11-05-2012, 07:36 AM
User Info
Hello, I have been reading the discussions about shave soap and am actually amazed at how many different soaps men use to shave. Huh

From my college jobs in retail women's skin care, we were taught that women are VERY loyal to their skin care routines and my experience was the same.

So help me understand: do you consider shave soap as skin care? (I know there is another section for skin care related posts but does it exclude shave soap?)

How many soaps do you use regularily? And the collections are they collections to keep or collections you intend to use? Do you use them or are they like a wine collections/tool collections - more to have then to consume?

It's really facinating for me. I did not realize the depth of the passion for shaving.

Inguiring minds would love to know.

And thank you for sharing with me, I am honored to know.

0 135
 11-05-2012, 07:59 AM
User Info
My shave soap stash is for use. I believe that we all enjoy some variety as far as scent goes. Other than that, we all have different chemistries so some soaps perform better than others. Mostly though, I think it's having a variety that is the main reason. Once you get into the top tier soaps, there is not that much of a difference in performance so it just comes down to personal preferences and what one is in the mood for that day.

Would you wear the same style pants, shirts, and shoes every day? In the same colors even? If not, then I'm curious why you have such a passion for clothing? Winky

31 7,914
 11-05-2012, 11:14 AM
User Info
My collection is for use as well and includes modern soaps/creams along with vintage soaps from the '70s and possibly earlier. But all are being used and will eventually get used up if I live that long. I probably don't need to buy anymore for quite some time.

The top soaps have some aspect of skin care built in, but I almost never use them exclusively for skin care, but they can certainly be used that way.

I count 32 soaps/croaps/creams in use at the moment in my cabinet. I mostly use them as the mood strikes me, but I've been known to take them in order as well and work my way through the cabinet. Right now I'm concentrating on trying to use up 2 vintage soaps and 2 modern soaps, just to give me some room for some that I might like more. I might actaully use them up in a year or so, since my other soaps will get lonely if I don't use thenm a bit also.

Then there are soaps that are just more of a winter scent and those that are more of a summer scent. The comparison to clothing is quite good.

What surprises me most are the floral soaps that we guys use. I never thought I'd ever like anything floral, but I'll be darned if it isn't nice once in a while.

OK, having written that, I KNOW there are gents on this forum that put my 32 choices to shame with their soap collections.

KL, "passion for shaving..." we still haven't gotten into the razors, and brushes. Look in the "Collections, Display, and Storage" forum to see some soaps and various other items. Also in "The monthly Haul", heck, it's everywhere on TSN.

Oh yeah, it's a passion all right! I'll be eating breakfast and just mutter, "Decisions, decisions..." and my wife knows I'm already contemplating what to use for my shave. But it's enjoyable and guys will do it every day for the rest of their lives if we don't want to look like a rat in a garbage dump, so we might as well make it enjoyable.

32 6,311
 11-05-2012, 11:42 AM
User Info
(11-05-2012, 07:59 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: My shave soap stash is for use. I believe that we all enjoy some variety as far as scent goes. Other than that, we all have different chemistries so some soaps perform better than others. Mostly though, I think it's having a variety that is the main reason. Once you get into the top tier soaps, there is not that much of a difference in performance so it just comes down to personal preferences and what one is in the mood for that day.

Would you wear the same style pants, shirts, and shoes every day? In the same colors even? If not, then I'm curious why you have such a passion for clothing? Winky

Excellent point. Fab analogy w/ clothing. I didn't think of it from that perspective which is why I asked Wink

Unfortunately as an ex-NYer my clothes tend to be from black to black - bahahahahah and an addiction to patent leather pointy shoes but that's a whole other topic.

Shave soaps = shoes: all foot wear with slight differences and change everything . Excellent.

0 135