11-04-2012, 12:27 PM
User Info
does anyone else have that problem? I've been using the homemade pre-shave oil that Teiste showed us how to make exclusively for the last few months.

I've found that when face lathering, it tends to dry out the cream much more than when I'd test lather the cream using the same exact brush in the palm of my hand. For example, when I shaved on Thursday night, I was using AoS cream and a NF brush. The lather was dry on my face. So after the shave, I tried using a new NF brush that I had come in a few weeks earlier with AoS cream in the palm of my hand. The lather was like night and day to me: the lather exploded within seconds of hitting it with a brush and produced enough lather to easily have 4-5 passes.

40 5,830
 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM
User Info
I haven't noticed that problem with either Shave Secret oil or my own homemade oil (which is a different recipe than Teiste's).

184 12,002
 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I haven't had that particular issue, though I did once use an excessive amount of pre-shave oil and it seemed to kill the lather. In essence as I applied the lather it disappeared. I simply rinsed my face off and re-lathered to continue my shave. Try using less oil and see if that makes a difference.

127 2,380
 11-04-2012, 03:36 PM
User Info
(11-04-2012, 01:38 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I haven't had that particular issue, though I did once use an excessive amount of pre-shave oil and it seemed to kill the lather. In essence as I applied the lather it disappeared. I simply rinsed my face off and re-lathered to continue my shave. Try using less oil and see if that makes a difference.

see, I don't think I used that much. in fact, I thought I could of used more, but I never did add any more. I think I used 3-4 drops.

I think I might forgo the pre-shave oil entirely for my next shave to see how it goes. like I said, when I palm lathered the shaving cream, it was excellent.

40 5,830