the main handle portion. If that concerns you, it shouldn't. It doesn't change a thing about a very good, very well priced razor.

While the handle is great, don't discount the razor head/complete package before you give it a shot. Smile

I thread locked the handle so it wouldn't get loose in particular while shaving. Thank you for the info on the NY Shaving Co razors. I will check it out.

100 12,444
 11-03-2012, 09:34 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Jerry,

The NY Shave Co. does not list all of these variants on the website. I had ordered a Long Handled Mariner, (after purchasing the Short Handled version) and it wasn't available so they asked me if I wanted the Tonsorial as a substitute.

I agreed, not knowing that this was a Sabi razor and got it for the same price as either Mariner model.
Now, the Mariners are priced attractively and on par with the Sabi available from Shaveabuck Joe but I was later told that the Tonsorial razor is $70 from NY Shave Co. That's kinda crazy. I'm glad that I got if for the lower price and I am glad that Joe still has access to the Sabi's for people and at a great price. (Lets hope and pray that Joe is safe and sound)!!!

The Mariners are a great deal and as I mentioned, the shorter and/or lighter handles reduce the aggressiveness nicely if one wants that.

I appreciate the advice about thread locking the handle!
I think that I'll use the razor tonight for my post hurricane Sandy shave and await the Nor'easter coming mid week.
Eric

6 905
 11-03-2012, 10:14 AM
User Info
I have the T2 and purchased two of them just for the handles. They reminds me of BRW Bull Mastiff with a Flared Knob or deeper knurled Bell Tube you would see on a 1916 Aristocrat.

I am thinking of replacing the rubber O-Ring Gasket with a Red Chromed Brass ring of the same size.

Here are a few pics paired to different heads.

[Image: SOTD-11012012.jpg]
NEW Short Comb mounted to the T2 Handle

[Image: SOTD-11032012.jpg]
FaTip Grande Chrome mounted to the T2 Handle, although it did require a few twist of teflon tape for a proper fit.

[Image: Matador-05.jpg]
Cadet Open Comb Head (forefront) mounted to the T2 Handle.

5 833
 11-06-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
How aggressive is the Cadet Open-Comb head? I know it's hard to eye-ball but the Grande not only seems to have a prettier, but more significantly more blade-exposing head...

(11-03-2012, 10:14 AM)Azarius Wrote: I have the T2 and purchased two of them just for the handles. They reminds me of BRW Bull Mastiff with a Flared Knob or deeper knurled Bell Tube you would see on a 1916 Aristocrat.

I am thinking of replacing the rubber O-Ring Gasket with a Red Chromed Brass ring of the same size.

Here are a few pics paired to different heads.

[Image: SOTD-11012012.jpg]
NEW Short Comb mounted to the T2 Handle

[Image: SOTD-11032012.jpg]
FaTip Grande Chrome mounted to the T2 Handle, although it did require a few twist of teflon tape for a proper fit.

[Image: Matador-05.jpg]
Cadet Open Comb Head (forefront) mounted to the T2 Handle.

0 257
 11-07-2012, 06:45 AM
User Info
(11-06-2012, 07:38 PM)boYexTRAORDINaRE Wrote: How aggressive is the Cadet Open-Comb head? I know it's hard to eye-ball but the Grande not only seems to have a prettier, but more significantly more blade-exposing head...

Is is more aggressive than the FaTip. I would rate it only a notch below the 2011 R41, but without the harshness and raw feeling.

5 833