03-21-2012, 07:04 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I love my blackberry for emails, texting and the phone itself but have been getting frustrated at its relative inability to search the web. My two year commitment is up and I have been thinking of replacing it with an iPhone. Does anyone know approximately when the new iPhone will be released? Should I wait?

45 16,352
 03-21-2012, 07:11 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My youngest son has whatever the latest version is of the iPhone and he just loves it. He is a musician and in his travels sends me all kinds of pictures and videos. The quality of the images is great.

If I still traveled, I would have one. I say go for it now.

173 23,547
 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
You know what got me thinking about the iPhone? I want to be able to peruse the Shave Nook forum while away from my computer. Biggrin

45 16,352
 03-21-2012, 07:22 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(03-21-2012, 07:15 AM)bullgoose Wrote: You know what got me thinking about the iPhone? I want to be able to peruse the Shave Nook forum while away from my computer. Biggrin

That's the only reason I would get one. My old cheap phone works just fine for talking.

173 23,547
 03-21-2012, 08:24 AM
User Info
If Apple stays true to their timeline I'd expect the iPhone 5 to be announced this summer & available in the fall. I have the 4 & see no reason for the 4S as I'm planning on waiting for the 5. Since the iPhone was introduced its been my only phone.

31 7,914
 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
User Info
I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will be released at the end of this year or early 2013. Have you considered getting an Android smartphone?

0 23
 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-21-2012, 09:22 AM)Horatio Wrote: I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will be released at the end of this year or early 2013. Have you considered getting an Android smartphone?

I have considered it but am leaning towards the iPhone. My wife just got an Android a few weeks ago and I think the iPhone is a little more intuitive. I don't want to spend a lot of time figuring out how to use it.

45 16,352
 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Phil, I too am waiting for the new iPhone 5. I have heard rumors that we'll be hearing more about it from Apple in the autumn, possibly October. Interestingly, that is when my own two year commitment just happens to be up. Tongue

2 11,211
 03-21-2012, 01:29 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Its like a new razor model. Can't wait for the next one. If I ever get a smartphone it will be on one of those monthly plans and use 3g.

But I did hear that the i-phone 5 might have a 4" screen.

100 12,447
 03-21-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
(03-21-2012, 09:41 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(03-21-2012, 09:22 AM)Horatio Wrote: I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will be released at the end of this year or early 2013. Have you considered getting an Android smartphone?

I have considered it but am leaning towards the iPhone. My wife just got an Android a few weeks ago and I think the iPhone is a little more intuitive. I don't want to spend a lot of time figuring out how to use it.

Even though I prefer Android over an iPhone I do agree with you, the iPhone works right out of the box and with the Android it takes time to get used to . I was also debating getting an
iPhone but I decided to get a Samsung Galaxy Nexus since it has 4g and I could easily share the internet with my laptop.

0 23
 03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
User Info
My company tried to give me an iPhone (aka an electronic leash), but I declined and bought an Atrix 2 Android phone instead. The screen is a bit larger than the iPhone and so a little better for surfing the web. Especially The Shave Nook, which looks great on the phone even without Tapatalk. The voice quality is excellent, a big plus. It has been my observation over the years that Motorola phones have good long distance reception, better than other phones. It gets marginally better reception than my old Razr, and the Razr got decent reception where coworkers' phones could not even get a signal.

I found the Android interface quite easy to use, especially after using it a couple of days. Also, GSM Android handsets can be unlocked without too much fuss. If I am not mistaken, AT&T and T-Mobile will give you an unlock code upon request after 1 year. That is handy if you ever travel overseas and want to use a local SIM card to save big $$.

As for waiting for the next iPhone, it doesn't really matter. A year later something better will come out, regardless of when you buy your phone. That won't make your phone one bit less functional, and you can upgrade after two years anyway. Besides, as the iPhone 4 showed us, newer is not always better.

0 303
 03-21-2012, 10:32 PM
User Info
I use a Samsung Galaxy S II and LOVE IT! couldn't be happier!!

40 5,830
 03-23-2012, 06:35 PM
User Info
I used a BB through work for a number of years and a very basic personal phone. I turned the BlackBerry in last spring and got my first smartphone in October with the iPhone 4S. I really have enjoyed the phone and I believe that you are right on target with the intuitive feel of the iPhone. I researched android phones for a good while before deciding on the iPhone.

Release date for the iPhone 5 is speculation at this time but if you can hold out until then that would be my recommendation.

29 1,731
 03-23-2012, 07:41 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
I may hold off until the iPhone 5 comes out. My BB is working fine so there is no huge rush...I just cannot surf the web very well with it. Definitely more of a want than a need. Cool

45 16,352
 03-23-2012, 09:59 PM
User Info
(03-23-2012, 07:41 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I may hold off until the iPhone 5 comes out. My BB is working fine so there is no huge rush...I just cannot surf the web very well with it. Definitely more of a want than a need. Cool

let us know when you move into the 21st century. Biggrin

BBs are slow antiquated these days.

40 5,830
 03-24-2012, 06:22 AM
User Info
I have a Samsung Galaxy S II also. Now I'm not one of those fanboys for any particular platform. I use Windows, Mac, Linux..each has its good and bad. When I bought my phone for $0.96 at Sam's Club, it was more or less an impulse buy (sure, I'll take it with a $198.04 discount). I was in the market so I had been doing some cursory research and knew that the SII was the darling Android at the time.

As my first smart phone, it was very easy to learn to use. Later, when I would compare it to friends' and colleagues' iPhones, they looked really ugly. The Samsung has a larger screen (though not too large) and is much thinner. The iPhone looks like a lego brick in comparison.

I'm not saying the iPhone isn't a great phone, but I recommend doing some research to see if an Android might fit the bill, too.

4 112
 03-24-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info
If the iPhone 5 has a larger screen, 4g, and a good battery life then the wait would be worth it.

0 23
 03-24-2012, 07:56 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-23-2012, 09:59 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: let us know when you move into the 21st century. Biggrin

BBs are slow antiquated these days.

LOL...The BB is great for email which is important for my business and I like the keyboard rather than a "virtual quarty) touch screen. The BB is also virtually indestructible...I have dropped it several times with no consequences. That said, its web surfing ability is virtually non-existent. It is a bit of a trade off.

45 16,352
 03-24-2012, 07:58 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-24-2012, 06:22 AM)dontodd Wrote: As my first smart phone, it was very easy to learn to use. Later, when I would compare it to friends' and colleagues' iPhones, they looked really ugly. The Samsung has a larger screen (though not too large) and is much thinner. The iPhone looks like a lego brick in comparison.

That is a good point and is one of the things I do not like about the iPhone...they are a bit chunky.

45 16,352
 03-24-2012, 09:44 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
I use my droid 2 so often and have such great cell service where I live and work that when I went out last night I had five voice mail messages that were over a week old suddenly come through. Next time to upgrade the phone, I am going back to a simple dumb phone, preferably something with a cord. Wireless anything tanks at work, for example, move Bluetooth mouse, wait a minute for cursor to move...

0 253