11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
User Info
Every time I shave with my shavette I get THE Worst razor burn, sometime I get a little with my SR. I mix an excellent lather and use Astra double platinum blades. What can I do to stop this horrible looking mine field in my neck?

0 40
 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM
User Info
So, good to decent shaves with a real straight and bad shaves with a Shavette?

Sounds like part of the problem is the worse sharpening on a DE than a real straight. Other than that, I'll wait for more information before commenting further.

9 2,987
 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
User Info
I ment saftey razor and shavette I don't have a shave ready yet. All I really use is the Astra double platinum blades in my shavette or in my saftey razor. I really hope it's not the blades I've got over 100 of them off of amazon for ten bucks.

0 40
 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM
User Info
(11-05-2012, 02:30 PM)StrattDaddy Wrote: I ment saftey razor and shavette I don't have a shave ready yet. All I really use is the Astra double platinum blades in my shavette or in my saftey razor. I really hope it's not the blades I've got over 100 of them off of amazon for ten bucks.

I'd blame your technique before the blade.

Let's try to isolate the problem.

Do you get razor burn from modern razors?

Double-edged safety razors are easier to use than shavettes, by and large, so I'd start with learning the appropriate technique with some such razor.

Whether your razor is is a DE, Shavette or modern, use light strokes - shaving with minimal pressure. That's the key to everything - especially not inciting razor burn.

0 257
 11-05-2012, 02:56 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The lack of pre-shave preparation is probably the biggest culprit for irritation. The second thing to check is the amount of pressure you are using and the blade angle and the final common possibility is that the products you are using for your prep/lather are causing the irritation.

If you are giving your skin and beard adequate cleansing and moisturizing time then maybe sit back and watch a video or two from Mantic59 on Youtube to make sure you're dialed in for the proper technique.

121 2,257
 11-06-2012, 08:42 AM
User Info
I was using quite a bit if pressure. My hair grows in from side to side instead of up or down so my angle of approach is odd on the left side of my face. I'll use less pressure and more technique next time thanks for the help.

0 40
 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM
  • 2dwgs
  • North Carolina
User Info
Yup, pressure. Stretching too much can irritate my skin too, I'll stretch on my cheeks and chin, but stretching on my neck tends to give a little burn.

12 83
 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM
User Info
Sounds like too much pressure. Good luck in resolving this issue.

74 20,801
 11-12-2012, 02:04 PM
User Info
When you mean your hair grows side to side are you taking about you're neck I have the same problem and I've started to one to terms with it granted I've bee shaving for a year and I have my prep down and my technique down its my skin being a bugger. I would try from your Adams apple kinda at a 45 degree angle since its impossible to shave side to side like you caN with a de tabs use not pressure but the weight of the razor

12 568
 11-14-2012, 02:31 PM
User Info
SDaddy, I want you to succeed at this so just don't use less pressure, use A LOT less pressure. Cartridges require pressure to function correctly. Blade razors want so little that if your skin is deforming under the razor it's far too much. The razor should caress the skin, not beat it into submission.

OK, test the blade you use on something (an orange would be good) to determine how sharp it is- not mounted in the razor, just the blade alone- be careful! Now take a fresh blade and decide how much pressure you want to use against your skin based on the orange test, with the blade only, not putting it into a razor (don't actually shave this way). Just consider the sharpness and the pressure you'd want to use. It's a mental exercise, nothing more. Use the same pressure when it's mounted in a razor since the only difference between a bare blade and one in a razor is that the razor only prevents it from taking more than 1/16" depth of a slice of skin. Get the idea? It's a "Safety" razor. That means you can't go through to the teeth when the blade is in the razor. The blade is every bit as ultra sharp as it was when you used it against the orange or whatever you tested it against above. Except when it counts it's your skin and the blood beneath.

It's OK to remove 1 or 2 layers of dead skin cells when shaving and I do that regularly with a fresh blade and a very aggressive razor. But when you remove living skin cells you begin to cut into live nerve endings and that's precisely the cause of razor burn.

We like to tell folks to use NO pressure, but that's done to use words that over compensate for the tendency to use too much pressure. That is, to drive home what is required. The truth is to use just enough pressure to keep the blade from chattering (keep it against the skin), but not enough to deform the skin. If you have a death hold on the razor, that's also a negative. A death hold allows too much pressure. One should be able to pull the razor out of the grip freely and w/o resistance. The grip supports the razor in position and nothing more. It lends no pressure to the razor.

32 6,302
 11-15-2012, 06:58 AM
User Info
When I usually get razor burn I have done a poor job making lather, I over hydrate the lather. This happens when I am in a rush or just not paying attention. Everything is in play when it comes to good technique. But, if you are having razor burn make sire you have a solid lather using plenty of product and as mentioned earlier, let the razor do its own work. Astra are plenty sharp and do not need any help.

11 234
 11-15-2012, 04:22 PM
User Info
(11-05-2012, 01:54 PM)StrattDaddy Wrote: ...What can I do to stop this horrible looking mine field in my neck?

I do not have enough experience for a sound advice and I agree with all others that replied to your post, very good advices indeed.
I would like to add a link to a study that I believe to help anyone's understanding of this issue. The study is called Insights into shaving and its impact on skin and it was published by the British Journal of Dermatology:

I also noticed a huge improvement after I started to use potassium alum block. The only one I have tried so far is Osma (I have the large size, 120gr I believe).

Good luck!

7 358
 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM
User Info
Awsome guys thanks alot

0 40
 11-20-2012, 11:03 AM
User Info
SD irritation is a technique issue, usually caused by pressure and/or haste. Even with the best preparation shaving too quickly can have a burnishing effect on your skin.

I wouldn't give up on the equipment you are using but a tip I have offered in the past has worked for other shavers. Pick up some single edge disposable razors and use one very gently on your neck and any other problem area of your face. Your shave may not be as close as you would like but it will help get the irritation under control while you work on technique.

0 500