11-04-2012, 12:39 PM
User Info
Gentlemen:

There is an ongoing thread started by twallis titled "Donations For The Deployed." Many of us have expressed an interest in donating and there have been many good suggestions about how to go about this. In order to ge this going, I will help organize this drive. My daughter and her husband are active duty military and I understand the daily sacrifice made by those who serve to protect our freedom and way of life.

This project will be coordinated with HiFromAfghanist, who will assist us in making the actual distributions. The idea is to get together a number of "shaving kits" to be handed out on Xmas Day. Our service members have limited storage and far from adequate shaving facilities, so simplicty is the key here.

I've tried to incorporate the many good suggestions that have been posted, including those by slackskin and ShadowsDad. Taking all those suggestions into consideration, and mindful that the goal here is to get this going, each shaving kit will contain four items.

1. A DE, either new or vintage in good condition.
2. A supply of DE blades.
3. A boar brush that is either new or in almost new condition. (This includes new brushes that have been hand lathered to begin the breaking in process).
4. A tub of cream. (I've excluded soaps because that would require a dish or bowl).

Additionally, Captain Capsize has agreed to donate sample vials of his Captain's Choice aftershave for inclusion into each shaving kit.

Donations of any of the listed items should be sent to me at:

Ricardo Torres, Jr.
13343 S.W. 103 Place
Miami, FL 33176.

When you send donations, please include a note with your real name, ShaveNook name, and email, so I can keep track of donations and give everyone credit.

If you are purchasing any items to donate, you should consider the vendors who make this forum possible.

I will post what each member donates on this thread, maintain an inventory, and otherwise keep all of you advised with postings on the thread and photos . All donations should reach me by Nobember 30, 2012. I will then put together as many shaving kits as possible . SWMBO will assist me in obtaining a nice box for each shaving kit and packaging the individual kits. I will then mail everything to HiFromAfghanist for him to distribute in a manner he deems fair.

If anyone wants to discuss this with me please call me at (786) 514-6901, send me a pm, or email me at attorneyricardo@gmail.com.

Let's make this a success Gentlemen. Our warriors deserve this, and much more.

Thank you.

Ricardo

37 2,965
 11-04-2012, 01:12 PM
User Info
As this gets kicked off, I would sincerely like to thank every member of this forum.

The kind words and generous offers go far beyond what any Service Member would expect and I know that this will be much appreciated, more than words can express. I'm very excited to see the happiness and joy the members of this forum bring to our military members overseas, especially during the holidays when we are separated from our loved ones back home.

If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and thanks again for showing your support!

2 127
 11-04-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
I can donate black badger brushes to make up any deficiencies of brush, just let me know how many you need and if they are suitable.

9 2,988
 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM
User Info
(11-04-2012, 01:16 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I can donate black badger brushes to make up any deficiencies of brush, just let me know how many you need and if they are suitable.

Lee - that's great. Later on when we have a better sense of what we're getting we can discuss how many we may need. Thank you.

37 2,965
 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I just finished packing up some stuff to send your way which includes the following.

Razors
1957 Flare-tip Super Speed
1957 Ball-end Tech

Brush
Omega 10066 boar, like new but well broken in.

Blades
5 packs Rapira Swedish Super Steel
4 packs Ladas
4 packsVoskhod
10 packs Astra SP
1 pack Derby
1 pack Israeli Crystals

Soap
Arko stick x2
Palmolive stick x1

31 1,510
 11-04-2012, 01:37 PM
User Info
Gentlemen

Three points:

1. Arcadies is our first donor and he is sending 2 vintage Gillettes, DE blades, an Omega 10066, and some shave sticks! Our second donor is asharperrazor, who is donating black badger brushes. We're off to a good start!

2. When you donate, please post a thread on what you are sending. I will post a thread of what you have sent when I receive it.

3. I did not mean to suggest that everyone must donate each of the four items in the shave kits. You can donante any of the four items and I'll assemble shave kits by orgainzing the individual items.

Ricardo

37 2,965
 11-04-2012, 01:54 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(11-04-2012, 01:37 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: 3. I did not mean to suggest that everyone must donate each of the four items in the shave kits. You can donante any of the four items and I'll assemble shave kits by orgainzing the individual items.

Ricardo

I decided to just keep going until I had the small flat rate box packed to the gils..mission accomplished as there is not room for even 1 more pack of blades and it came out to 22 ounces.Biggrin

31 1,510
 11-04-2012, 03:05 PM
User Info
You will have 15-20 sample vials of my Captain's Choice bay rum aftershave on the way this week. They will be individually bubble wrapped and each sealed in a ziplock plastic bag with ID as to what it is.

GLAD to provide them and what a terrific idea for our troops.

6 323
 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Ricardo,

I will be sending you the following:

BRUSH: 1470 Semogue (Like New Condition)
SOAP: New Speick Stick
BLADES: 50 Derby
5 Rapira Platinum
5 Supermax Platinum
5 Astra Platinum
5 Lord Platinum

I will get it sent out to you by next Saturday at the latest. Thanks for setting this up.

45 3,955
 11-04-2012, 05:35 PM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
I would be willing to buy a $50 gift card from Italian Barber or Bullgoose to be used to buy additional items to finish off gifts. Is this any use to the cause?

1 111
 11-04-2012, 06:23 PM
User Info
Theido -- I think a gift card is an excellent idea. Can't speak for the boss (TheLegalRazor), just my opinion. But it will help balance things out at the end.

On a separate note, how can we help Legal deal with the shipping costs? They will mount up, and it isn't fair that Legal should do the organizing, assemble the kits, AND pay the postage.

15 316
 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM
User Info
Actually, using the large flat rate priority boxes, the shipping cost is extremely reasonable. Depends on how many of those boxes are needed of course.

Shipping to APO is only a few cents more than shipping to the states per ounce. It's basically like shipping to Hawaii.

That said, someone could donate the shipping costs. I think that's the best way to do it.

9 2,988
 11-04-2012, 06:31 PM
User Info
(11-04-2012, 06:23 PM)slackskin Wrote: Theido -- I think a gift card is an excellent idea. Can't speak for the boss (TheLegalRazor), just my opinion. But it will help balance things out at the end.

On a separate note, how can we help Legal deal with the shipping costs? They will mount up, and it isn't fair that Legal should do the organizing, assemble the kits, AND pay the postage.

Maybe do PayPal donations for that in particular? It is quite a bit of work. I'm assuming he will use the (large) flat-rate shipping boxes but that is still going to add up, as you said.

If you all prefer you could just ship the items and I can assemble the kits myself. That would make it a lot easier on your end and I know some Soldiers may prefer one soap to another dependant upon skin types. I do have a few African American Soldiers that don't use razors at all, instead they use 'clippers' and I am talking them into giving it a shot with a DE to help their skin so that is one of my worries in particular. Shipping the items in bulk could also give the Soldiers more of an interest as they could choose some of the items cultivating more interest within themselves for shaving. Any ideas?

2 127
 11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
User Info
Hmm, all I know is that coordination at the top level by someone needs to be done to make things run smoothly. That way we can make sure we have enough hardware & software to make kits.

9 2,988
 11-05-2012, 07:26 AM
User Info
(11-04-2012, 03:05 PM)Captain Capsize Wrote: You will have 15-20 sample vials of my Captain's Choice bay rum aftershave on the way this week. They will be individually bubble wrapped and each sealed in a ziplock plastic bag with ID as to what it is.

GLAD to provide them and what a terrific idea for our troops.

Thank you Captain Capsize.

(11-04-2012, 05:35 PM)Theido Wrote: I would be willing to buy a $50 gift card from Italian Barber or Bullgoose to be used to buy additional items to finish off gifts. Is this any use to the cause?

Theido

Your idea is excellent and generous. Towards the end of the month we can see where we stand on donations and I'll let you know what we're short on. You can place the order from the vendor of your choice for the items we need and have them shipped to me. If you'd rather send me the gift card I will use it to buy what is needed at BullGoose and let you know what was ordered.

Thank you.

Ricardo

(11-04-2012, 05:15 PM)tgutc Wrote: Ricardo,

I will be sending you the following:

BRUSH: 1470 Semogue (Like New Condition)
SOAP: New Speick Stick
BLADES: 50 Derby
5 Rapira Platinum
5 Supermax Platinum
5 Astra Platinum
5 Lord Platinum

I will get it sent out to you by next Saturday at the latest. Thanks for setting this up.

Thank you tgutc.

Gentlemen

HiFromAfghanist has suggested that instead of sending him pre-packged shaving kits, we send him everything in bulk. He'll then arrange something so that each solder can pick out what they want. What I envision is perhaps them drawing lots to determine the order, and then letting each soldier pick out his razor, a quantity of blades, his brush, and the cream of his choice.

What do you think about this?

37 2,965
 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM
User Info
I'm sure they can figure it out on their end who gets what. If they're new to wet shaving, I kind of doubt they'll know what to pick anyway.

9 2,988
 11-06-2012, 11:20 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Donating the following items:
  • RazoRock Jaws Open Comb DE razor: head used 11 times, handle hasn't been used
  • Palmolive Classic Shave Stick (50g): new, unused in box
  • Portman Square - Gin & Tonic English Style Cream (4oz): used twice
  • Portman Square - Orange Vetiver English Style Cream (4oz): used twice
  • Portman Square - Tropical Coconut English Style Cream (4oz): used twice
  • Astra Superior Platinum - 3 packs (15 blades)
  • Dorco Stainless New Platinum - ST301 - 1 pack (10 blades)
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp - Green Pack - 3 packs (15 blades)
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum - Blue Pack - 1 pack (5 blades)
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum - Black Pack - 2 pack (14 blades)
  • Lord Platinum - 1 pack (5 blades)
  • Personna Platinum Chrome Super Stainless Steel (Red Israel Personna) - 1 pack (10 blades)
  • Supermax Super Platinum - 3 packs (15 blades)
Plus throwing in the following "extras" I found going through the bathroom cabinet (all are new, unused):
  • Every Man Jack "Citrus Scrub" body bar x3
  • Prairie Creations "Green Irish Tweed" hand & bath soap
  • Pre-shave soap - Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar (Fragrance Free) x2
  • Post-shave moisturiser - Eucerin, Original Moisturizing Creme x1 travel size tube
  • Post-shave moisturiser - Gold Bond Ultimate, Healing Lotion & Cream with Aloe x3 travel size tubes
  • Post-shave moisturiser - Vaseline, MEN Fast Absorbing Body & Face Lotion x5 travel size tubes

[Image: aI37V.jpg]

2012-11-06: Care package donation items

[Image: wssCn.jpg]

2012-11-07: Care package donation items packed & ready for shipping

Edit: Added more items to help fill the box being sent to Ricardo

23 1,872
 11-06-2012, 11:44 AM
User Info
(11-06-2012, 11:20 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Donating the following items:
  • Portman Square - Gin & Tonic English Style Cream (4oz): used twice
  • Portman Square - Orange Vetiver English Style Cream (4oz): used twice
  • Portman Square - Tropical Coconut English Style Cream (4oz): used twice
  • Astra Superior Platinum - 2 packs (10 blades)
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp - Green Pack - 2 packs (10 blades)
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum - Blue Pack - 1 pack (5 blades)
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum - Black Pack - 1 pack (7 blades)
  • Personna Platinum Chrome Super Stainless Steel (Red Israel Personna) - 1 pack (10 blades)
  • Supermax Super Platinum - 2 packs (10 blades)
Plus throwing in the following "extras" I found going through the bathroom cabinet (all are new, unused):
  • Every Man Jack "Citrus Scrub" body bar x3
  • Pre-shave soap - Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar (Fragrance Free) x2
  • Post-shave moisturiser - Gold Bond Ultimate, Healing Lotion & Cream with Aloe x3 travel size tubes
  • Post-shave moisturiser - Vaseline, MEN Fast Absorbing Body & Face Lotion x5 travel size tubes

[Image: aI37V.jpg]

Care box donation items

Outstanding donation. Thank you.

37 2,965
 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(11-06-2012, 11:44 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Outstanding donation. Thank you.

No worries...

Ok! let me also throw this in (I've used the head 11 times, handle hasn't been used)...

[Image: 83HtQ.jpg]

RazoRock Jaws Open Comb DE razor

My review of that razor can be read here...

I will order a replacement one from Italian Barber...

23 1,872
 11-06-2012, 08:47 PM
User Info
Wow...just wow. To all of you. The items being donated are amazing. What's even more amazing is the amount of it all.

You are all definitely going to make me work for Christmas this year, hah! More than worth it to see the look on the Soldiers' faces though!

2 127