11-04-2012, 01:15 PM
User Info
Let's have it. I know you guys drink bourbon. We can start a different thread for Scotch.

My favorites from most to least expensive: (I haven't tried many top tier bourbons yet)

Pappy van Winkles
Blantons (although I think it's overrated & not very complex)
Russell's reserve
Bulleit (both rye & regular)
Woodford Reserve
Buffalo Trace
Maker's Mark

9 2,988
 11-04-2012, 04:58 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I'll join you in the Scotch thread discussion, bourbon is not my glass of tea Wink

88 4,233
 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
(11-04-2012, 04:58 PM)beartrap Wrote: I'll join you in the Scotch thread discussion, bourbon is not my glass of tea Wink

+1 Sorry, Lee, same here.

75 20,883
 11-04-2012, 07:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(11-04-2012, 01:15 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Let's have it. I know you guys drink bourbon. We can start a different thread for Scotch.

My favorites from most to least expensive: (I haven't tried many top tier bourbons yet)

Pappy van Winkles
Blantons (although I think it's overrated & not very complex)
Russell's reserve
Bulleit (both rye & regular)
Woodford Reserve
Buffalo Trace
Maker's Mark

I like the Woodford Reserve quite a bit and see a few in your list that I am curious about. I may need to try a new one this week. Cool

45 16,307
 11-04-2012, 08:03 PM
User Info
I think I'm going to try Basil Hayden next time I finish off a bottle.

I hear good things about it, but it ain't cheap.

9 2,988
 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM
User Info
If you haven't tried Noah's Mill yet, it's definitely worth checking out.

My usual is Bulleit, but thank you for reminding me about Buffalo Trace, which is no slouch. My wife is very fond of Woodford Reserve, but it seems inconsistent to me; it tastes too different from one bottle to the next, and the occasional bottle is not great at all.

Slumming it? Evan Williams won't hurt.

--Glenn

1 49
 05-25-2013, 08:32 PM
User Info
I know this is thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd jump in.

I like to keep Buffalo Trace stocked at all times- I call it my house bourbon. Friends always seem to enjoy it. I also like Elija Craig (18 years) quite a bit. And, as far as I'm concerned, you can never go wrong with Wild Turkey.

My new favorite is from a local distillery (the first distillery in Albany, NY since prohibition)- Albany Distilling Co. It's called Ironweed, and it is delicious. Highly recommend it f you're ever in the Upstate NY area.

[Image: 18PX9Kn.jpg]

2 234
 05-25-2013, 09:35 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It has been a long time since I've had any bourbon. Last I had was some George Dickel.

173 23,508
 05-26-2013, 04:29 AM
User Info
I used to enjoy Bourbon quite a bit, but have migrated to the less sweet Rye Whiskey these days if I decide to have a drink. Close but definitely a separate category. One of my favorites and the only bottle I have on hand is Michter's 25 Year Old Single Barrel Bourbon. It was given to me by my Father last year before his passing. I have decided to have a shot of it on his birthday each year to celebrate until it runs out.

Michter's distillery has some quality offerings.
http://www.michters.com/

18 567
 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I know that JD is a sour mash but that is my all time favorite. Wild Turkey isn't bad.

100 12,439
 05-26-2013, 05:18 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I'm with Steve and Celestino. Scotch is more my style.

I need to give bourbon a shot though, so hopefully this thread will give me some ideas.

14 1,177
 05-26-2013, 11:11 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Not sure if you guys know it but I spent a good 15 years in the restaurant business eventually getting certified as an Executive Chef. Can't play music and Chef at the same time and as music is a lot more fun I got out.... I still have a passion for cooking and I thought this was appropriate for this thread.

I have a great recipe for a steak Marinade that uses Makers Mark. It actually won a Chef's competition.... Now keep in mind this is a restaurant sized recipe and you may have to adjust it down...

1 qt. Molasses
1 pt. Makers Mark
2 tbs. Granulated Garlic
8 oz. Brown Sugar
2 tbs. Tabasco Sauce.

Mix Bourbon,brown sugar, garlic, & Tabasco till the sugar is dissolved. Mix in the molasses.
Place your steaks in a zip lock bag and add enough marinade to cover. Reserve the remaining marinade for basting. Marinate for at least 4 hours. I let mine marinate overe night. Grill the steaks over a very hot fire. I'm a charcoal guy. For a steak 3/4" thick I cook about 7 minutes a side for Medium. After they are done a quick baste and flip- no more than 30 seconds and you're there...
There it is... ENJOY!

5 1,151
 05-26-2013, 11:12 PM
User Info
Not many bourbons available last I looked up here in Maine (years ago), but when I imbibed of the sour mash Evan Williams and Ezra Brooks come to mind. I probably ought to check the bourbon rack again, things might have changed.

32 6,309
 05-27-2013, 05:58 AM
User Info
that steak marinade sounds delicious. i will def be giving it a whirl very soon.

when I drink, I pretty much always drink bourbon, but Jack Daniels will do in a pinch. Wink

2 234
 05-27-2013, 08:19 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Sav, those marinated steaks sound delicious. Almost as good as Haggis... but not quite. Biggrin

2 11,211
 05-27-2013, 10:25 AM
User Info
Ah yes Bourbon! Im a scotch drinker but really enjoy Bourbon as well, especially during the New England winter. Although I prefer an Ardbeg or Lagavulin 16 on a cold winter evening, my "every day" bourbon would be Eagle rare small batch and Elijah Craig. For special Bourbon days it would be Basil Hayden and Pappy van Winkle. My definition of the good old days: "When we were old enough to drink and the scotch was older than we were."
Slainte!

0 113
 05-27-2013, 12:54 PM
User Info
Pappy is so good....

GQ sent me a free magazine (probably buying too many shoes...) and inside the maker's of Pappy's recommended WL Wellington from the Buffalo Trace distillery. Very reasonably priced at Bevmo too.

I might pick up a bottle next time I polish one off.

Lately I've picked up Angel's Envy or something from Costco. Finished in some weird cask that gives it a smoother or sweeter finish. It's pretty smooth. Definitely not traditional bourbon, but goes down nicely in the summer!

9 2,988
 08-11-2013, 12:12 PM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just saw this via the "Whisky"/Scotch thread.

+1 for Buffalo Trace. Good bourbon, good price.

Bob

[Image: BuffaloTrace_zpsf5c96853.png]

4 2,377
 08-11-2013, 04:29 PM
  • Blue line
  • East Central Alabama
User Info
Ezra Brooks is a great inexpensive mash. Elijah Craig is my favorite. The cinnamon nearly burns you. Eagle Rare is a good one as well.

2 334
 08-11-2013, 04:41 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(08-11-2013, 12:12 PM)Coyote Wrote: I just saw this via the "Whisky"/Scotch thread.

+1 for Buffalo Trace. Good bourbon, good price.

Bob

I will have to keep my eye out for it. That would hit the spot right about now. Biggrin

45 16,307