11-04-2012, 10:54 AM
User Info
The threading inside the handle of my Merkur 45 Bakelite wore thin, and now the head can no longer stay affixed.

This happened to an all-metal Merkur (the Long-Handle Classic) several years ago, whereupon I mentioned it on the forums and was given someone at Merkur/Dovo to contact, whereupon a replacement was promptly sent out to me.

I'd the same to be done in this instance, with the Bakelite, unquestionably the best shaver I own.

I've emailed a.rothstein@dovo.com (Ann) to no avail.

Does anyone know with whom I should get in touch?

0 257
 11-04-2012, 11:07 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Nope...Anne is person you need to talk to. She sometimes is out of the office for sales trips so you need to be patient. She will return your email, eventually.

45 16,359
 11-04-2012, 11:28 AM
User Info
Being out of office is not an acceptable excuse for a serious business person.
There is remote access to every service provider I know. This is Europe, after all. There is an outgoing notification email for "out of office" when business people are serious and follow through.
Not to say that Merkur does not have serious staff.
It would not be fair for me to speculate why OP did not receive a reply to his emails. Even if the answer was "sorry we cannot help you" or "sorry, I am too busy now to be bothered", or "sorry, a broken plastic razor is not worth my time". I mean anything.

If the razor is less than a year old I would also contact the vendor.

IIRC there is a second person listed on their (DOVO) contact list.

7 358
 11-04-2012, 11:32 AM
User Info
I agree w/ the above - perhaps because it sympathizes with me more.

The razor's less than a year old, hasn't been abused.

I recall a prompter reply from Merkur, whether it was in the form of Ann or not, in the past.

It's been over a week.

0 257
 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Anna Rothstein doesn't always reply immediately but she does reply. You can always send her another email.

100 12,448
 11-04-2012, 11:48 AM
User Info
Time's moving oddly. I thought I'd emailed her a week+ ago, while my Gmail indicates it's been a mere four days.

Not knowing the A in the email stood for Ann/Anne/Anna, I accidentally addressed her as "Sir" but sent an email apologizing for it not long after.

"Dear Sir,

I've several DEs made by Merkur, including the rather new 45 Bakelite, arguably my favorite among them.

The other day I decided to shave with it, but, as I went to twist the three-piece shut, I discovered the razor's head was no longer staying connected to its handle.

The yellow metal screw in the head sames to be intact; I believe it's the threading within the hallow of the handle that's been compromised.

I was given your email upon making an inquiry for a replacement."

0 257
 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM
User Info
It also helps if you attach pictures and receipts. I would not consider email an urgent message and three days is normally my expected reply time. Although one week is not too bad, in my opinion. Sometimes three days seem like a week to me. Be patient is a good advice.

7 358
 11-04-2012, 11:56 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
If that is the case the past will easily screw into any of the older Gillette handles or bakelite which used to have a brass threaded tube inside(better than the current threaded plastic)Idea

6 1,913
 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(11-04-2012, 11:28 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Being out of office is not an acceptable excuse for a serious business person.
There is remote access to every service provider I know. This is Europe, after all. There is an outgoing notification email for "out of office" when business people are serious and follow through.
It would not be fair for me to speculate why OP did not receive a reply to his emails. Even if the answer was "sorry we cannot help you" or "sorry, I am too busy now to be bothered", or "sorry, a broken plastic razor is not worth my time". I mean anything.

Some of these old German companies do things a bit differently than an American Company. For instance, they close down for the entire month of August every year and I mean they close completely. Once they open up again, it takes several weeks for them to ramp up production. My point...your idea and their idea of a serious business is no doubt different. Anne will respond...it just sometimes takes awhile.

As Harvey said, you may want to send another email. It is possible that your initial email found its way into her spam folder.

45 16,359
 11-04-2012, 02:10 PM
User Info
You are right Phil. I think I let myself carried away and not see all possibilities.
Merkur always replied to my emails, just that my last email was... lost in cyberspace.

7 358
 11-04-2012, 02:12 PM
User Info
(11-04-2012, 12:51 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(11-04-2012, 11:28 AM)VerbaVolant Wrote: Being out of office is not an acceptable excuse for a serious business person.

Some of these old German companies do things a bit differently than an American Company. For instance, they close down for the entire month of August every year and I mean they close completely. Once they open up again, it takes several weeks for them to ramp up production.

Hey! Some Canadian companies do this as wellBiggrin

3 315
 11-04-2012, 05:18 PM
User Info
(11-04-2012, 11:56 AM)Harvey Wrote: If that is the case the past will easily screw into any of the older Gillette handles or bakelite which used to have a brass threaded tube inside(better than the current threaded plastic)Idea

That's how I ensured the screw in the head wasn't the source of the problem.

To the naked eye, the yellow-hued screw in the head looks perfectly well; it's difficult, on the other hand, to determine the condition of the threading within the handle - particularly in the 45, a dark razor.

But it is within the hollow of the razor's handle that the problem lays, as evidenced by my being able to twist the head onto other handles, making the ugliest frankenrazors known to man:

[Image: A65ZT1gCAAMw-vS.jpg]

0 257
 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(11-04-2012, 02:10 PM)VerbaVolant Wrote: You are right Phil. I think I let myself carried away and not see all possibilities.
Merkur always replied to my emails, just that my last email was... lost in cyberspace.

Trust me...it is definitely frustrating. The 37C, 39C, 34C and the 42C have been on back order for 2 1/2 months. I cannot help but think that if they did not close down production for over a month, I would have been able to replenish my stock. Angry

That said, I do not expect they will change their vacation practices anytime soon.

45 16,359
 11-06-2012, 04:36 AM
User Info
She replied, in 4 days. That's fine. And I've a new handle on the way. Wink

Thanks all.

0 257