08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
User Info
Buffalo is terribly underrated. However, it seems it's gaining traction and the price is starting to creep up.

That distillery makes/made mash for some really high end brands.

I'm really liking the Eagle Rare Bevmo select right now. Great price, great taste. Cheaper than craft beer too, lol.

Had Baker's at a higher end restaurant last week. It was good stuff. Cask strength though. One round was like drinking two rounds. Took me a good amount of time to finish it off.

9 3,024
 08-15-2013, 01:27 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Stumbled across this today.. Since we have all three topics going right now (whisky, Whiskey, and Bourbon), I thought it best to post this here....

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/bourbon-whiskey-guide/

I found it particularly interesting when it talked about what regulatory guidelines a distillery must adhere to in order to call their product bourbon....

Worth a read in my opinion....

18 1,182
 08-22-2013, 06:43 PM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
I'll agree with the Blantons being overrated for the $55 I paid for a 750ml bottle, it left me displeased. My go-to is Knob Creek 100 proof, Bulleit or Four Roses Small Batch. When I lived in Kentucky I was lucky enough to check out most of the distillery's and got to sample a lot!

As of recently tho I've left bourbon and starting to find the finer side of Rum's. And I have not been disappointed. If you get a chance, do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of Diplomatico Rum Reserva Exclusiva it runs around $38 for 750ml here in Florida or Appleton Estate 12 year it runs about $33 for 750ml.

Anyway the best part is finding the one you like best!

Have fun and enjoy.

Joshua

5 123
 08-23-2013, 08:45 AM
User Info
High end rum huh? To be honest I've never heard of such a thing before.

Thanks to the fold at TSN for recommending Elijah Craig. Excellent stuff!

9 3,024
 08-23-2013, 10:50 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Yea, most think rum's are only for mixing thanks to cpt morgan/barcardi/malibu! Sad but they make really great sippers and in my opinion have a lot more flavor than Bourbons (but that's just to my taste!)

5 123
 08-24-2013, 06:01 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I truly enjoy good rum. I lived on St. Croix, USVI for five years. The Cruzan Dark Rum (not exported-they water the 151 dark to export) is superb. I also enjoy Mt. Gay. Both just need a splash of water and a lime twist.

Now.....back to Bourbon!

4 2,657
 08-24-2013, 08:09 AM
User Info
(08-24-2013, 06:01 AM)Coyote Wrote: I truly enjoy good rum. I lived on St. Croix, USVI for five years. The Cruzan Dark Rum (not exported-they water the 151 dark to export) is superb. I also enjoy Mt. Gay. Both just need a splash of water and a lime twist.

Now.....back to Bourbon!

At the price there, It was very hard not to drink Wink

6 1,224
 08-24-2013, 08:36 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Eric-Too true. The mix, if you use it, costs more than the rum. That is why most drinks have 2-3 shots of rum because it is less expensive that the mix! I used to hear the tourists say: "....but I only had two drinks!" Yep, but you had 4-6 shots!

4 2,657
 09-04-2013, 12:54 PM
User Info
Jim Beam Black keeps me alive. Smile

0 34
 09-04-2013, 01:00 PM
User Info
Pappy Van Winkle is so smooth, it shouldn't even be counted as a bourbon...no burn at all!

2 102
 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM
User Info
(09-04-2013, 01:00 PM)SFGiantsFan Wrote: Pappy Van Winkle is so smooth, it shouldn't even be counted as a bourbon...no burn at all!

I love the peppermint taste it has.

Hate how it's all the rage right now. Can't even get a bottle to save my life. Hell, six or seven years ago, they sat on shelves for months at a time.

9 3,024
 09-05-2013, 02:33 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
I stumbled across this awhile back while looking for some PVW. "If you "like" Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery on Facebook they tell you when the allotments are shipped to specific states."
I never did it because I gave up the search. But maybe it will help you find some!

5 123
 09-08-2013, 09:16 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Makers Mark

31 426
 09-15-2013, 10:30 PM
  • Pudu
User Info
I was never a bourbon fan until a couple of summers ago when a close friend in Seattle opened my eyes to what I was missing. At the moment though, the only ones I have access to are Knob Creek 9, Woodford Reserve, Blantons, and Makers Mark.

However over the weekend I tried making gomme syrup for the first time and premiered it in a Blanton's Old Fashioned with just Angostura (no orange silliness). Gotta say the gomme was an unqualified success - makes a drink dangerously smooth. I wonder why it ever fell out of fashion.

0 33
 09-16-2013, 12:16 AM
User Info
Gomme sounds a little harder to make, so probably one of the reasons.

Woodford Reserve is smooth stuff. I think I'll be picking up a bottle of their special stuff next. Forget what it's called.

Blanton's is overpriced, but is a quality bourbon. That said, the bottle is fantastic.

9 3,024
 10-21-2013, 11:06 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I have to say, I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace this weekend...Quite impressed. As stated earlier in this thread, I'm more Scotch Whisky drinker than a Bourbon, but I rather liked the sweetness in it. Quite a change from my regular Glenmorangie. I think from now on I'll keep it on hand, unless of course anyone can recommend something else.

I do have on my list to try Bulleit, Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, and Eagle Rare. Although I'll probably try the least expensive, or closest to Buffalo, first. Anyone have any suggestions as to which should be next on my Bourbon list? A little less sweet might not be such a bad thing.

18 1,182
 10-21-2013, 01:17 PM
User Info
Hmm, Eagle Rare is possibly my favorite amongst those you list. Elijah Craig is a must try, IMO.

Bulleit is good, but lacks complexity. Didn't like Four Roses, didn't taste distinct to me. But other people do like it.

Woodford is a go to favorite.

As for Scotch.... Hmmm, Highland Park is the only non-peaty Scotch I keep on hand. Nadurra isn't bad. Balvenie double barrel is great. I'd keep some Balvenie on hand. Good stuff, not too pricey.

9 3,024
 10-21-2013, 05:04 PM
  • Sin7
User Info
(10-21-2013, 01:17 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Hmm, Eagle Rare is possibly my favorite amongst those you list. Elijah Craig is a must try, IMO.

Bulleit is good, but lacks complexity. Didn't like Four Roses, didn't taste distinct to me. But other people do like it.

Woodford is a go to favorite.

As for Scotch.... Hmmm, Highland Park is the only non-peaty Scotch I keep on hand. Nadurra isn't bad. Balvenie double barrel is great. I'd keep some Balvenie on hand. Good stuff, not too pricey.

Love Highland Park. And I'm one of the other people that do like Four Roses, but then again I am not experienced in bourbon as I'd like to be.

0 20
 10-21-2013, 05:10 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I enjoy Jefferson's Reserve.

8 1,242
 10-22-2013, 11:00 PM
User Info
(10-21-2013, 05:10 PM)Sully Wrote: I enjoy Jefferson's Reserve.

That's a highly touted bourbon that I can firmly get behind.

I don't know what it was about 4 roses that I just thought "meh".

9 3,024